Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Well I personally would prefer if no duty officer buffs heals/dmg, but just optimizes the ship functions. Faster energy transfers in certain systems,faster shield distribution, higher crew recovery and such, with some special benefits for skills (faster recharge, lower system cooldown) and such.

Certainly not improving dps/healing, the values are already overinflated anyway.

Beside I dread to imagine if the duty officer just adds 1% to proc chance. Put 3 there and its 3%...the gap between phaser or polaron proc benefit would be even larger then. Now imagine if you could ge 9 such officers...

Now compare the benefits of that energy proc to lower HYT cooldown...whats the point of it anyway ? If you have 2 copies, its useless, if you have tactical initiative / photonic officer, its useless. Ships who do not have more tactical bridge officers (cruisers, sc) rely on beams more anyway.
And also because of the healing, the small window of opportunity means you keep your HYT and do not spam it anyway.

So much like with weapon consoles, people would just stack those energy duty officers.

I still don't understand why torpedo consoles do not have much greater values anyway. But thats whole another story.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-13-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm waiting to see the released product before I get too worried.
Looks awesome though and I love anything that bring more detail to the game and our ships.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I wonder if these things would stack. Diminishing returns if at all?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
I wonder if these things would stack. Diminishing returns if at all?
No diminishing returns. The modifiers are small, and as I understand, you cannot stack more than 3 Duty Officers for one purpose in the first place (as the special abilities are by branches, and you have only a limited number of assigned Duty Officers per branch.)

An interesting question might be how this will work for us at end-game - as I understand the standard levelling process will in the future also include shuttles filled with new duty officers, but I haven't heard anything about later gaining of DOs.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
I just hope the benefits will be "balanced" so we do not end again with "best" and everyone will be once again just another clone.
You avoid this by having sets of "configs" that are all equally effective in their own right. Also if there is a "powerful config" it needs to have a counter and there should be a sacrifice of something else or a significant risk to using it. Basically if you have a bunch of configs possible that no one can really figure out or say one is "better" than the other is the best way.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-16-2011, 12:49 AM
My main is a Science Officer. I'm already imagining some evil possibilities for PVP with this new system in place. Bwahahahhahahahahaha.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
You avoid this by having sets of "configs" that are all equally effective in their own right. Also if there is a "powerful config" it needs to have a counter and there should be a sacrifice of something else or a significant risk to using it. Basically if you have a bunch of configs possible that no one can really figure out or say one is "better" than the other is the best way.
But that's STO main problem isnt it ? How many people are using aux to battery and how many people are using aux to dampeners for example ? Its the same with energy proc duty officer and hyt cooldown duty officer. One is usefull always, the other almost never...

Much like bridge officer abilities aren't balanced (use, power,effect), consoles aren't balanced, weapon types aren't balanced, duty officers probably wont be also balanced.

So in usual scenario, majority of people will use the "best" combination, and the other will be crap, because their benefits wont be equally useful.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-16-2011, 05:07 AM
I fail to see how this duty officer will help in pvp. :p
http://youtu.be/JGfXiIXTpE0

I still look forward to the challenges the changes that the DOff system will bring.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-16-2011, 05:14 AM
I look forward to the tactical weapons flunky who improves FAW...
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Is there a complete list yet of the DOffs and what they do?