Lt. Commander
Netflix outbid a HBO for a new series not long ago and they are prepared to save an NBC series that Comcast has decided to give the boot.

So, this got me thinking. Would you support a Netflix-funded and exclusive new Star Trek series?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Possibly i would start an account. Its unlikely to happen thou star trek is too big of a franchise for cbs to let there hands go of it. on the other hand they maybe will give out a license?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker1973
Possibly i would start an account. Its unlikely to happen thou star trek is too big of a franchise for cbs to let there hands go of it. on the other hand they maybe will give out a license?
I'm thinking the Netflix pays CBS to produce it exclusively for Netflix. It's not like CBS is doing anything with it at the moment. And it would reopen some merchandising possibilities for CBS.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2011, 08:57 AM
i don't know most of the scfi coming out now seems to try to fallow the battle star galactica route just look at Star gate universe, compared to the older star gate series. The company tried to reinvent the franchise and failed.

But if they could actually resurrect the series with out destroying it, I would defiantly be willing to support it. Imagine today's cg tech has to be more cost effective the what is was in the 90's? I believe that was the original killer behind many of the franchises?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I don't think they should recreate the franchise. They should keep it in the prime universe. But bring in some new writers and an actual fan of the show as executive producer and we could be trekking again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2011, 09:40 AM
But is that not the problem like most tv based business they usually try to reinvent a show for a younger hipper generation in order to target a larger base of the population, It would probably very difficult to recapture the original spirit of the show with today audience. Most of the special effects and story boarding/ interpersonal relationships that portrayed in the the 90's where part of its of the time and its culture. its doubtful that a modern audience would settle for what i grew up with. Look what happened to enterprise, i thought the series rocked with the more focus on action and exploration. But it was canceled by its network after the fourth season, shorty after Star Trek Nemesis bombed. its still a great deal uncertainty if a star trek series would survive in today's culture of comic book movies and reality shows.

If it was not for the the all ready 2 year old reinvented star trek movie that renewed interest in the franchise trek would have been lost for ever, and sto would have never been brought into existence.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-14-2011, 09:44 AM
So long as JJ Abrams isn't attached, I'm down.

So long as it maintains that sense of wonder that sci-fi is supposed to have and doesn't follow current Sci-Fi trends, which sexy, paranoid 20-something year olds stuck in a small box in space with nonstop terrorist allegories, faceless shape shifting doppelganger enemies that could be anyone at any time and (most importantly) sex, explosions, sexy explosions and characters exploding after sex. So long as it keeps far from those modern sci-fi trends, I'm game.

So long as it's not another prequel, I'm game. (though I wouldn't mind if it takes place along side an other series, like a story that takes place during the dominion war but isn't about DS9 and her crew, but it would be awesome to have guest appearances).

Sadly, I don't have much faith in modern sci-fi. Modern movies in general makes me mad to be perfectly honest. It's all nothing but reboots and trash. Our new idea of sci-fi is the modern day US Army vs faceless, genocidal aliens who are evil for evil's sake. No back story, no sense of wonder, just LA or NYC being razed by aliens while America saves the world. So not sci-fi. So not my cup of tea.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
But then you never know they might turn out something good, I would just hate to see the franchise degenerate to the level of of an indie based series that all like to ones you find on you tube. If it bombed the franchise might never recover in the public view.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
So long as JJ Abrams isn't attached, I'm down.

So long as it maintains that sense of wonder that sci-fi is supposed to have and doesn't follow current Sci-Fi trends, which sexy, paranoid 20-something year olds stuck in a small box in space with nonstop terrorist allegories, faceless shape shifting doppelganger enemies that could be anyone at any time and (most importantly) sex, explosions, sexy explosions and characters exploding after sex. So long as it keeps far from those modern sci-fi trends, I'm game.

So long as it's not another prequel, I'm game. (though I wouldn't mind if it takes place along side an other series, like a story that takes place during the dominion war but isn't about DS9 and her crew, but it would be awesome to have guest appearances).

Sadly, I don't have much faith in modern sci-fi. Modern movies in general makes me mad to be perfectly honest. It's all nothing but reboots and trash. Our new idea of sci-fi is the modern day US Army vs faceless, genocidal aliens who are evil for evil's sake. No back story, no sense of wonder, just LA or NYC being razed by aliens while America saves the world. So not sci-fi. So not my cup of tea.
I hear ya, but i like some of that b moive stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker1973
But if they could actually resurrect the series with out destroying it, I would defiantly be willing to support it. Imagine today's cg tech has to be more cost effective the what is was in the 90's? I believe that was the original killer behind many of the franchises?
A bad budget doesn't kill a show. Bad writing does. That's why Enterprise failed; it had crappy writing despite having better graphics than TNG. Bring in some good writers and even with a modest budget, they could make a great new series.

We have established in canon that Hobus explodes. TNG, DS9, and VOY all lasted seven years. Base the first season of the series three years before Hobus and explore the circumstances around that explosion.