Lt. Commander
# 131
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat40 View Post
According to who? In the movie they made no mention of it. Nor would it be necessary for a ship from the future to be modified with Borg tech to destroy many ships 150 years in the past. The path stories list it as "heavily modified" but I believe this is a statement they made up to help make this huge plot snafu fit.

I am just saying it makes no sense. The only Klingon fleet destroyed by a Mining vessel was 150 years in the past in the movie. They must have been writing based off of leaked info or rumors and mistakenly written in the destruction of a Klingon fleet in the future.

Hate to point it our and rain on a parade. It is a good piece of writing and really captured the spirit of Worf and Jake.

I am just hoping that they can re write it in some way so that the Klingon fleet in the future was destroyed by something believable not just a single mining ship. (Since the destruction of the Klingon fleet is a plot device used in their story it still has to happen) Say it was destroyed by a plasma storm thrown off by the implosion of the supernova.

Foxbat
Read this then come back to me, ok.
Lt. Commander
# 132
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboulevardo View Post
its quite possible that battle between Nero and the Klingon fleet happens after Nero first enters 24th century time and before he goes through the black hole rift, but thats just a guess...some clarification would be nice.

and that was an excellent read, nice tie in to the movie and introducing jake is definitely a nice touch!

i can feel the tension from my workstation here lol, i cant wait to play it out in the game!
This has probably been answered, but I will do it anyways.

Nero went on a rampage after gaining the technology from the Romulan base, going after all perceived enemies of Romulus. Worf was sent to intercept, and his force was wiped out by the Narada. You recall what Nero did at the beginning of the movie with the captain of the USS Kelvin? Pulled the same stunt on Worf, but Worf is a stubborn sort that won't die that easily.

After Worf was rescued, Nero went after Spock, leading to the black hole time rift. Since it was the USS Enterprise that rescued Worf, the rumor of it all being a Federation plot began circulating.

If you want more information, Countdown is out as a graphic novel format or else download the 4 comics for $1 each from iTunes. Seriously, if you want to understand the sequence of events better, do so.

And please, no 'canon' arguments. For STO, Countdown...counts.
Lt. Commander
# 133
06-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat40 View Post
According to who? In the movie they made no mention of it. Nor would it be necessary for a ship from the future to be modified with Borg tech to destroy many ships 150 years in the past. The path stories list it as "heavily modified" but I believe this is a statement they made up to help make this huge plot snafu fit.

I am just saying it makes no sense. The only Klingon fleet destroyed by a Mining vessel was 150 years in the past in the movie. They must have been writing based off of leaked info or rumors and mistakenly written in the destruction of a Klingon fleet in the future.

Hate to point it out and rain on a parade. It is a good piece of writing and really captured the spirit of Worf and Jake.

I am just hoping that they can re write it in some way so that the Klingon fleet in the future was destroyed by something believable not just a single mining ship. (Since the destruction of the Klingon fleet is a plot device used in their story it still has to happen) Say it was destroyed by a plasma storm thrown off by the implosion of the supernova.

Foxbat
*bangs head against desk*

Geeze, how many times does it have to be said in the very same thread? This all happened in the Star Trek - Countdown miniseries, which served as a direct prequel to the movie. Here it is.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...8018&snumber=1

In that comic miniseries, we saw the destruction of Romulus by the Hobus supernova, and how Nero and Spock got sent back in time. We also saw how Nero got his hands on the Red Matter, and his ship being upgraded with Borg technology. That miniseries features Ambassador Picard, Captain Data of the Enterprise, and Worf, who commanded a Klingon fleet from that time period which was destroyed by the Narada (due to being souped up by Borg technology). This is something that's been answered on this thread approximately 57 times, now. Please, read the thread! Is that to much to ask?
Lt. Commander
# 134
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
A comment directed towards this writing.

I will assume our 'intrepid reporter' on the Annika Hansen interview was also our man Jake. If so, I have to complain slightly. I believe these supplementals are doing a fantastic job of capturing the essence of the interviewees - Seven of Nine/Annika Hansen and now Worf, but they are kind of missing the essense of the interviewer - Jake.

I've been a fan of Cirric Lofton's character Jake ever since I played him during the Star Trek LARP at GenCon. Seeing a character grow over seven years like he did was one of the things I really enjoyed about DS9. I just think there are some quirks with the way he phrases things and acts that are not coming through on these interviews.

Now, for a suggestion. The person Jake really needs to interview next is the father of his best friend - the Grand Nagus of the Ferengi, Rom.
Lt. Commander
# 135
06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Elias Vaughn
*bangs head against desk*

Geeze, how many times does it have to be said in the very same thread? This all happened in the Star Trek - Countdown miniseries, which served as a direct prequel to the movie. Here it is.
I just don't think the purists understand how this is all working. Many of the books and comics are being brought in by Cryptic to make the timeline, to make the backstory, and to create an expanded universe.

Maybe, at the end of the Timeline before the game is released, Cryptic can toss up a bibliography of everything they used.

Star Trek Online is its own reality. It is its own "canon". It is using things from books and comics as they see fit, and Jack said as much back during the Webcast last August this was the case. So, people, stop griping about "canon". This is NOT going to be a purist game. If you are so dead set for it to be, then you'd better reevaluate the time spent here constantly bringing up irrelevant "canon" griping.
Lt. Commander
# 136
06-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltfngr View Post
I just don't think the purists understand how this is all working. Many of the books and comics are being brought in by Cryptic to make the timeline, to make the backstory, and to create an expanded universe.

Maybe, at the end of the Timeline before the game is released, Cryptic can toss up a bibliography of everything they used.

Star Trek Online is its own reality. It is its own "canon". It is using things from books and comics as they see fit, and Jack said as much back during the Webcast last August this was the case. So, people, stop griping about "canon". This is NOT going to be a purist game. If you are so dead set for it to be, then you'd better reevaluate the time spent here constantly bringing up irrelevant "canon" griping.
Jolan'tru Ltfngr
Nicely said
Lt. Commander
# 137
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nean800 View Post
Books are considered PARTIAL CANON. Cite: Mem Alpha and the DEV's
If the books are partial canon, then that means the STO devs still can't overwrite it.

Then again, they did said they would pick and choose from the novels. So guess Jake Sisko and Worf weren't part of that. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Worf and other Klingons could easily see that as running from challenges to his honor. Worf pretty much has to stay in the open and continue with whatever he is doing, in order to save face. Having Martok vouch for him would only weaken Martok, not look bad for Worf.
Not exactly, there were a few times on TNG and DS9 where Worf had that happen and he didn't find it dishonorable. In fact it was more honorable in respecting those who are helping you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
That's what I thought it was saying. How much more interesting would a Klingon-Ferengi hybrid be? There's no point in Worf having a kid with another previously named character, especially when it destroys the possibility of something as interesting as Quark Jr. son of Bilka.
I know!

Not to mention Quark socializing with Klingons. We know that drives them up the wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re4_wesker View Post
I hate to shoot down your point especially because i like the books but the books aren't considered canon and aren't being used as canon in this games timeline. Certain elements of the novels may be used but not the novels themselves.
But Paramount said books are canon. They just aren't Primary canon like the TV shows and the movies.

And it's illogical to pick and choose what you want from the novels. Not to mention it's very disrespectful to those authors who written those novels if one part is chosen and the other part ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
They didn't say anywhere in this article that he wasn't working on a book. Perhaps he's doing that and writing for the Federation News Service? Most writers do several writing projects at once...
Exactly, they didn't mention his book. Which they could've easily stated he just completed it or he took time off. It's these little things that get you and others ignore.

Call me nitpicky, but I'm a Star Trek fan who wants STO to fit in as perfect as it can so others can enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 138
06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
I meet with Ambassador Worf in his home on QoínoS. He hasnít spoken with any reporter since the events surrounding the Hobus explosion. The Ambassador is an old friend of my family, which is why I thought I might be able to speak with him. It appears that I was right.

Ambassador Worf is a warrior. He is clearly still recovering from the near fatal injuries he took while fighting the madman, Nero. Just as clearly, he refuses to allow those injuries to slow him down.

He is also furious with me.

Link to the news article.
is he happy.
Lt. Commander
# 139
06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
War between the klingons and federation would be worfs private Kobayashi Maru.
Lt. Commander
# 140
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not really fond of this supplement.

That's not how Worf would act, especially hiding behind Martok like a shield.

As for Jake Sisko, he's in his 30's by now. He supposed to be a novelist, not continuing being a reporter.
Can't he be both?