Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-17-2011, 10:00 AM
The super easy fix is to just open up some Gorn options in the character editor for aliens.

If they're using the CO engine fully they ~should~ be able to enable "reptile" as a head and leave it to the players to decide if they can live with the clipping or not. Heck, they could just call the feature a "beta" and then see what happens. I wager 90% of the player base won't care if there's some graph glitches and given the shapes of the heads will be able to live with it quietly.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Herald
If they're using the CO engine fully they ~should~ be able to enable "reptile" as a head and leave it to the players to decide if they can live with the clipping or not.
Actually, CO and STO share the Cryptic Engine. STO does not run the same way CO does - and the longer STO is running, the more it is moving away from being similar to CO.

Right now we sadly cannot interchange between uniforms from our two factions seamlessly. It's however not the first time people are asking about this, so we'll keep trying to find a way to make this happen.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I was really disappointed by that also since I try to keep by BOFFs in a standard uniform. But considering how many of my people are in distinct uniforms now (Borg, Breen, Reman) it isn't quite as annoying as it used to be.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadprime View Post
Yeah, I was really disappointed by that also since I try to keep by BOFFs in a standard uniform. But considering how many of my people are in distinct uniforms now (Borg, Breen, Reman) it isn't quite as annoying as it used to be.
You must mean the STF Borg BO because the Amazon Borg female can be changed to any uniform just dependent on faction. The KDF one doesn't get access to Orion stuff though.

Edit: now that makes me think. When they finally get around to doing a new faction (probably Romulan), those who have the Borg BO access via Amazon won't get that on Romulan? Or any other retail items we unlocked?
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
The "exchange officer" argument doesn't fly here, folks... The Federation and Klingons are in a state of WAR. You don't do "diplomatic exchanges" like that with your enemies. You do them with your allies.

Therefore, these enemy faction officers are actually defectors, and as such they should have full customization options available.

Either that or they are actually spies... in which case, there needs to be a brig added to all ship interiors so I can send them there.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
That they have white (common) traits, when by this time in your career you have at least blue or probably purple boffs which have superior traits. I'd like to think that an exchange officer would be someone who is better than average in their skills and open-mindedness; you'd figure any officers who crossed over during a war would probably be intelligence operatives.

I have probably 10 ambassadors on my account. None of them have claimed their reward boffs yet in hopes that they improve the traits on them at some point.
Seconded and thirded!

As far as I am concerned, the current exchange officers are borderline ludicrous. Why would I bother with a common BO above Commander level, especially with so few choices to pick from? It's a pretty lame "reward".

Cryptic, please improve this situation! Like Shakkar, I will NOT claim an exchange officer until this is fixed. As far as that goes, we should be able to recostume these exchange officers just like other BO's... at least as far as the "native" species-specific costume parts are concerned. I don't necessarily need to put them in Starfleet uniforms... I understand why the Breen and Reman BO's from the FE's can't be reskinned, but not these.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Actually, CO and STO share the Cryptic Engine. STO does not run the same way CO does - and the longer STO is running, the more it is moving away from being similar to CO.

Right now we sadly cannot interchange between uniforms from our two factions seamlessly. It's however not the first time people are asking about this, so we'll keep trying to find a way to make this happen.
What I don't understand is how is an Orion's body different from an Alien with green skin?

How is a Federation Klingon different from a Klingon Klingon?

I can ALMOST see needing special tech or work for the breen because they NEED the suit they wear...but the Remans? The Letheans? The Orions? There doesn't appear to be ANY need to do special work other than switching a toggle over...
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyto View Post
The "exchange officer" argument doesn't fly here, folks... The Federation and Klingons are in a state of WAR. You don't do "diplomatic exchanges" like that with your enemies. You do them with your allies.

Therefore, these enemy faction officers are actually defectors, and as such they should have full customization options available.

Either that or they are actually spies... in which case, there needs to be a brig added to all ship interiors so I can send them there.
Does anything in game actually support your position that they are defectors? If not, then who are you to say that they aren't exchange officers in hopes of finding common ground?

I remember clearly the TNG episode where Riker was assigned to a Klingon war bird and served as its executive officer, and I'm pretty certain he wore his starfleet uniform instead of changing into klingon gear.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...aces_Riker.jpg

So, unless you have some in game evidence that this is a defection instead of an exchange program, it seems at least for the KDF BOFF that the exchange program line of reasoning is sound.

Now ... the Reman and Breen BOFF's? They're both defectors.

The Borg? Seven of Nine typically wore her own thing instead of a standard uniform so I guess the real answer is that YMMV
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Heck, I'd just like to have one PERIOD. It's like owning a Ferrari and then complaining that it's yellow instead of red. OK, perhaps Gorn BOs aren't as cool as Ferraris, but you get my analogy, I hope
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone

Wish I kinda gotta call shenanigans here.

You've got models in game. You've got an engine that displays models. If a "player" can have a reptile head, then why does it matter what faction he's in?

Likewise, Orions are basically green humans. Klingons already exist as federation options. It mostly feels, as someone one who hasn't seen the code I admit, that what's really at issue here is the specific permissions to assign some kind of costume part to a given model in the game world. Maybe it's bigger than that but I'm not wrapping my head around the idea that being Blue or Red means that the engine totally treats access to models and skins differently.

You're right it's not CO. But it is all permissions to access and draw specific art resources. The resources exist to put a lizard head on a humanoid body. Or at the least they exist to put green skin on a human shape. Forget the Gorn, why can't we put our Orions in uniforms? We can already chose between uniforms and "stock" looks for borg officers.

Or I'm nuts and this is all far more complicated than it seems.....