Lt. Commander
# 1 Mission length
05-12-2011, 04:01 PM
A question for forum users: Is there a target mission length you like? I put out my first mission (shameless plug) Return to Ceti Alpha V, and I get some mixed reviews. Some say it's too short. Other's say it's just right. Apparently it's not too long.

In both my playing and my creating, I aim for missions that are about 45 minutes long (about the time of a real episode minus commercials ). That's what I was going for with mine, but I'm confused on the feedback.

I understand that a good mission (like a good movie) will make you ignore the time and you could waste hours. I also understand that a bad mission is hoping the next click will be the last.

As a sub-point to this, I see several multi-part missions in the foundry. Is this due to a desire to maintain a mission length and not have epic super-long missions, or is this due to a limitation of the system.

Inquiring minds want to know, what does the community look for in mission length. Well, my mind at least.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2011, 04:04 PM
To tell the truth 45min sounds good to me - I haven't played your mission (though I will try it out after reading your post) I'd have to assume that the people saying it's too short are really getting involved with the story and all of a sudden it's over.......which is a good thing - you've gotten people engaged with your mission!

Like I said though 45 sounds good to me - I'd play it if it were longer too but I understand that it can be hard to maintain steam throughout the whole mission for that length of time without it devolving into run here, kill this, run there, click that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I think Cryptic nailed it pretty well with the Featured Episodes. I know some are longer than others, but in general they take me maybe 30 mins of actual gameplay including reading all the dialog. I tend to take breaks on missions longer than that, and when I come back I am not quite as "in the zone" of the story as I was before.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I split mine up mostly because of the map limitation in the Foundry originally. Then, through the feedback I received I found that most people didn't want to play a lengthy mission in one shot. The 2 part story I have up now would take a bit over an hour to do both parts maybe. Half an hour or forty-five minutes will be what I shoot for now per mission.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I kinda went overboard with my first mission..... 2.5 hours long.