Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo download query
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi,

As the title indicates, I'm new to the game. I am trying to download the Demo (for the 3rd time) but it is going sooooooo slow.

I have a new PC with v.good specs, so it can't be that & my Broadband connection is more reliable than Field Marshall Reliable of Reliabletown.

I just wondered if this is to be expected, if this is common, or if this is a slow process that will be repeated whenever there is a patch, upgrade or 'Live game' download.

Just to clarify, I really want to give the game a go & if I like the Demo will definitely do so, I just want to know what I am getting myself into.

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Not sure if this reply is going to help you at all since I never played the demo and just installed the game through Steam.

I have a pretty good internet connection (not the best because I'm not paying through the nose for it) but good enough that I don't lag out on online games and don't have to wait for days to watch a youtube video. The direction I was going is that my internet connection is pretty good and I rarely have problems playing STO. 9 times out of 10 if I get a disconnect (maybe something like once a month) it's because my router is acting up, not because STO is doing anything weird.

The only thing I'd have to say is to double check your internet, and double check the source of the demo download - it could be that wherever is hosting the demo download has limited bandwidth?

Basically don't be put off from the game because the dl is taking a while - like I said I almost never have connection issues with it so hopefully it's just a poor host site.

Maybe this helps...even a little?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the reply

I'm actually using the Demo from STO itself- from this main site. I had a look through the threads and saw that there were some moaning about lag etc (having just come from an MMO that had this in spades over the 2 years I was there, I was wanting to just see if it is the same issue here)

The Internet connection is definitely good... so I suspect it is just the demo speed. How long does the live game one take?

I am now approaching 2 hours of downloading with 26% complete.... if this is a common issue I can only guess at the prospective customers it could lose (fortunately I'm determinded to see if this is worth playing first!)
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-12-2011, 03:17 PM
the game download (demo and the game are the same thing it is your account setup that determine if you play te demo or the live game) is done by a very simple bittorent client download speed depends on the number of seeds available and whether your ISP filters or blocks bittorrent traffic.

the game patching is done on port 7255 (the game uses ports 7000-7500) so if the ports are filtered or block the patching will be slow.

also have heard microsoft security essentialls can affect the game download installs and patching.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
the game download (demo and the game are the same thing it is your account setup that determine if you play te demo or the live game) is done by a very simple bittorent client download speed depends on the number of seeds available and whether your ISP filters or blocks bittorrent traffic.

the game patching is done on port 7255 (the game uses ports 7000-7500) so if the ports are filtered or block the patching will be slow.

also have heard microsoft security essentialls can affect the game download installs and patching.
Nice, there you go - a better answer than mine for sure :p
I seem to remember when I was first downloading the game through steam that it took maybe 2+ hrs....that's a rough estimate, I actually left my computer to go and watch some classic Trek that was on TV lol.

Hopefully it doesn't put new people off the game...I mean when I'm dl'ing installs through steam I usually start it up and then go and do something else just because I know it'll most likely take it's sweet time.

I'd be interested to see how your connection is once you start playing though! Like I said, I rarely have trouble, hopefully it's the same for you!
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Enjoy the game!