Lt. Commander
# 141
06-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I still find it hard to belive that mining ship could destroy a fleet of klingon ships. I really think that you need to fix your timeline. If you are going off of what is on the startrek 11 movie, it would imply that the klingon fleet of the 23rd century was destroyed... not the 24th century fleet.

Lets just relate this all to present day stuff... I dont think Some Russian Mining boat could take out the American Naval fleet. But maybe if some current day Russian Mining boat was up against a bunch of 200 year old american battle ships, it might have a chance.
Lt. Commander
# 142
06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Why don't they listen, somebody get me a phaser so I can end this.

The the mining vessel supped up with Borg tech took on a Klingon fleet led by General Wolf, and kicked the snot out of them, before shortly going back in time.

It's all there in the 4 canon prequel comics simply called Star Trek Countdown.
Lt. Commander
# 143
06-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_reaper87 View Post

The the mining vessel supped up with Borg tech took on a Klingon fleet led by General Wolf, and kicked the snot out of them, before shortly going back in time.

It's all there in the 4 canon prequel comics simply called Star Trek Countdown.
Sorry dude He does not get it we can all say Read the COUNTDOWN but he still will not get it.
Lt. Commander
# 144
06-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_reaper87 View Post
LOL, I feel you man. The first post explains the link between the two timelines, but the second post after that disregards what the first post was explaining. Then the third post tries to explain what the first post was explaining, to the second post, But the fourth post disregards both the first and the third posts, so the fifth post tries yet to explain what the first post was explaining, to the fourth post. Then the sixth post disregards the first, the third and the fifth post and......it's a viscious circle!

Looking forward to the day we break out of it
Lt. Commander
# 145
06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
No. They're doing fine. They don't need to do that. That wouldn't be invaluable. This is what the show is for. They can watch the TV show and like magic they don't have to do that. And it's not like the story people would make that cinematic you're talking about. They'd likely have little to do with it so in the end watching the show is just the same if not better.
How so? They should have, or be in the process of, creating the models of these characters for the game, it's just a matter of writing a script and animating it, one of which can be handed by the story people, and the other by the same people making the models.

While it's true that we could get the 'same effect' from watching the show, that's not going to help the game be more 'real'.

And to say it would be a waste of time to do such is foolish; at the E3 Bioware showed off and very similar sort of thing, detailing one of the major events in their 'history' for the Old Republic MMO, and it impressed a great many people, and doubtless helped improve interest in the MMO.

Thus far, I've seen nothing of STO that has really done the same for me, and I don't doubt the same feeling is shared by many people passing through.
Lt. Commander
# 146
06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post

But Paramount said books are canon. They just aren't Primary canon like the TV shows and the movies.

And it's illogical to pick and choose what you want from the novels. Not to mention it's very disrespectful to those authors who written those novels if one part is chosen and the other part ignored.
well i didn't see a massive fleet of borg ships flying in to massacre the federation yet (destiny novels) so i assume for the most part they are ignoring many of the books. and hey i'm not making these decisions. like i said i actually like the books. i believe the term they used is "soft canon". if what you described prior fits into soft canon idk.
Lt. Commander
# 147
06-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivet View Post
Howdy,

I'm glad you guys liked it! I had a blast writing this supplemental, and watching lots of DS9 to make sure I'd get the speech cadences right.

[...]

-Alivet
Apologies, Alivet. I thought Kestrel was the only one writing these pieces. Allow me to rephrase: Kestrel, Alivet, when are we going to see the first STO-based Star Trek novels from each of you?

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 148
06-13-2009, 12:22 AM
I can't believe how many times I've had to post this link on these forums ...

The Star Trek Countdown comics can be found HERE. Amazon ships worldwide, with many localized versions of its service from country to country.

My friend, Captain Jack Sparrow, also drunkenly informs me that some of his pirate friends have also sighted fleeting copies of of these comics out on the torrential seas. I'm not sure what that means (Sparrow's drunk, as usual), but perhaps you can figure it out for yourselves?

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 149
06-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I always like these but didnít get all that much out of this one other than confirmation that Jake was the reporter (but thatís enough for me to see it as a success) and the attention paid to Worfs new son. Worfs full blooded Klingon son raised on Qo'noS by a proud Worf at a time when heís a major force in the Klingon hierarchy.
Then thereís Worfs first son Alexander. One quarter human, raised by his half human mother and then for a time by his full human adopted grandparents in a federation upbringing; and always had a rocky relationship with Worf.

Throw all that into a feudal house system and you have some real potential for problems between the two half brothers.

On a side note,
Countdown is cannon because itís not just ďsome star trek comicĒ that just happened to come out right before the movie. It was commissioned to be a prologue for the movie. Itís the illustrated version of the same story Spock tells in the movie. The comic book format is irrelevant; it is in effect the first act of the movies story ark. It was part of the movies story before it was made into a comic.
Lt. Commander
# 150
06-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNerd View Post
I always like these but didnít get all that much out of this one other than confirmation that Jake was the reporter (but thatís enough for me to see it as a success) and the attention paid to Worfs new son. Worfs full blooded Klingon son raised on Qo'noS by a proud Worf at a time when heís a major force in the Klingon hierarchy.
Then thereís Worfs first son Alexander. One quarter human, raised by his half human mother and then for a time by his full human adopted grandparents in a federation upbringing; and always had a rocky relationship with Worf.

Throw all that into a feudal house system and you have some real potential for problems between the two half brothers.

On a side note,
Countdown is cannon because itís not just ďsome star trek comicĒ that just happened to come out right before the movie. It was commissioned to be a prologue for the movie. Itís the illustrated version of the same story Spock tells in the movie. The comic book format is irrelevant; it is in effect the first act of the movies story ark. It was part of the movies story before it was made into a comic.
I always think canon status should be reserved for what's on screen, not written down or drawn. (I hate the new abomination anyway so I don't think Cryptic should have touched it with a 10 foot pole, but there you go... )