Lt. Commander
Hi folks, I'm experimenting with dialog options and trying to bring a degree of "choice" into the players actions. In the scenario I thought out, you discover a destroyed ship.... you have the option to either enter standard orbit and take no further action... OR you can contact starfleet to report your findings. Now the thing I'm wondering, if you select the second option later in the mission is it possible to spawn an allied ship to help fight with you... but only if you contact starfleet (the thought is they send reinforcements to help you). I was hoping to have a ground map section and then you beam up to fight an attacking squadron of ships... and then if you chose to contact Starfleet you get another cruiser warp in to help you. Is this possible??? If I've not made things clear just let me know and I'll try not to waffle too much lol.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
Hi folks, I'm experimenting with dialog options and trying to bring a degree of "choice" into the players actions. In the scenario I thought out, you discover a destroyed ship.... you have the option to either enter standard orbit and take no further action... OR you can contact starfleet to report your findings. Now the thing I'm wondering, if you select the second option later in the mission is it possible to spawn an allied ship to help fight with you... but only if you contact starfleet (the thought is they send reinforcements to help you). I was hoping to have a ground map section and then you beam up to fight an attacking squadron of ships... and then if you chose to contact Starfleet you get another cruiser warp in to help you. Is this possible??? If I've not made things clear just let me know and I'll try not to waffle too much lol.
Hmm... I don't think this is possible if you're intending the actions that happen on one map to affect the actions that happen on another later map. However, it is possible if all of it happens on the same map. Using optional objectives, the appearance of reinforcements could be directly tied into a choice, if the choice is disguised as an object interact with invis objects. If you haven't, please check out parts 5 and 6 of my triggers tutorial series.

http://starbaseugc.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Ok, thanks. I will have a look at the triggers tutorial again. Think I'll have to try tie it in to an optional objective... but I'm having trouble understanding the "normal" objective markers nevermind optional ones lol.

Also, I wasn't planning on making anything worth publishing to start with so just gave the project name "mission" to keep things simple. But since then it's kind of evolved into something I might like to put out there. Unfortunately, even though I change the name of the project from mission to whatever else I like even if I save it... it just reverts back to the old mission name in the projects list next time I log into foundry. Kind of annoying. If I can't fit it I might have to start from scratch!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-16-2011, 06:31 AM
I believe that the project name changes after publishing, according to Zero in the bug forums. But, yes, it reverts to the original name prior to that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok I started the mission from scratch again, the first go was so cluttered with crap it was just getting confusing. Must say my second attempt is looking much more awesome... those tutorials are really helping.

One thing I couldn't see though, how do I set waypoints for NPC groups? I have a scenario where you find an injured man, use triggers to beam down a "medical team" after you finish talking to him but I want the "team" to run from where they beamed in to the "patient". How do I do this?

Also, I've set up some costumes, but don't know how to apply them to NPC's? It's a bit of an issue because by default NPC groups spawn with the 24th century uniforms not TOS ones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I figured out the NPC costumes was being a bit thick :p. But I'm still confused by the NPCs and how to get them to go certain places. I know there is the wander thing, but its only working after the mission is published and thats just in random directions isn't it? All I want to do is get 3 NPC's to walk 5 steps from where they beam in to their "patient".