Lt. Commander
# 21
05-13-2011, 04:03 AM
Wouldn't this lead to poor zone chat behaviour in order to garner a higher reward on your own head?

It might end up pretty vitriolic.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
I wonder what Hale would think of this idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
What the hell did I ever do to you!?!?
I think it can be best described as enthuasiastic, don't you?

Mustrum "Remembers a cannibalistic tribe on Discworld that is said to be rumored to be particularly cruel because Aaaah means yes, please, more boiling oil in their native language" Ridcully
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
If you are referring to bounty as in player Z puts a price on player Y's head to be claimed by the first player to log X number of arena kills, I say no. In my book that is a form of griefing that has no place in this game. Plus, there is no kind of compulsory PvP and I am totally against there ever being compulsory PvP.

That kind of a bounty system would certainly attract a certain kind of player... the kind I would really hate playing in PvP.

However, allowing players to 'bet' EC, GPL, Merits, or Emblems on the outcome of a PvP match is a different matter. We got Dabo, why not?

Kill drops are another form of 'bounty', or at least loot, which can be converted to currency and fits the PvP mold, if not Star Trek.
I totally disagree. I believe the way player Z puts a bounty on player X works is not that player Z puts a bounty on player X because they have a grudge or just feel like it. The way such a system would need to work is that : Player X kills player Z in pvp- Player Z can now set a bounty. You would only get a bounty if you pvped and somebody decided to put a price on your head(therefore, it is not compulsory). A system like this worked well in SWG.

I certainly like the concept of bounties but it does depent on how it is implemented. I'd like to see it implemented eventually but there are many things I'd rather see first. Bounties are a little weird for the Federation but a rather unorthodox Captain may place a bounty...
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Gambling? How did gambling get into this?
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Gambling? How did gambling get into this?
It was suggested that instead of bounties that people could bet on the outcome of a pvp match... A terrible idea in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-13-2011, 07:51 AM
I think the best way to do it would be the way City of... does it in Siren's Call. When you're in the zone, every time you kill another player from the opposing side, your bounty goes up. Being killed resets your bounty. Killing someone from the opposing side will give you a reward, in bounty points, equal to whatever bounty they had reached before you got them. Everyone who enters the zone is assigned someone from the other side as their main target. That target shows up on the map as a blip every once in a while, regardless of their being stealthed or whatever (which can lead to some pretty fun chases if all you have to go on is a 2 second map blip). Bounty that you receive can be traded in to vendors for consumables or items.

The other cool thing about the zone is the NPC battles. There are three or four spots where NPCs regularly do battle. Helping your side win a battle will earn you some bounty points (to spend, not to add to your bounty total). Not only that, but the zone is controlled by one side or the other. Winning enough NPC battles means your side can gain control, unlocking vendors that sell various nifty things.

You can also complete instanced missions, accessed through doors in the zone, that give your side buffs or the other side debuffs in the zone itself.

All in all it's SUPER fun, and if something like that were to be implemented in STO, I would love to play it. The great thing about it is that it could be implemented in ground or space. Now, the issue is that it only takes place in one zone, but then you eliminate griefing, and people know going in that there's a bounty on their head in that zone.

____

Another possible way for bounties to work involves the "fleet wars" that DStahl mentioned recently (in the latest Ask Cryptic?). If two fleets declare war (or war games?) on each other, their members can choose one or two characters from the other fleet to place a bounty on - a "most wanted" type of thing. Rather than allowing random bounties placed on poor innocent people, this allows willing and consenting PvPing fleets to place a few bounties on each others' heads.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
SWG has a pretty unique bounty hunting system built in. 1st, bounty hunter is a playable toon and almost a faction of itself.

Bounty requests occured upon getting the "kill" shot in PVP, basicly at the re-spawn box. The "killed" guy gets a box asking if the player wants to place a bounty and how much they would put on the other guys head. The game, itself, levied a 1000 credit bounty if none was selected. Bounties were not active until somewhere around the 15K amount. BHs had terminals where they could go and pick up a bounty. The BH got the 1st shot which flaged the other guy SF or PVP to the BH only in ANY area of the game, PVE areas or PVP areas. BH had craftable "seeker drones" that gave them a location of the bounty. If the bounty moved, another drone was needed to find them, again. The chase was on and some players, me for one, seemed to make a mini-game out of just finding the guy with the bounty. SWG allowed 3 BHs to get the same bounty which I always thought was overkill, 3 v 1. 1 v 1 would of made a better system. One of the better times, in the BH system for me, was when a BH with "honor" told me they were coming, I went to the Krayt Dragon graveyard (many NPC gold elites), when they got there and took their shot, I "force ran" threw the graveyard aggoing Krayts as I went with an AoE, stopped shooting, and a bunch of them aggroed the BHs, killed off 2, and I came back and finished the 3rd one. Many e-tears over that one and even a /tell saying "that was incredible" from the other side.

About the only way a player got a bounty was PVP gameplay. There were people who believe that killing faction NPCs got you a bounty but I never seen anything that lead me to think this. It was an added "risk" to PVP, as the more you took part, the more that bounty was going to come. There were some interesting times with the BH system. I had a friend who took a guy out at his RP in game "marriage". Of corse, upon the BH killing the guy, he had a chance to place a bounty on the BH who killed him. Players seemed to use the amounts of the bountys as "bragging rights". The higher the bounty, the more "brag". Had a 5 mil bounty on me once. Some1 wanted me "paid back" bad. lol

Altho, the BH game was primarly ground gameplay. After 8 years, SOE is getting around to putting in BHing in space, now.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Esquire, you did get a slight increase to your bounty score by earning planetary control points in open PvP zones like Restuss or the Talus/Naboo/Corellia bases. You would earn those control points by killing NPCs, which gave people the impression that directly killing NPCs added to your bounty (which it didn't.)
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atemporal View Post
Esquire, you did get a slight increase to your bounty score by earning planetary control points in open PvP zones like Restuss or the Talus/Naboo/Corellia bases. You would earn those control points by killing NPCs, which gave people the impression that directly killing NPCs added to your bounty (which it didn't.)
LOL With all the years I played that game, I never bothered to ck that. Makes sence tho, PVP areas gave you a PVP bounty.

Point being, you pretty much had to PVP to get a bounty. That kept the pure PVE players from griefing which was good development in my book. If they added something over here like that, they could add that into the capture and holds and do the same thing. Still, I can't see any way to bring something like this on without a BH faction on it's own. Altho, if they did add that here, I probably would level 1 up even if it was monster gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Interesting idea... It might be difficult to integrate it in narratively into the game, though here is my approach:
- For FvF, it is simply a matter or pride beating the best Captains in the world.
- For FvK, taking out the most successful enemies is important to the war effort. Killing the "Butcher of Gamma Zeta 3" or whatever sounds like someone that earns you some respect.

The reward isn't monetary (e.g. Energy Credits) - it isn't a real bounty. It is more something similar to Merits or Marks of Honor/Valor. Something representing your standing and reputation in the fleet.

A Bounty System for Startrek Online
Each player has a Fame score, this represents the name he has made himself, and how much respect and fear his enemies feel for him. If people with fame are defeated, this increases the morale of the faction.

Earning and Losing Fame
Everytime you win a PvP match, you earn one point. Everytime you lose, you lose one point. Your fame cannot go below 0.

Earning Moral
Every time you win a PvP match, you also earn points equal to the enemy team's total fame.

To avoid creating yet another currency in the system, a repeatable mission will track the bounties you have earned. Once you have reached a certain number of points, the mission is completed and you earn a reward (Merits, Skill Points, Bridge Officer Points and Badges of your tier, and Marks for BGs/RAs and Emblems for LGs and VAs). There are two mission. There is one Daily mission that requires a sensible amount of points and tracks any source of Fame, and an hourly repeatable that is tracking only scores earned during FvK.
The mission could be called: "Strengthening the Morale of the [Empire]/[Federation]" (at least the FvK version).

Fame and Morale in War Zones
It might be tempting to use the system in War Zones based on kills, but that wouldn't work with the scale of gain and losses of fame and earning of morale in the Queued fights. It would be more correctly to apply the system based on the actual War Zone mission (that would, btw, make gold farmers very lucrative foes to beat.). A problem with the War Zones is that they can complete even if there is no opposition at all, leading to inflated fame scores. There would need to be some kind of qualifier before the fame score can rise (maybe requiring actual PvP shoot-outs, or the opponents having at least scanned a single node.

One side effect I could see of adding to fame scores is that killing people with a fame score earns skill point awards (probably capped in some way, but reletative to the scores.) That could even work well in War Zones. This might not be very important at Endgame, but at lower levels, it can increase the leveling speed in PvP, as currently, we don't get "Kill XP".

Risks of the System
Primarily the risks is: "How can this be gamed". We should probably avoid private challenges counting for fame and morale. As mentioned in the War Zone section, we need to ensure there are enemies on both sides active in some way. I see little "game-ability" risk with Dailies, as long as they earn only sensible number of rewards. The Hourlies could be more problematic, one could imagine a group of premads intentionally fighting a lot of one sided battles, than shuffle the team and play a while to earn hefty rewards. With the FvK limitation of the Hourly (which primary exists to motivate more FvK activity), this abuse is not easily possible. It would require a non-negligible amount of planning to exploit the system, which probably makes it ineffective. (Also, if fame and morale can only be earned in Queued Matches or War Zones, the Queue system itself will break up such attempts often enough.)

One potential risk I see - Successful Premades will probably earn very high fames, but having a high fame alone doesn't earn them rewards. Maybe that is an extension point - maybe a high fame yields another type of reward.
There is also the risk that seeing enemies with a high fame discourages people from fighting as they believe they have no chance. (That is a problem Premades of succesful PvP fleets face now as well.)

Chances
The biggest chance is that it motivates people to fight harder - if you fight a team with a high fame score, the rewards for beating it are increased (e.g. there are actually rewards). This can encourage weaker players to seek out good players (and there is an in-game way to identify them!) and fly with them together to beat one of the other high value targets.