I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm still not a big fan of an all or nothing approach to PVP and rewards. While most "true PVPers" may not be as concerned with the payoff (outside of the challenge itself) they can lead to more options, equipment, and that sort of thing. So while it isn't the primary motivator it is still nice to receive something.
Increase Variance of Rewards for Winning and Losing
- No one likes a leech and unfortunately there is no simple way to remove them. Because of this, we don't want to ruin anyone experience by making premades a requirement so it should still be possible to receive your daily payout but at a diminished rate. I don't really know the best direction to take the numbers but I'm picturing a payout roughly 1/3 of current levels for the losing side. Is that enough of a difference? Would it be better, instead of establishing a penalty by taking something away, to leave the losing side as is but boost the winning side? Whatever the case, there needs to be a large gap between the side that is successful and the side that is not.
Reduce Rewards for War Games (FvF, KvK)
- This is just training. The risks are inherently lower and the rewards should be too. There needs to be some kind of preference towards being involved in the war effort.
Make Warzones, Arenas, and Capture & Holds Refresh Everyday
- Make them truly dailies. This brings the number of potential Emblams, for example, a bit closer to the number of Emblems attainable through PVE over the course of a day. This also solves the randomization problem of having the same type, ignoring the other two, for a week at a time.
Add Missions Requiring x Number of Victories (FvK)
- Nothing is taken away from anyone and there is added incentive to do your best. At least this is something that doesn't necessarily reward an afker (for the most part). This should probably be available only in faction gameplay, not War Games. However, if it is made available for War Games then the rewards should be significantly reduced.
PVP Related Accolades
- Give people scaling side goals to strive for over longer term game play. Building up points and offering more titles or things of that nature certainly can't hurt.
I don't know the best way to go about it, but it would be great to see more people interested in PVP. I'd rather not see people doing this just to get stuff, but it needs to be a viable way to level up as well as farm to enable us to keep improving our set ups or respec builds. It needs to encourage people to work harder (I know, in a game!? Really?) at working together without completely putting someone off because they are constantly targeted... er... having a run of bad luck.
So what do you think? Rewards may not be the meat and potatoes of PVP, but they do make some nice icing on the cake (when is dinner!?). What are some changes that could be made to increase PVP participation?
Keep the current quests as is now. Have two new pvp daily quests. Participate in fvk three times, you get three more emblems. Have a path oh the warrior type objective requiring you to win three times in fvk, you get three more emblems.
You only want fvf? You still get three daily emblems for wargames. You actually participate in the war? Six more emblems if you are victorius.
I agree that there should be more rewards for FvK. I also think we should have a Daily mission that specifically distinguished ground and space. That can help drive some population to the ground combat. If not now, it should be done with Season 4 with the Ground Revamp.
That's so obvious that I'd target myself, if I could, just for missing it.
1) Thinking of accolades, merits, or badges/emblems.
Increasing the payoff for winning pvp teams will just make it harder for new players to join in on the fun. There will always be veterans creating a new alt, etc. So it will increase frustration, because PvE leveling will be more fun and effective.
Introducing new accolades might entice some players into hanging out and trying things. But the majority of Accolade hunters will just, be in private instances and e.g. will unequip shields except for one who gets the "make 100 kills without being killed" accolade.
Still targeted Accolades might make some players work harder. (achieve 1mio healing in 15, 35, 70 matches, target hale for 15, 35, 70 hours gametime, etc)
1.1) PvP weeklies
A new quests that becomes part of the queue maps. For weeklies differences in equipment and sp are greatly reduced. Bringing more variety and adding specific challenges at the same time.
The whole point is not to have FoTM or Cooky cutter builds compete, but instead provide a platform which offers new challenges. ala: "You are a god in an escort, how good is your dmg without those cannons when facing other cruisers?"
Think: TOS week" Connies vs D7," Heavy Torpedoes (HYT3 for everybody), Sci ship only, No mines etc
Ideally certain parts of the skill tree would simply be disabled for all players on the map. BO choices should be limited. It is even possible to have every player use the exact same layout and equipment for the map. Add a 60s timer upon entering the map for ppl to adjust the layouts.
If nullifying the skill tree is not possible per map, we need to balance the quests, so that those with sp in cannons are at a disadvantage, in one week, and those with sp in beams in the next.
2) Reduce rewards for wargames
Idc, as long as people have the choice to queue up for the type they want fine by me. I don't think it will have any effect whatsoever.
3) no idea what you are talking about.
3 pvp daylies warzone, arena, and c&H for 9 emblems per day? That would be cool indeed.
I'd say to remove emblem rewards from PvP, but add more opportunities for emblems elsewhere to make up the difference.
I get that as one possible way to remove the afkers and other leeches but as for the purpose of this thread it's also entirely counter productive. Good day, sir!!
Originally Posted by havam
1) Thinking of accolades, merits, or badges/emblems...
Agreed! And added!
Originally Posted by havam
PS.: Fix Targetting
Quoted for truth, although since it isn't related to rewards (unless you consider reduced eye strain and frustration a reward... in which case you'd still be right) I didn't put that part up there. That deserves it's own thread anyway!
Leechers are the one thing that drives me nuts in PvP, but I somehow suspect that increasing rewards for victories would just tempt people to leech more, not to participate more. ANd it would make it even more aggravating to know that you had missed out on victory due to a leecher.
I am cool with leechers that stay out of fights, like in CnH when I was suXX0r in PvP I would Cap and let the Elite battle it out. I mean yeah I fought. It is hard to avoid combat in a cruiser but my main goal was to cap and cap often. I can handle those leechers but the fools that sit idle at spawn are pathetic and the mechanics in the game do not time them out if they have a macro set that spams the fire button even though they have nothing to fire at.