Lt. Commander
# 11
05-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Actually, this must be false. When the damaged Enterprise limps back to Earth after WoK, Admiral What's-his-face gently points out to Kirk that the Enterprise is old, and will not be fixed up. (Side-note: Proof that TMP never happened!) So at that point in time, the Enterprise is obviously not the 'Pride of Starfleet', just another old Constitution-class cruiser.
I probably should have worded that better. Nonetheless, the Constitution refit was still up there in the ship lines of Starfleet. The only other Starfleet ships that beat out the Constitution refits were the Excelsior (which during that time, only had one). Much like the comparison between a Galaxy-class & the Sovereign-class.

Sidenote: TMP never happened ..... Have you gone mad :p ?
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-12-2011, 07:18 AM
On the shallow side:-
Two Nacelles on pylons
Saucer section
Engineering section
Bridge
Majestic and cool, with atleast a slight aerodynamic feel as well as balance (even though neither important in space).
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Actually, this must be false. When the damaged Enterprise limps back to Earth after WoK, Admiral What's-his-face gently points out to Kirk that the Enterprise is old, and will not be fixed up. (Side-note: Proof that TMP never happened!) So at that point in time, the Enterprise is obviously not the 'Pride of Starfleet', just another old Constitution-class cruiser.
Not counting the time gap between ST1 and ST2...at least, as I recall, one full 5-year mission. There are several 'Lost Years' gaps between the first 6 films. As I recall, the original NCC-1701 went through several 5-year long missions.

As for the STO NCC-1701-F...as I've only seen a 2-D pic that won a contest thus far, can't really say how good she looks or not. For that, I would have to see her in 3-D and from multiple angles (ie, bow, aft, port, starboard, dorsal, ventral, et cetera).
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-12-2011, 08:00 AM
INC SHORT HISTORY LESSON!

The name Enterprise has been given to US naval flagships since after the revolutionary war. The first one was a gift to the US from france in 1779. At the time it was one of the largest and best armed ships of its kind.
The Enterprise was reborn for the war of 1812, and again for the Civil war, but this time it was as an ironclad ship, armed with short range mortar cannons.
In World War 2, the Enterprise was the name of an aircraft carrier stationed in the Pacific. It was the same class as the Yorktown. Both the Enterprise and Yorktown along with the USS Hornet are featured in the movie Midway, featuring actual footage from the battle of midway and the Enterprise.
In 1976, the Enterprise made its return as the US Navy Flagship. The Enterprise is the largest and most capable aircraft carrier in the world and also the first ever to utilize nuclear reactor power.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Shadow_Phoenix View Post
As for the STO NCC-1701-F...as I've only seen a 2-D pic that won a contest thus far, can't really say how good she looks or not. For that, I would have to see her in 3-D and from multiple angles (ie, bow, aft, port, starboard, dorsal, ventral, et cetera).
On an episode of STOked they have a "rough" 3-D view of the Enterprise F Here

Edit:

Did some looking and found a link to the source of the 3D images which is here.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-12-2011, 08:03 AM
The crew

Without it, the ship would be just another Fed cruiser..
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-12-2011, 08:23 AM
The Ship is long over due to Set up as the First of its own Design Class.

In keeping with Terrestrial Naval Tradition a Ships Class designation is for the most part derived from the First ship in the Series.

A FLagships Staff Core Senior Leadership Transfers with the Command
The Flag can go to any ship.. But for the ship to be a flagship or more iconic it needs the facilities size and dominate capabilities unique to it alone.

An Elite crew can do more with an average ship then a Green crew w a hundred more guns in the days of sail.

The Flagship of the Fleet or "A" fleet.. would go to the Best of the Best in the Modern age and less to the best connected. So I expect Senior Fleet Captain Data to Pass the Baton
That the Crew and Command Staff of the ENT will be a matter of deep thought and writings on par and beyond the PATH TO.

The Best Fleets are moored or anchored they exhibit their Flagship for all to see and respect. it never travels alone..of sits at a transwarp gate for long. It's on the hottest missions and has a special dire needs COMM line to the Chief of Operations and can make Empire Decisions that affect the Empire or Quadrant without debating in the Imperial Senate Chambers or second guessing.

IF i get out of lien my Vulcan Kommissar will nerve pinch me and take the ship back for new trials.. oops Freudian Archerprise slip there..

No The Enterprise has to be a place where everyone wants to serve a lofty goal.. It's better to be Lieutenant running the ships Laundry on the End then to Rule a Prison Colony.. as a Senior Post Captain..
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife

Edit:

Looks like a cross between an Oberth and a Galaxy....odd is all I can say.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife

Edit:

STOked but my question in a poll !!! Though I think they thought of it first :p . Still glad I asked the community though. And the new Enterprise, for some reason, just looks far better to me now with the 3D rendering & additional detail.