Lt. Commander
# 11
05-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Besides, isn't there a language filter yet when searching missions? The last time I tried to run a Foundry mission I dropped the idea out of frustration...of all the missions listed, 90% were in German or Spanish, and the only English language ones where useless grindfests (a la "go kill Cardassians!").

This can make it very time-consuming to find a mission if you're just trying to browse around
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Well... i got a 1 Star Review on my first Mission because somebody could not get through the Force Field on the Starbase.

In fact... the misson has no Starbase and no Forcefield.

What I am trying to say is:

There are people out there who are doing 1 Star Reviews just to rate it down, and if they want to they find a way to do "argue" why they have done so.

Don't bother with this.

I read reviews of other players first and i am very careful with 1 Star Ratings.

No Foundry Author who really tried to make something worth my while will ever get a one star from me... that's not fair.... (unless its really, really bad an not meant serious at all...)
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-16-2011, 08:58 AM
I've gotten a 1-star for the ridiculous number of a Borg mobs in my mission. This is despite none of my missions containing ANY drones.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Look, I've one starred plenty of missions myself. Cryptic put that one star option in to be used, and using it is fine.

If the mission deserves it.

But one starring a mission because "Why can't yew durn fureners just speek English?" is NOT ok, and as I've pointed out, it is against the rules of conduct that players agree to follow when they log in to Star Trek Online.

Frankly, some people just refuse to learn. Some people simply will not play nice unless you hit them in the head with a hammer. Some people will not play nice even then. These people need to be reported so they can have their ability to access the Foundry revoked so that they are no longer allowed to down rate perfectly good missions simply because they enjoy griefing.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTerasis
Well... i got a 1 Star Review on my first Mission because somebody could not get through the Force Field on the Starbase.

In fact... the misson has no Starbase and no Forcefield.

What I am trying to say is:

There are people out there who are doing 1 Star Reviews just to rate it down, and if they want to they find a way to do "argue" why they have done so.

Don't bother with this.

I read reviews of other players first and i am very careful with 1 Star Ratings.

No Foundry Author who really tried to make something worth my while will ever get a one star from me... that's not fair.... (unless its really, really bad an not meant serious at all...)
This is true. I have had 1 star ratings with the old adage "mission is broken" when 5 people run it before them and 5 people after have no problems whatsoever. I still don't know if it's a Foundry/STO bug, maybe just a bad signal with the users machine, or someone just wanting to bring the mission rating down for some reason or another. As far as the story goes, I rate missions on this as being the paramount part of my review. If there are alot of other issues, I prefer to send PM's (E-mails) in game to those authors instead of publicly slamming someones spelling and grammer. Alot of authors are not from the USA, and English is not their native language, so I try not to lambaste someone on this for all to see. A few polite suggestions to try using MS Word or another "text checker" is usually taken graciously and appreciated. There is a tremendous amount of work to get a "polished" mission published, and if I play an extremely bad or silly mission that does show alot of work went into it, I will usually try to refrain from placing a rating on it at all. As far as missions in different languages, I won't play it if I can't understand what to do. Where would the fun be in that. I just pass them over, I won't rate something without playing it through. If it bugs and I can't complete it, I drop it and try again another day if it is not "broken".
We as authors are the creative engines in our missions, and we will never please everyone, whether it be our story, or an odd bug that we have no control over. In my second mission, the interior of the wormhole (default), is extremely bright for some players. I have no idea why, but I have no control over it whatsoever, so when I get a 1 or 2 star because of it, I usually try to disregard it. I know I cannot do anything about it, so I find no reason to stress about it. I have had the same comment regarding the wormhole with some of my 4 and 5 star ratings too, and it does not appear to happen to everyone, so why sweat it.

My Missions:

Omega Directive Revisited (Part I - The Investigation) Level 31+ (Approx 1.5 Hour mission)

A sound plot leading into the second part, with a few unlikely non-canon items like a handful of Hirogen ships able to blockade and have ground based squads on Andoria with no apparent Federation resistance and an uncharacteristically emotional, paranoid, and disrespectful Vulcan Captain on DS9.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omega Directive Revisited II (Part II - Break the Link) Level 31+ (Approx 1.5 Hour mission)

Travel into the Gamma Quadrant to use the information gained during your investigation and stop the enemy from executing their plan. Strong canon based sequel for this second part. Will stand alone if you choose not to play Part 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start to my New Series Released Saturday

Spawn of Medusa Level: Any level player (Approx 1 hour)

A new enemy, unlikely ally, and plenty of action in this start to my new series.
*Decent Ground Combat
*Decent Space Combat
*Dialogue Heavy storyline
*Fairly easy Trek trivia based puzzles for newer players
*Heavy interactive storyline.

Hope you give them a go.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-16-2011, 09:25 AM
To be fair, even a ridiculous amount of Borg would let me give a 1 star rating. I drop a mission and not rate it if I don't like it - that's why I rarely give a lower score than 3 stars.

I often don't understand why there is so much hate going on. Aren't we all Star Trek fans?
Why does someone give a 1 star rating to a mission that is clearly a good mission - indicated by more than 90% 4 and 5 star ratings. Could it be envy?
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Well, I create Missions for others to have fun and to use them on the daily.

I don't want to compete with anyone in fact, I talk to other Authors and we cooperate to create even better missions for others to enjoy.

Perhaps it is envy... but I do not understand it or even will try to.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Pat, actually I do the same, butt of course everyone can rate an episode whatever he or she likes.

By the way, I have received a PM from the very reviewer and he explained to me what happened, that was nice. He rated it 3 stars now, he has recognised that downrating an episode just because of the language is not a nice thing to do. Thanks for that! I didn't expect this!

~ Eris The Vorta
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
To be fair, even a ridiculous amount of Borg would let me give a 1 star rating. I drop a mission and not rate it if I don't like it - that's why I rarely give a lower score than 3 stars.

I often don't understand why there is so much hate going on. Aren't we all Star Trek fans?
Why does someone give a 1 star rating to a mission that is clearly a good mission - indicated by more than 90% 4 and 5 star ratings. Could it be envy?
But I had no Borg. And I got a bad rating for having too many! I can't add negative Borg....
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Lolness, that was funny, Bobby.