Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Hot buttered potato rolls!
Hot-buttered jalapeno cream cheese cornbread rolls
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
P.S. HeathenStorm get "The Killing Circus" on Holodeck all-ready, that mission was to cool.
I would have done; but releasing a mission where you perform actions on three consoles to switch off an extended purple warp core widget, before being kidnapped by Romulans and forced to participate in gladiatorial combat, may seem a little bit... derivative, in this post-Coliseum world.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Or it could mean they had a hiring freeze once the new COO took over to allow him time to evaluate the company as it currently stands.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
It is time that poor CapnLogan gets some minions. He has to do all the ship work alone and no one fixes the bugs with existing ships...and i want the D´Kyr customisation features back.....and properly working Aegis animations.... and cookies... a lot of cookies...
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Or it could mean they had a hiring freeze once the new COO took over to allow him time to evaluate the company as it currently stands.
Or it could mean many of them are still getting oriented, trained (in company procedures, etc.); getting whatever network system access and accounts they need - and are more interested in showing what they can dio out of the gate for a time befpre venturing into the morass that is any Cryptic official game forum.

Remember: Dev posting is encouraged by the higher ups at Cryptic, but not mandatory; and we're I a new employee, I would want to risk entering that arena until I were a bit more settled in, and knew 'the lay of the land' - so to speak.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I think that is quite an assumption based on the positions being closed. I know they were looking so if they have found them great, but there is an old saying about when you assume something.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Or it could mean many of them are still getting oriented, trained (in company procedures, etc.); getting whatever network system access and accounts they need - and are more interested in showing what they can dio out of the gate for a time befpre venturing into the morass that is any Cryptic official game forum.

Remember: Dev posting is encouraged by the higher ups at Cryptic, but not mandatory; and we're I a new employee, I would want to risk entering that arena until I were a bit more settled in, and knew 'the lay of the land' - so to speak.
I just meant all of the job listings disappeared at one time and it happened a few days after the new COO was announced. Since operations (and employees) are his responsibility, I would not be surprised if a general hiring freeze occured to give him time to evaluate the company. THEN they will open the jobs back up.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I noticed that the positions all disappeared circa the beginning of the new Atari fiscal year.

Some may have been filled but my inclination is to believe they instituted an Atari-wide hiring freeze between the beginning of the fiscal year and the advent of this year's big report, which should be out in around ten days, where Atari will formally announce its plans for the 2011-2012 fiscal year. I would assume the freeze (also noticeable on Atari's site, last I checked) is tied into formalizing those plans and avoiding leaks about any new plans until the report goes out.

That doesn't mean work is halted right now but I suspect we may see a large influx of Cryptic postings over the summer as work proceeds on Neverwinter, announcements are made regarding Cryptic's fourth Atari title, and the new Cryptic hierarchy with Jack and Zinc gets sorted out,

Cryptic was a strong performer for Atari in the first three quarters of the 2010-2011 year and Champions FTP and STO's anniversary would only have to improve that standing further, IMHO. I think, just spitballing, that we may see Jack promoted to VP and even more of the operations shifted to California. (The only alternative I could see is, perhaps, that Atari would possibly consider selling Cryptic and its MMO properties to another publisher, as it would be an attractive source of operating capital and the kind of thing a few other publishers might be interested in now... and if this happened, it would still probably mean a cash flow increase for Cryptic, as Atari has been very tight on resources.)

I think, whatever the case, Atari is sitting tight on its plans until the report hits and we should be due for some big Cryptic news later in the month. Whatever happens, I'd be surprised not to see a major re-investment into Cryptic at that point... but it's probably premature until the report hits and I suspect everyone is making due with what they have until the report hits.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Welcome!

I'd like to give you a laurel and hardy handshake.

Lt. Commander
# 20
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
And I'll toss out the nuttiest harebrained theory of all:

Blizzard seems to have taken special interest in STO over the last three months. They added it specifically to their list of reasons for quitting WoW, something they haven't done as far as I know for games like Warhammer. They also suddenly ramped up interest in character customization after years of silence on the subject, something which Realtime Worlds, Cryptic, and NCSoft were the kings of. Their new MMO is slated to be an MMOFPS; these features are becoming more prevalent in STO and features upgrades tend to hint at other projects in development at Cryptic, such as The Foundry. Blizzard also announced that their new MMO is a casual game (it won't cut into a WoW player's time and it has a broader audience) with an MMO "dream team" working on it, which seems to hint that they're pulling in other MMO veterans.

So my hysterical, foundless prediction is that Activision Blizzard is buying Cryptic and/or Atari and you can read tea leaves with Roper's departure (former Blizz employee who split with the old company), Champion's FTP conversion (Blizz is interested in one MMO with a monthly sub model), Blizz's odd acknowledgement of STO as a reason for leaving WoW, Stahl's cryptic comments about talking to other Star Trek licensees about enhancements (Activision?), and the sudden ramp up in production plans (10 FE series a year on top of more content; implies cash).

PLEASE don't take this idea TOO seriously. IF it happened, STO's team would likely be rewarded for their success with MORE control, not less, and have a deeper piggybank to draw from. Consider this a wacky conspiracy theory I'm tossing out so I have a 1% chance at a really nice "I KNEW IT!" this summer.