Lt. Commander
Ok! I decided to take the plunge and try create something in the Foundry, but I would like to know what people would like to see. Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome, but I am looking to start in the TOS era.

Please feel free to post any storyline ideas, locations or anything else you think of!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2011, 07:25 AM
My suggestion would be to create a story that is of interest to you. It's cool to want to please the crowd, but you're ultimately the one that needs to be satisfied with what you've created.

So I shall turn it around and ask...

What stories/ideas/locations are of interest to you in the TOS era?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Well that's the problem there is so much content to play with it's kind of overwhelming! Also, having not used the Foundry before I'm unsure of some of the limitations I might face. Would be annoyed to get half way through a mission to find I can't proceed with the plot I thought of due to there not being the right map or objects etc. Asking the community for ideas was to both know what they would like to see and give me an insight into ideas that I may not have though of.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2011, 08:22 AM
if your going down the tos route then be warned there are no authentic tos maps in there yet. that would be a pretty big limitation. they should get added at some point.

my advise is make up a story that seems fun to you but dont try to make a masterpiece just yet. play around with it, and if you mess it up dont worry. once you get the hang of it and you start to see what it can and cant do then you can start making a proper mission.

i tend to find that you can never please the entire crowd here. no matter how you make it someone will love it, and someone will hate it. the best course of action is to make a mission that you find fun. do you like a strong story, so you like tons of combat, mainly ground, mainly space? make a mission that you personally would want to sit down and play, and others will like it.

if you ask what people want you will get conflicting answers. if your stuck for specifics then try to do what cryptic do. missions that last 30-40 minutes. have 3 or 4 maps, a mix of ground and space, and not too combat heavy. that is what people are used to and you probably wont go far wrong. once you get the hang of it then you can try experimenting with things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2011, 08:32 AM
What Revo said. Trying to pin down what the community is going to like is going to ultimately be an exercise in futility as you're going to get a bunch of conflicting answers.

Looking at the Foundry can be a bit overwhelming at first, but there are tutorials available for first stepping into the Foundry (Darren_Kitlor has a wonderful tutorial series up and available at starbaseugc.com). Just playing with the tools is a good way to get familiar with what's what, how the tools and assets can interact with each other to tell the story you want, is a really good way to learn how to bend the Foundry to your will.

The absolute first place you should start though is with your overall idea for your story. From there you can plot out what characters are involved, what sets (maps) you'll need, costumes, and other details. Once you've got that sorted, sitting down and using the Foundry will be easier since you have a clear direction that you're going in thanks to the handy-dandy outline you've got.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm having a few problems I know how to place object and assign different states to them etc. But the objectives thing is confusing me. I just want to set it so I can enter my custom map from Imaga system but I can't even find a way to do it. I've looked at a guide but it's all over the place and doesn't seem to make sense. I don't want to start from ESD or any social map. I want it to be a message in sector space (the grant mission dialog) and then just go to a system and enter it. But no matter what I do there seems to be no easy way of getting the foundry to link to my custom space map.

It's doing my head in already!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-14-2011, 01:05 PM
create your map.

drop a reach marker onto the storyboard.

place the reach marker from the unassigned tab onto the spawn point of your custom map. (make sure the marker is larger than the spawn point by increasing its radius.) this makes it trigger the moment you go into the map.

go back to the storyboard and a change map transition will appear.

one of the options will let you change the system door. select the door you want from what ever system you want from the lists.

it will now work.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Ok thanks, I know its supposed to be intuitive but maybe I'm thinking too deep into it. I've created dialog for when you enter system but after that it completes the mission how do I assign objectives say "go to beacon" at the bottom of the text so it doesnt just compelte the mission after I finish that dialog?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
dont worry it tricky the first few times. once you know what your doing its easy.

it depends what you want to do. so you've entered the system and you have maybe added a pop up box for some text.

you could then either drop an interact with object onto the storyboard. then change the object to what you want. (the player would then have to scan the object for the story to continue)

or you could just drop an item directly onto the map then use another reach marker on the storyboard, then put that unassigned reach marker over the object in question, so again as your ship hits that sphere the next objective will trigger.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Don't make an accolade grind mission
Don't make a mysterious ship / borg / conspiracy mission

Those tend to be the most over-used templates.