Lt. Commander
# 1 Why do you find Foundry fun?
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I have a hard time finding why some people are so excited about the foundry. I have not tried to create a mission nor have I played one created. I don't see the point in paying a sub, then spending who knows how many hours making a mission and then to publish it thats it. I asked this in another thread but I'll start a fresh thread for it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Why does a painter paint? Hm? Why does a boxer box? You know what Michelangelo used to say? That the sculptures he made were already there before he started, hidden in the marble. All he needed to do was - ssht - remove the unneeded bits. Wasn't quite that easy with you, Data. But the need to do it, my need to do it, was no different than Michelangelo's need.

-Noonien Soong on why he created Data
It's a wonderful tool that allows us to create wonderful, entertaining stories in the Star Trek universe to share with everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a hard time finding why some people are so excited about milk. I have not tried to drink milk nor have I bought any. I don't see the point in paying for milk, then spending who knows how many hours drinking it, and then trying to cook with it. I asked this in another thread but I'll start a fresh thread for it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Why do people have workshops where they build things? For some its the thrill of being able to point at something and say, 'I made that, with my own hands.' For others its, 'Now I can show Cryptic how to make a real mission!' For others it's a hope that they can display their abilities and mayhaps gain employment doing something they enjoy. And still others will have reasons beyond the scope of what I can even think of. I won't say its fun all the time, there are times when I want to throw something across the room because I can't get something to line up just right without the art clipping, or discovering a limitation in the current implementation won't let me do what I want the way I think I should be able to. But in the end for me at least, its the fact that i have something put together I am proud to have my name associated with.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
the foundry gives some of the more creative star trek fans an outlet to bring their stories to life. It's not about creating a mission, cause anyone can do that. It's about telling the stories that we want within the star trek universe. if you're a creative person and love star trek, foundry is VERY exciting. Plus, the stories can evolve over time. Nothing is set in stone. So, if you don't like something, tell the author, and if they agree, they may change it. so the mission you play today may not even be the same mission you play in six months. The foundry is amazing. There are some wonderful stories out there. You should check them out. And, if you have an idea. Hop into the foundry and give it a try. With a small learning curve, you too can have players save the galaxy from [insert name here]!
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
its not even really about the more creative, but its anyone that wants to try a hand at creating. Hell, its a chance at people that complain that they can do better.... well let them do better
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
I have a hard time finding why some people are so excited about the foundry.
I have a hard time seeing people play boring Cryptic missions day in and day out just to gain some advantage in an MMO. (XP/GEAR/ETC). To find themselves in the so-called "End Game content" in the end... Which honestly is boring atm, too.

Quote:
I have not tried to create a mission nor have I played one created.
If you do not feel the drive to create a mission of your own, then perhaps this is just not your outlet for creativity. Perhaps you paint, write short stories... Perhaps you build furniture. Perhaps you ... don't do any of it. If you do not play any player created content, you are probably happy just shooting a trillion ships and then go on to PVP or whatever. Whatever gives you the thrills...

Quote:
I don't see the point in paying a sub, then spending who knows how many hours making a mission and then to publish it thats it.
Actually, sometimes I just spend 30 minutes in the Foundry to create an RP environment for my fleet to play out a scene in. Not because we are scared others could "hear us" or "interrupt us". But because the place will be exactly what we want it to be. Mind you, I also do PVP and PVE...
Sometimes, I spent like days, weeks or even a month creating a real mission. (My newest one, I found my love for details, so it might well take another week...)
For me Foundry IS STO. The rest - currently - is STALE. I like creating, I like playing innovative stories.
Who haz em biggest Gunz and the rest of the MMO stuff, I have seen too often. I have played LOTS of MMOs.

It doesn't give me the freedom I had with my own NWN 1+2 Servers. I cannot create scripted events. I cannot change the whole engine. But it at least gives me a taste and it doesn't eat up THAT many hours.

Quote:
I asked this in another thread but I'll start a fresh thread for it.
I am pretty sure you can ask this in 100 threads. We do it for the fun and to tell Star Trek stories. Yes, we could pool our knowledge and try to start something from scratch instead, if that is what you are hinting at. But I already have a well paid job... This is just a hobby.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
One word: content. If you want two words: new content :p

Seriously though, since the Foundry launched I now have a brand new(to me) mission to play every single time I log on. I simply cant overstate the significance of that, considering prior to the Foundry I felt like I had nothing new to do.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
One word: content. If you want two words: new content

Seriously though, since the Foundry launched I now have a brand new(to me) mission to play every single time I log on. I simply cant overstate the significance of that, considering prior to the Foundry I felt like I had nothing new to do.
One of the times I have to agree with Nagus. I play at least 3-6 Foundry missions each day. I mostly log off and work on my own missions afterwards.

I have killed enough Borgs.

When I hit the limit of ten missions to create, I will probably quit playing STO altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
When I hit the limit of ten missions to create, I will probably quit playing STO altogether.
I hate to say this, but the limit is actually 8 =/

Even so, there are plenty of great missions made by others that you can continue to enjoy.