Lt. Commander
# 61 Old Friends, New Enemies
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
The developers have directly stated that old friends will become enemies, come 2409. Will it be the Klingons, and this article insinuates is possible? Will it be the Vulcans (which I think would be wicket cool!)?

I think the Klingons would be a less fun choice of surprise antagonist, since it has been done and done already. They were the first major recurring antagonist, then they become friends, and enemies again in DS9, and then allies for the Dominion war. I think we are ready for another race to come to the forefront, and the Vulcans would make the most sense (and be the most emotionally jarring).

Roliel
Lt. Commander
# 62
06-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliel
The developers have directly stated that old friends will become enemies, come 2409. Will it be the Klingons, and this article insinuates is possible? Will it be the Vulcans (which I think would be wicket cool!)?

I think the Klingons would be a less fun choice of surprise antagonist, since it has been done and done already. They were the first major recurring antagonist, then they become friends, and enemies again in DS9, and then allies for the Dominion war. I think we are ready for another race to come to the forefront, and the Vulcans would make the most sense (and be the most emotionally jarring).

Roliel
The Vulcans are a playable race in STO and are founding members of the Federation. I don't think the Federation could kick them out even if they wanted to. It would look weak for the Federation to break up. That and I don't like the idea of flip flopping races again. (Initially wanted Cardassian, after much consideration decided on Vulcan)
Lt. Commander
# 63
06-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenshiBat View Post
Rest assured the Romulans are like their Vulcan kin long lived and with a good memory for enemies of the empire.. That would make Nero not ready to retire...and a persistant threat..
For the love of Bob Saget half of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Read the Countdown Comics!
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh this is a great log! And I am really curious if jake wrote the other logs too.

And if you are looking for a german translation, Here you are
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Another great read, with your hallmark nuanced storytelling! When are we going to see the first STO-based novel from you, Kestrel?

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 66
06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
For the love of Bob Saget half of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Read the Countdown Comics!

LOL, way to tell them. But I think they are too deeply dugged in their own theories, to even consider reading the comics.
Lt. Commander
# 67
06-11-2009, 05:45 PM
good interview with worf and i was happy when jake was doing it very nice work
Lt. Commander
# 68
06-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I want an in depth interview with Admiral Janeway hehe
Lt. Commander
# 69
06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes this one was a nice read, :p
Lt. Commander
# 70 The Comic Gap (spoiler alert)
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Howdy,

I'm glad you guys liked it! I had a blast writing this supplemental, and watching lots of DS9 to make sure I'd get the speech cadences right.

Quick explanation of the gap between the movie and STO, where the comic books go:

In 2387 Spock and Nero, together, try to save Romulus. Spock fails to save Romulus, but does save the rest of the galaxy. Nero blames Spock for the destruction, for not trying hard enough to save Romulus. Nero gets his ship refitted with secret Romulan technology and starts attacking Federation and Klingon ships. Worf leads a fleet of Klingon ships against Nero and nearly gets killed.

Nero sees Spock on his way to save the galaxy and goes after him. That's when they both get caught in the red matter explosion and get sent back in time.

There's a lot going on in the comics. They're worth reading, if you have the interest. If not, this should be enough info to bridge the gap.

-Alivet