Lt. Commander
# 1 What Makes an Enterprise?
05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I tend to read through the forums daily, & the biggest response I've seen so far is the reactions of the new Enterprise-F coming soon. To be honest, I've never seen such a negative reaction to anything in STO. Personally, I think the new Enterprise-F looks fine .... but I'm not ready to call it the Enterprise yet. Which lead to a question posed to me & a few others just recently by a friend/fleetmate, & I'd like to hear what others think regarding this question:

What Makes an Enterprise?

Every Enterprise, ship wise, was THE top of the line (or damn close) cruiser in Starfleet. The Enterprise was the flagship of the Federation ... the BEST it had. But the biggest factor wasn't the ship itself, but the crew. Thinking back to every episode of Star Trek, and every Star Trek game you've played, when all hell was breaking loose and the Enterprise showed up, what you were thinking? The Enterprise is more then just a ship.

I won't be ready to call Enterprise-F "The Enterprise" until I see the finished product ... that includes its captain & what it can/will do in action.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
The Enterprise is just a ship. Not top-of-the-line (remember ST5?).
It's the crew that make it exceptional.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2011, 06:32 PM
... and the writing staff..
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Nothing.

It's just a ship.

We could have easily had Star Trek, with the Starship Lollipop under Captain Temple....
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoratusAlpha
The Enterprise is just a ship. Not top-of-the-line (remember ST5?).
It's the crew that make it exceptional.
From ST3 to ST6, the Constitution-class was beaten out by the Excelisor, which still made it one of the better ships during its time.. And I do agree the crew is the biggest factor.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-12-2011, 04:51 AM
When ever I think "Enterprise" the crew is the first thing that comes to mind, the crew is the soul of the ship, the drama, the laughs, the ups and downs, the chemistry between the crew whatever you want to call it.

Seeing the new Enterprise F in game will do little for me because well.... it just does not feel like the Enterprise. It's the same thing when I saw the Enterprise J, to me it was just a ship with a famous name.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-12-2011, 04:52 AM
While it's entirely true that it's the crew and not the ship...

Enterprises have typically followed a rather flowing design set up, as has been said before in numerous places by numerous people, you can draw a line from 1701 all the way to 1701-E. And the main complaint about the winner that alot of people have (myself included) is that this seems like a step back in that line.

Now, is it such a big deal as to make me rage quit? No. If the writers can pull it off, this might become one of my favorites. But to have that line seem to get interrupted is a bit jarring.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife
When ever I think "Enterprise" the crew is the first thing that comes to mind, the crew is the soul of the ship, the drama, the laughs, the ups and downs, the chemistry between the crew whatever you want to call it.

Seeing the new Enterprise F in game will do little for me because well.... it just does not feel like the Enterprise. It's the same thing when I saw the Enterprise J, to me it was just a ship with a famous name.
That makes alot of sense. We, as fans, tend to think highly of the name Enterprise because we grow familar with the crews. I had the same reactions to Enterprise-J as well. Much like I had a negative reaction to the Enterprise-B mainly because of its captain, knowing that it was a good ship.

I've began to think, in order to give the new Enterprise-F a far chance, much more needs to be done ... as in giving it a crew, we as players & fans, can interact with during missions & perhaps grow to respect.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Every Enterprise, ship wise, was THE top of the line (or damn close) cruiser in Starfleet.
Actually, this must be false. When the damaged Enterprise limps back to Earth after WoK, Admiral What's-his-face gently points out to Kirk that the Enterprise is old, and will not be fixed up. (Side-note: Proof that TMP never happened!) So at that point in time, the Enterprise is obviously not the 'Pride of Starfleet', just another old Constitution-class cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanPhsyco
While it's entirely true that it's the crew and not the ship...

Enterprises have typically followed a rather flowing design set up, as has been said before in numerous places by numerous people, you can draw a line from 1701 all the way to 1701-E. And the main complaint about the winner that alot of people have (myself included) is that this seems like a step back in that line.

Now, is it such a big deal as to make me rage quit? No. If the writers can pull it off, this might become one of my favorites. But to have that line seem to get interrupted is a bit jarring.
If I remember correctly, the "neck" was the main complaint. To be completely honest, the only two ships with the name Enterprise I ever really liked was the Constitution-Refit & the Sovereign. The rest I wasn't too thrilled about. Still, I find the orginal concept of the winner's design interesting.

That said, I haven't encountered ANYTHING with this game to warrant such an immature response as "rage quiting." Your last statement has been the best description of what's going on. Considering the ACTUAL Enterprise-F hasn't been revealed yet, I think fans will be ok with the final outcome. I'm still thinking more along the lines of a captain & crew for the new Enteprise.