Lt. Commander
# 11
05-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerV
I have a hard time finding why some people are so excited about the foundry. I have not tried to create a mission nor have I played one created. I don't see the point in paying a sub, then spending who knows how many hours making a mission and then to publish it thats it. I asked this in another thread but I'll start a fresh thread for it.
No one aspect of gameplay is for everyone - some people don't like crafting, some don't like PvP, some don't like fleets, or teaming, or STFs or whatever. No big deal. If you don't like the Foundry, you don't like it, and nobody can tell you you should.

That said, I've played a few KDF-side Foundry missions that add aspects to Klingon culture that I hadn't even thought of before, and one that did a good job of recapturing a classic movie. For me, it's great fun to see first-hand what's fermenting away in other people's imaginations, and I also enjoy trying to reverse-engineer the different effects I see.

One of these days I'll create a mission, for the same reason I might tinker with circuit boards or throw together a Flash game or spend hours designing buildings in The Sims. I paid for this game anyway - might as well play around with the Foundry when I don't feel like doing PvP or mainline PvE.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
No one aspect of gameplay is for everyone - some people don't like crafting, some don't like PvP, some don't like fleets, or teaming, or STFs or whatever. No big deal. If you don't like the Foundry, you don't like it, and nobody can tell you you should.
The Foundry really isnt like the other things you just mentioned. Crafting, PvP, STFs are actually different types of gameplay than the majority of the game(which is mainly patrols and episodes). Fleets arent gameplay at all, but rather social groups. However, Foundry missions are essentially the same type of gameplay as the patrols and episodes that make up the majority of the game. Of course, if a person doesnt like that type of content thats fine. But the Foundry isnt a different type of gameplay from the majority of the game, like those other things you mentioned are.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
the foundry gives some of the more creative star trek fans an outlet to bring their stories to life. It's not about creating a mission, cause anyone can do that. It's about telling the stories that we want within the star trek universe
This is so very true. The Star Trek Universe has a tremendous amount of potential just waiting to be explored. The Foundry lets people explore what happened after Captain Kirk/Picard/whoever had moved on to their next adventure.

Being able to come up with the answer to "what ever happened to..." in the context of a STO mission is something I really like. About the only negative think to the Foundry is trying to find missions to play. The current mission search is sorely lacking. Without these forums and sites like StarbaseUCG it would be impossible to find a decent mission.

It's great to see how the STO community is working to make the Foundry a success. I can't wait to see what we have come the 2nd Anniversary
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Placing buildings suggestively yields better results than exploration missions 103.4% of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Quote:
I have a hard time finding why some people are so excited about the foundry. I have not tried to create a mission nor have I played one created. I don't see the point in paying a sub, then spending who knows how many hours making a mission and then to publish it thats it. I asked this in another thread but I'll start a fresh thread for it.

I see the the Foundry mainly as a tool to tell stories. If you like to tell stories or experience stories (and, honestly, there are quite a few Foundry missions that tell excellent stories - and, really, better than about 80% of Cryptic's stuff), then the Foundry might just be one of the best things that happened to STO ever.

I strongly suggest you look at some missions before you judge the Foundry.
The easiest way to start might be to take a look at The Nagus List.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-12-2011, 12:17 AM
I like the idea of the Foundry because I like to create stories. To finely craft it, put in little details that add depth, to put in references to things that players might then draw enjoyment from, that sort of thing. As well as fix certain issues I have with the game, like lack of KDF content and the inability to disable and board the Breen cruiser and rescue the Deferi captives, rather than straight up blowing the cruiser away. That sort of thing.

Unfortunately, I currently don't use the Foundry because of the multitude of features that are still lacking, that make what I want to do impossible, not doable to my standards, or way more hassle then they should be. Things that should be there like better control over friendliness/hostility of enemy groups, the ability to save certain character looks and maps locally so you can easily use them for multi-part stories, timed missions, failure conditions, and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Quote:
thats a little like saying you dont understand why people like chocolate. unless you try it you will never know.

building a mission is certainly not for everybody. however playing them is much like playing a cryptic made mission. some can be a little rough round the edges, either through the fact we are not experienced designers or foundry limitations, but the best missions are better than much of what cryptic presented us with, at least from the early days of the game.

making missions is fun for me, because i have stories to tell and i have no other way of telling them. once im done my missions they are here for anyone to play. its a sense of pride and accomplishment. why do people build models or write their own novels? most often its just to have what is in their head, become something real and physical. they dont always get paid or they dont have thousands of people see their work, but they do it anyway.

Im not going to becomes star trek writer or work on the tv shows, so how better to have my star trek adventures played by other star trek fans, than with the foundry, and in turn i can play there's.

the foundry is the most fun ive had in game, outside of the weekly episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The Foundry really isnt like the other things you just mentioned. Crafting, PvP, STFs are actually different types of gameplay than the majority of the game(which is mainly patrols and episodes). Fleets arent gameplay at all, but rather social groups.
I think you have a narrower view of "gameplay" than I, but rather than argue the point, maybe I should've just said "entertainment." Regardless, making your own missions is qualitatively different from anything the rest of the game offers.
Quote:
However, Foundry missions are essentially the same type of gameplay as the patrols and episodes that make up the majority of the game. Of course, if a person doesnt like that type of content thats fine. But the Foundry isnt a different type of gameplay from the majority of the game, like those other things you mentioned are.
As much as I hate analogies, it's like the difference between a concert and a jam session - you can reasonably expect a certain amount of quality from mainline missions, but there's a certain amount of predictability as well. Foundry missions, on the other hand, can vary wildly in quality, but as more direct and less canned expressions of creativity, you'll occasionally see sparks of ingenuity that you'd never see from a regular mission.

Subtle difference, sure, but it's there, and if someone limits himself to just Foundry missions, my guess is he'll probably get a different impression of the game than if he did just mainline missions and patrols.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
As much as I hate analogies, it's like the difference between a concert and a jam session - you can reasonably expect a certain amount of quality from mainline missions,
Like the scan 5 objects or destroy 5 groups exploration missions?
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Like the scan 5 objects or destroy 5 groups exploration missions?
I didn't say all concerts were guaranteed to be good...