Lt. Commander
# 21
05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
And I'll toss out the nuttiest harebrained theory of all:

Blizzard seems to have taken special interest in STO over the last three months.
Not the only one. At the Eve Fanfest, Hilmar from CCP cited STO as one of the main reasons they needed to up their game with Incarna.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
And I'll toss out the nuttiest harebrained theory of all:

Blizzard seems to have taken special interest in STO over the last three months. They added it specifically to their list of reasons for quitting WoW, something they haven't done as far as I know for games like Warhammer. They also suddenly ramped up interest in character customization after years of silence on the subject, something which Realtime Worlds, Cryptic, and NCSoft were the kings of. Their new MMO is slated to be an MMOFPS; these features are becoming more prevalent in STO and features upgrades tend to hint at other projects in development at Cryptic, such as The Foundry. Blizzard also announced that their new MMO is a casual game (it won't cut into a WoW player's time and it has a broader audience) with an MMO "dream team" working on it, which seems to hint that they're pulling in other MMO veterans.

So my hysterical, foundless prediction is that Activision Blizzard is buying Cryptic and/or Atari and you can read tea leaves with Roper's departure (former Blizz employee who split with the old company), Champion's FTP conversion (Blizz is interested in one MMO with a monthly sub model), Blizz's odd acknowledgement of STO as a reason for leaving WoW, Stahl's cryptic comments about talking to other Star Trek licensees about enhancements (Activision?), and the sudden ramp up in production plans (10 FE series a year on top of more content; implies cash).

PLEASE don't take this idea TOO seriously. IF it happened, STO's team would likely be rewarded for their success with MORE control, not less, and have a deeper piggybank to draw from. Consider this a wacky conspiracy theory I'm tossing out so I have a 1% chance at a really nice "I KNEW IT!" this summer.
Not completely unreasonable...
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
That list has updated since it's launch, the reasons for quitting. I have stopped subscribing and resubscribing to WoW many times for almost four years, and currently play it.

I wish Activision would buy STO they have been part of two good Star Trek games. Elite Force and Star Fleet Command. They also have great customer support. I doubt that's the plan though.

I wouldn't put to much into stock into character customization a direct result of STO. WoW has constantly assimilated popular features from other games for years. Character customization is still as limited as it always has been. It has also been one of it's complaints from it's customers since launch.

We can dream that Activision/Blizzard will acquire STO but I really doubt it. We can also hope that Titian the rumored MMO they supposedly have in development is a science fiction title with both ground and space combat. It's all speculation.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
I think, whatever the case, Atari is sitting tight on its plans until the report hits and we should be due for some big Cryptic news later in the month.
Could you predict my Lottery numbers next?

Your insight is admirable, sir. Kudos.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
btw... several of STO's new devs are starting in June - so that is one reason they haven't responded yet.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
btw... several of STO's new devs are starting in June - so that is one reason they haven't responded yet.
Well, make sure to point them this way! (You can waiver the 30-day necro rule in this case.)
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
We do expect a formal introduction...
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
With dress uniform, lol.

They will be thrown right into the water with the start of Season 4, should be a rushy time.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Considering that's more than two weeks away, I have to ask: have they been informed yet? Seems strange to hire a bunch of people and then have them all report at the same time a month later.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
With dress uniform, lol.

They will be thrown right into the Shark infested water with the start of Season 4, should be a rushy time.
Fixed it for ya.