Lt. Commander
# 21
06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I assume movement on worlds/stations will be wasd, but will it be wasd when we're flying our ships? or will it be something like E&B where you would right-click and the ship would move you where you pointed the mouse

or something different
Lt. Commander
# 22 Game movement question?
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Hello,

My question relates to how direct or indirect human input will control the movement and navigation of the ship? In EVE, for example, movement is limited to targeting an object, opponent, or way point, and setting how fast to head directly towards it.

The ideal STO control system would feature 3 modes of input, and I truly hope this is how you approach it!

1. way-point based "targeted" travel like in EVE
2. ability to engage various movement "tactics," i.e. "Evasive Maneuvers," "orbit," "follow" "intercept," etc.
and finally...
3. Direct joystick or mouse control allowing for complete autonomy in full 3-axis movement.

Can you respond to this?

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistanceisfutile
Can You Provide a pic layout of the controls? Like in the first page of a game book,show the controller,and tell what key does what and so on? will there be any cheats?

"Part of being human is learning how to deal with the unexpected...to risk new experiences even when they don't fit into your preconceptions."

-- La Forge to Data
TNG/"Inheritance"
I think the 'Controls' and I am sure the 'UI' are no where near complete. Zinc (Dev) Twitters a lot about testing and revising the UI. I think I have seen him comment about 3 different versions in the past 2 months.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
when is it out for xbox 360?
i mean hello????its only logical to put it out on xbox 360 and ps3.WHEN WILL THAT HAPPEN?

So much for the ENTERPRISE-E,we barely knew her.Do You think they'll build another one? Plenty of letters left in the alphabet.
-Dr. Crusher & Capt. Picard(after picard activates the ENTERPRISE 1701-E auto destruct)

America will never run... And we will always be grateful that liberty has found such brave defenders.
George W. Bush
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
it seems like a good idea to have a chat about topics ni the game with fans. It will get additional feedback not only from the team but from fans too.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Will be there an italian version? Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhDK View Post
I assume movement on worlds/stations will be wasd, but will it be wasd when we're flying our ships? or will it be something like E&B where you would right-click and the ship would move you where you pointed the mouse

or something different
This is why I hate the Informational Layout of the main page. This is answered in the ASKCRYPTIC 10-27-2008 - but you would never know if you did not read through them - and re-read through them to refresh our memories. :

Quote:
Q: How will ship controls work? Will it be a point-and-click style, like EVE, or will you have full control of your ship?

A: Players will definitely be given full control. A large portion of starship combat in Star Trek Online is tactical – maneuvering your ship into position so you protect your vital systems as you attack your opponent's weakest side. You need to be “in control” of your ship in order for that to work well and be fun.
Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_10-27-08
Here are some other comments about 'Movement' that has been published:
SHIP HANDLING/FLIGHT:
Quote:
Q: What kinds of physics are governing the movement of ships? Will the physics engine be realistic with the "correct" mass and thrust ratios for each ship? I would like to see this as much as your physics tech allows, so we may enjoy authentic movements during space flight.

A: Turning radiuses, acceleration, deceleration, and general maneuverability will all be dependent on the size of each ship. Smaller fighters will be able to fishtail and maneuver quickly, while larger ships will have gradual turns, slower acceleration, and slower stops.
Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/dev_bl...ryptic_1-07-09
JOYSTICKS/FLIGHT STICKS:
Quote:
Q: Would you be able to use the joystick to control your characters and starship?

A: You should be able to do that. All of the commands may not map, depending on what sort of joystick you have but, since the game is being built for the PC as well as the console, you should be able to hook up a joystick to your PC and play that way.

SPACE and MAP:
Quote:
Q: What steps is your development team taking to learn real astrophysics? I'm curious to know how much I will learn when exploring, for example when I enter a unknown solar system, and I find that the star is a red star that does not burn as hot as (earth's yellow star) the sun - will the planet that orbets the star (if it containes life) be the correct distance from it to be in that window where life can exist? Or will it be random and not really true all the time? (fantastical like)

A: There are members of the team with strong backgrounds in science, astronomy and even astrophysics. This knowledge certainly informs the design of the game. That said, our focus is to make sure the game is fun and playable – not to create a simulator. The problem with just modeling real space is that it’s boring: there’s an awful lot of space in space. It’s like watching a movie in which someone packs a suitcase to go somewhere.

We all know that packing a suitcase usually takes longer than five minutes, but a good director is not going to make us sit there watching a character just pack a suitcase for an hour. Likewise, we’re not going to make you go through empty and uninteresting space. Where we can, we’ll make the game match up with real space. For us, though, it’s far more important that the game looks cool and plays cool.

We want you guys to be blown away by the settings and environments; we want the game to make a larger than life impression on you. That’s a much higher priority for us than whether or not the planet has a proper orbit or every space station is perfectly placed in a good Lagrangian point.

Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/ask_cryptic_1-29-09
Quote:
Q: Space is vast. Will it feel vast in STO?

A: Very vast! As we are constructing Star Trek Online, it is sometimes amazing to experience just how vast space is. We are paying close attention to the fine balance between delivering the true experience of vast space and keeping gameplay fun and engaging.
Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_09-04-08
Quote:
Q: How is Cryptic going to handle warp in STO? Is warp going to be instantaneous travel or is it going to be more like a sprint with various speeds allocations from 1 - 10?

A: When traveling within a system, you will not be able to travel at warp. Impulse speed is the norm here, but you can travel impressively fast at full impulse speeds. You can warp to another planet in a system, which is basically instantaneous. However, when travelling from star system to star system (or other points of interest in the galaxy), you will travel at warp speed. You will be able to set your warp factor and the quality of your warp engines and your engineer’s skills will determine your maximum warp speed.
Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/176
Quote:
Q: It was explained that interstellar flight will basically be a type of "over world" view. Can we get a further clarification on this? Would this mean that gallivanting around the galaxy will be similar to Pirates of the Burning Sea in that when not engaged in combat or other special case scenarios we will be in an over world view that basically is a sped up version of travel time? Will solar systems and planetary orbits be personalized instances or will everyone be able to enter it without an invitation? Will combat with other ships be instanced that others can join in from the "over world" map?

A: Yes, in some ways it will be similar. We actually have three levels of maps. There’s the sector space map, which you’ll be in when you’re going across the galaxy and traveling from one system to another. It’s not entirely flat, but also not completely 3D. There are dimensions to it. You’ll see sector grids, planets, solar systems, space stations, nebulas, anomalies and all sorts of different points of interest. You’ll see and interact with other players in sector space. You’ll also be doing a lot of your exploration in sector space. For example, you may be traveling across the galaxy when your com officer suddenly says, “Captain, there’s a distress call!” At that point, you get to follow up on that distress call, enter that system and engage in that mission.

That’s the second level of map. When you go into points of interest the game opens up a 3D space map (or system map) where you can engage in combat. Many of these will be instanced just for you. Some of them will be persistent so that you can go in and other people can join you. For example, there will be a persistent Klingon battlefront where the Klingons are fighting the Romulans. Something will always be going on there and anyone can join in. In instances you can go in alone or your team members can join you.

From system space (either persistent or instanced) you can transport to a ground map, like the surface of a planet or the inside of a space station.

Source:http://www.startrekonline.com/ask_cryptic/4-30-09

COLLISION DETECTION:
Quote:
Q: Will there be collision detection?

A: Absolutely. All cryptic games have always had entity to entity collision. Star Trek online will continue to make use of this tech both on the ground and in space.
Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/176
Quote:
Q: How realistic will collision detection be? Will you be able to use a ramming as a last ditch effort or use a tractor beam to pull an asteroid towards your enemy and damage him? Or will deflectors and shields keep you from running into anything?

A: All of Cryptic Tech has always had entity into entity collision, which not all MMOs have. So ships will bump into each other, and, on the ground, players will bump into each other. However, that’s not going to cause damage. Ramming speed will cause damage.

You can select ramming speed as one of your skills. In which case, you can execute a ramming speed attack maneuver to ram into a target. Keep in mind, if your ship is already badly damaged, you may not want to ram into a fully intact Borg cube, for example. That would be a bad idea. On the other hand, if you know you’re going to lose, you could ram into them, hit the self destruct and take them out with you.

There are tractor beams and repulsor beams and you can use them on other ships. You can’t use them on asteroids except possibly in some special case missions. There will definitely be destructible asteroids that you’ll need to blow up, but you won’t be able to use tractors or repulsors on them. However, say the warp core of an enemy ship has gone critical and the whole thing is about to explode, you may want to slap a repulsor beam on that ship and push it far enough away that it won’t do any damage to you. Or you can slap a tractor beam on something to lock it down, so you can keep hitting it and it can’t turn or get away.

Source:http://www.startrekonline.com/ask_cryptic/4-30-09
:: pant, pant pant ::
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-10-2009, 08:41 PM
My question regarding ship flight goes beyond the WSAD conversation. I want the ability to roll my ship using Q and E like bridge commander. Will this be allowed in STO?
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Quick question, which I'm sure has been asked already:

Will jumping, falling, swimming, and possibly climbing through 3D space play a role, like in World of ******** or D&D Online, or will characters be "locked" to the ground and unable to jump or fall down, like in Guild Wars?
Lt. Commander
# 30 Sector map
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I understand the three levels of maps. Sector, system and planetary. It was mentioned that while one is travelling along in the sector map, they would see other players in the sector.

My questions: Assuming there are a large number of ships in the sector, how are those vessels going to be displayed? Are they going to appear in a fashion similar to Eve where they are just names and icons in a display window? Are they going to appear on the sector map along with your ship, and how bad is the lag expected to be while traveling through a heavily populated sector, based on your current in-game tests thus far?
Closed Thread