Lt. Commander
# 41
07-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I would imagine that would pretty rough - but also very cool.

Just remember that the textures for these ships appear to have been done more with emphasis on general looks and speed, rather than interior design - I figure you can put however many decks as you want, within reason, and be all right. That being said, I don't really know how the two ships would stack up against each other size wise without going in game to the ship editor. The shorter bit sounds right, as the Nomad class is a bit stubbier than the other Star Cruiser variants.
Lt. Commander
# 42
07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah... looks like I'm going with 28 to 29 decks pretty much beacause that is as "canon" as I can figure it being and... working on an image any bigger than 8932 X1660 pixels in Windows 7 PAINT is pretty glitchy. but I like working in paint... I know, kinda crazy.. but hey we stick with what we like.

Thanks for the reply and the Info on LCARSC.com, I joined last friday, very good resource
Lt. Commander
# 43
07-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Also have you thought about adding specific things such as the Aegis/Borg materials to your MSD, other than listing it at the bottom, I would be interested to see what your thoughts on the type of integration devices you would have inside your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 44
07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, the Aegis would in theory be Starfleet standard, as it was developed at Memory Alpha. I did think about giving some items a purple color scheme to reflect their presence, but decided against it (too much work :p ). The Borg would also probably be too much trouble, since it would require a lot of jumbled Borg power lines in various places... I'm sure there's a way for it to look good, but it would take a while to find the right look.
Lt. Commander
# 45
07-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I have no words to express how awesome that master systems display and ship's internal design is.
Lt. Commander
# 46
07-22-2011, 11:24 PM
How do you even go about doing an MSD? I've been wanting to knock one out for an Excalibur class Cruiser but don't really know how to bo about it.
Lt. Commander
# 47
07-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtFromPA
How do you even go about doing an MSD? I've been wanting to knock one out for an Excalibur class Cruiser but don't really know how to bo about it.
First: Find a computer program you like, that make lots of cool shapes that you'll need. I used Inkscape, a free vector graphics program, but whatever floats your boat.

Second: Take lots of screenshots of your ship (or always have the game/Tribble server open). You should reference the actual ship whenever possible. Make sure you take one or two screenshots of the ship directly from the side - that's the main image you'll use for the outline. Put that image in your program of choice, and outline the ship. It may be more difficult depending on the configuration, especially if nacelles block some of the ship, but that's the main outline that people see in an MSD.

Third: Make a list of things you want to see in the MSD, and things that have to be there. For example: Bridge, Warp Core, Nacelle equipment are all things that are present in pretty much every MSD ever. Make sure your list has essentials like that, and anything else you can add as you feel like it.

Fourth: Make sure you have a general idea of where things go in your ship. This will be based on your general knowledge of things Trek, as well as the exterior of your actual ship. Examples: Warp Core goes in the secondary hull, Bridge goes on top of the saucer. Things like Impulse Engines or a Shuttlebay will be determined by your ship's in game model (although with an Excalibur class they'll have standard placement - in a ship like mine, where the Impulse Engine is where the Shuttlebay normally goes, I had to look for Shuttlebay doors).

Fifth: Figure out how many decks you're working with. You can do this by counting the rows of windows, or by figuring out the height and dividing by 3 meters (the STO ship guide ought to tell you the length of standard class configurations, you can get the height from there), or however you want to (making up numbers is fine too!). Once you know the deck number, add that many horizontal lines to your image/outline, make sure they fit properly, and you're good to go. The bridge is a pretty good place to start this check, since it's dome will be about the size of one deck, maybe a little smaller if you decide the dome is just the ceiling rather than the whole bridge.

Sixth: Now that you have the outline and deck layout set, just go crazy! Add the essentials in the places they go, then fill the rest in with whatever you like. Put crew quarters on a few decks, add a Sickbay, maybe some science labs... whatever you like! There was an MSD I saw that was an "Engineering" version - it showed internal framework and technical systems, rather than labs/quarters or things like that. If that's what you want, go for it!

The important thing to remember is that you're doing an MSD for fun - and it's your ship! Make sure it looks how you want it to look like, and enjoy it. Slap an LCARS interface around the border, a few labels, and upload it to the internet. Bam, you're done!
Lt. Commander
# 48
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Very nice! I've been working on one for my ship over the last year or so (I spend an hour here or there on it). But it is no where as detailed as yours.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...nova-msd-3.png
(and the matching dedication plate: http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...k/Dedplate.jpg)
peter
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Ive also been putting together a LCARS of my crew manifest @ http://fav.me/d4i8hxo Its a WIP comments and suggestions are welcome