Lt. Commander
# 11
05-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Stop your ranting. kidden

I don't think tying Sci to Aux drain would really help... so Sci Players would all install an EPS... and with the longer Sci skill cool downs what would be the point.
A drain would work like weapons, the drain would be in effect the duration of the powers use. So if TSS is 15 sec with 30 sec CD the 15 sec it is active it will drain, maybe not much. And the drain could be augmented by skill points and level. So if you are a sci that throws things will nilly all at once each skill would be progressively weaker because the aux would be lower after each skill is activated. EPS would help a little but it would be a constant to drain cap for that power.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
A drain would work like weapons, the drain would be in effect the duration of the powers use. So if TSS is 15 sec with 30 sec CD the 15 sec it is active it will drain, maybe not much. And the drain could be augmented by skill points and level. So if you are a sci that throws things will nilly all at once each skill would be progressively weaker because the aux would be lower after each skill is activated. EPS would help a little but it would be a constant to drain cap for that power.
I think another issue with that mechanic would be the current list of sci skills... Should a SS really limit the aux power of a sci ship for 30 seconds... or a Gravity well reduce the aux pool for 20 seconds. The issue with the mechanic will be the long durations of some aux skills... and the fact that some skills like CPB are instant and there for would have no drain at all. I think this would need some massive rebalancing and either end up in a very pouched system, that would likely push every sci ship into the same rotation of 1 to 3 skills.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The Idea with the limited arc was definitely not mine, because I remembe reading it from someone else. I am not sure it is a meaningful limitation, but it could at least be one. (Though that is also implicitely a Carrier "nerf).
Honestly when I pug as a klink I HATE anyone that runs SS on a carrier. The carrier SS is NOT A GOOD IDEA, using SS reveals all clocked vessels to the enemy. I hate being cloaked and swinging round in my bop, only to get vaporized by a FAW while cloaked cause some FedOn is running Scramble 3 in his carrier.

Honestly until cryptic fixes that little issue, SS is not a good klink skill anyway. It has been funny as heck playing our feds against a few well known klink teams lately (they seem to be liking carriers for some odd reason)... and watching them drop the SS... Pouncing their poor little battle cloaking bops is hilarity.

I'm not sure if the scramble arc was my idea at first of if I read it from someone else too... it wouldn't be a complete fix in my view for SS alone. However it does seem to be logical that if the other sensor probe ability has an arc, scramble should as well. (In truth removing the arc from VM wouldn't upset me going the other way)
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I like the idea of sci abilities draining AUX, tho the relative drain should be bigger than a single, say, beam shot (-10).

A bigger, instant and non-continuous drain to AUX could be the key.

Also, I think AUX Power Level should be rendered universally useful: binding ALL defensive and healing powers to AUX value (including Teams) would help mitigate the Heal/Res-stacking problem.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Thinking about it more... no reason all heal skills (teams included like Lord-Thy has said) Couldn't all be aux dependent and drain X amount of power from the system for Y amount of time, Regardless of skill duration. Making it easier to setup and balance. (Aux power globals basicly)

Meaning say

Engi Team could draw -15 aux for 10 sec
Aux to Sif could draw -20 aux of 5 sec
Transfer Shield Strength -15 aux for 10 sec
Emergency power to sheilds / engines / weapons (renamed to Aux power to... ) -20 aux for 15 sec
Emergency power to Aux could remain unchanged and not really effect balance. (rename it Battery power to Aux)

For Attack skills same idea fixed drains for fixed times.

So CPB -20 power for 15 seconds
Gravity Well -20 power for 15 seconds

Just fixing the drain to X for a set time no matter the duration could work.

Of course knowing Cryptic this would involve 50,000 date entry lines in 5,000 modules. And any changes would result in Tykens Rifts being targetable... and skills ignoring Defenses. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I think that having Sci abilities drain would be Scis at an unfair advantage. We'd be faced with 2 sets of drains (on our Aux and Weapons), while other ships wouldn't feel that much of a hurting from their Aux being drained. We're already pretty much the most power-dependent and hungry ships around.

It's similar to how Sci consoles are easily lost (for the Borg console, for example) on ships that aren't Sci.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
But is it any less unfair that Science Ships can throw out 5 or 6 abilities within quick succession without consequences? This is becoming very popular tactic in PvP with teams with science ships.

In Star Trek, when they needed to pull off a powerful ability, it took time to power up and then use. For instance the Deflector Pulse against the Borg Cube. And it should be no different than those using Gravity Wells and Tykens, after all you are ripping up Space Time.

That or put long term resitances with every kind of science ability, which doesn't seem any fairer for Science Captains.

Honestly, Cryptic really does need to start from scratch. As we see now with FAW and spam, the PvP system has basically gone nuts.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
But is it any less unfair that Science Ships can throw out 5 or 6 abilities within quick succession without consequences? This is becoming very popular tactic in PvP with teams with science ships.
Every class can do that. The problem is not that classes can do that, the problem is that science powers, being control abilities, tend to bring the most "unfun" to the victim. Damage, healing, that's all neat and clean. But getting scrambled and pushed around, that makes people lose control over their character. That's a fundamental issue that science is facing, but just nerfing science power to be ineffective and not useable very often cannot be the solution - it just means Science will be less used.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
The trouble with sci is that the effect of many of the powers are usless for PUGing and overpowered in a coordinated team...

Many of the sci-skills needs a re-design to make them stronger as one-ship skills but weaker as a team skill.

Any further nerfing of the current sci abilities will completely ruin sci ships for the largest group of players... (solo PvE players)
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
The trouble with sci is that the effect of many of the powers are usless for PUGing and overpowered in a coordinated team...
That's exactly it, how do we regulate this without causing problems?

Because nerfing abilities or putting resists on every offensive ability is going to affect PvE as well.