Lt. Commander
# 11
05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I definitely agree that you should not make your mission easier.
I dont think the words "hard" or "easy" really apply to STO at the moment. For me, combat is either "short" or "long", but length is not the same thing as difficulty.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage_Wolf
I dont think the words "hard" or "easy" really apply to STO at the moment. For me, combat is either "short" or "long", but length is not the same thing as difficulty.
I understand what you're saying to some extent, but I don't agree on the whole. There's a difference between going into a fight and auto-firing for the win and one where you actually need to use your abilities and prioritize targets.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Cryptic have never managed to balance the content they made. Do you really expect balance in the Foundry.

Oh sorry. Where did that come from...

I would like to take it to the level of building my own groups out of individual mobs. Some sort of group builder where I could save them like costumes.

Need the same for ship groups.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Persnally i have no issue with these mobs. It's a matter of tactics, which I love to thin trhough when I am in combat. Its a matter of who to take out first

When it comes to Terrans and Cardasians, I always take out the medics and the Interrogators first, tactical second and high level engineers last.

Always works for me
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Heh, Negus, I'm almost afraid to ask but...

... it wasn't my mission again was it?
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Last night I encountered a somewhat similar situation in a Foundry mission.

The 'bad guys' were Mirror Universe Terrans who were threatening P'Jem. After defeating several groups of Terrans in orbit above the planet, my captain and her valiant away team beamed down and proceeded to kick mass quantities of Terran booty...

Until they came to the final group, which consisted of a Captain, several Guards, and a Captain's Woman.

That's when things went... amok.

1. Couldn't defeat the Guards. Every time I got close to taking one out, their shields/health would fully regenerate. Was someone healing them? Were they healing themselves? Couldn't really tell.
2. Targeted the Captain. Whittled him down. Saw the 'disintegrate' animation - and then the Captain was BACK, full shields and health, firing away at my guys, but completely *invisible* except for the title floating above where he should have been. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
3. Targeted the Captain's Woman. Took her out. She came back to life. Took her out again. She came back to life again. Took her out again. She came back to life again.
4. Party wipe.
5. Back into the fray - this time the Terrans were promptly defeated.
6. Diagnosis: wacky bug.

I don't think it was the author's fault. I gave him/her 5 stars for an otherwise excellent mission.
this problem can occur with any high level mob containing a medic. It sounds like one or more of the guards is a medic here. The 2nd problem in particular has to do with the way NPCs are killed in the game. Exploiting or vaporizing the target doesn't actually do anything different from simply killing it without an exploit, aside from triggering the vaporize animation, so there's still a corpse for the medic to revive, albeit an invisible one. The same thing happens with the TOS Phaser vaporization effects. You should be able to avoid it by keeping the Medic busy, if the NPC CPR power is the same as the player version of it, CPR is a fragile buff, meaning attacking the medic will stop prevent them from finishing the buff.

One way authors can avoid this issue is clearly identifying each class when they create costumes for a mob.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-16-2011, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
To clarify what I'm really asking: I know there are certain "bugs"(though I'm not sure that term actually applies here) that authors have no control over. My question is do we as authors bear any responsibility for using mechanics that we know are unpredictable and may make our missions randomly unpleasant?
I don't know. If I really can't complete a mission, I'll probably mark it down. It's a risk an author has to take. It sucks to get bad ratings due to Foundry Bugs, but on the other hand - maybe you can do something about it, like avoiding the bug.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-16-2011, 02:51 AM
It happened once in one of my missions to someone I just happen to know. It seems like this is a bug when the player is in 'Elite' mode. I changed it for him because he really wanted to finish the mission. The mob went from Capt. level to Lt. Cmdr. I was going to change it back, but no one has complained about it, so I left it. I just have avoided using Capt lvl mobs unless I provide assistance from a friendly mob.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
wait a second... you are saying that it is RANDOM what Mobs spawn?
i thought they were a certain type of mob that at the exact same Rank spawn the eaxt same enemy?

at least that one mission with the instakill mob that i tried 3 times was allways the exact same (including everything before that).... of course i would not expect anybody to predict what happens to his mobs if multiple players play the mission.

But i thought you could at least test for instakill or uber medic mobs !?

and yes i ran into one of these uber medic mobs just today.
2 Medics with shields, 2 Engineers with shields and i think one Tac

i could not kill any of these, and the best part is, IF you kill one, the Medics are able to revive them.
...and just to note that i do not suck at ground i had a ground PvP match just yesterday me alone vs 2 other players, and i pwnd them 15 to 0

so i can kill 2 PLAYERS, without having my BOffs, but i am unable to kill some friggen medic mob on EASY.... woah RAGE!!!

the good thing was that the mob was not an objective and i was able to ninja my way to the next map by letting my BOffs dance with the mob and i just pressed the button for the next map... of course i only noticed that after dancing arround for 20 minutes ;P
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-16-2011, 01:27 PM
I only recently learned about the impossible Captain Medics. I must have spent an hour trying to beat them. My work around in The Trojan Horse was to provide some allied fire support and the battle went much better the second time