Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
There are several reasons Ground PvP is not very succesful and the Queues are very slow, but I think one immediate thing to do to improve Ground population would be to change the existing PvP (EmbleM) quests so Space and Ground PvP are seperated.

At endgame, for example: You have one Ground PvP mission for 3 matchesto get 3 Emblems, and one Space PVP mission for 3 matches to get 3 Emblems.

This way, people are more motivated to try both - even if they are not that good at it - as those are 3 more Emblems they can get. It allows people that generally like the concept of PvP and the unique challenges and opportunities to spend a little while longer playing their toon with PvP tasks before they have to worry about lost Emblems...

Mustrum "On a neverending quest to help the type of PvP I don't do - yet" Ridcully
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Sadly, I don't see this doing much except for bringing AFKers to ground PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Well, as have been said any times before, i'd like to be able to spec into both... fully.

The few times i've done ground it's been somewhat fun.. but not when hilbert/fista sistas comes around the corner and oneshot me :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Sadly, I don't see this doing much except for bringing AFKers to ground PVP.
I hate your cynical and bitter attitude.

Especially if it seems not unreasonable at the same time.

I'd still give it a shot. In Ground PvP, it's more difficult to hide at least...

OH, and for the record: My new Klingon Tact will be focused on Ground. Maybe she'll be a real grown up after the next Q-Boost event.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
for the record: My new Klingon Tact will be focused on Ground. Maybe she'll be a real grown up after the next Q-Boost event.
Dammit! Not another person to oneshot me when era drags me into ground!
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-22-2011, 02:03 AM
I've been fully in support of seperate ground and space pvp dailies.
since season 2. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...11#post2964511

If the changes to ground combat are a hit (*fingers crossed*), this may yet come to pass.
/signed, and ty for your support mister whose name i cannot pronounce yet
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-22-2011, 02:07 AM
lol ground.

Hey, someone has to do it
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Why I don't ground PvP is mainly because of two things: when I was leveling up, the ground PvP was a horrible experience; and the only reason I have any skill points in ground abilities is so that I stand a half decent chance in PvE ground missions and STFs.

When I was leveling up, the ground PvPs consisted of beaming in and waiting forever for the other side to show up, then it was usually unbalanced - I assume this has been fixed/changed. The other problem was that the strategy used by most players was to run until they found someone to shoot. Forget teamwork.

Until the skill trees are split, I probably won't ground PvP, even with the new ground combat mechanics. I already resent putting any skill points there to the detriment of my space PvP build. A few emblems won't change my mind.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
There are several reasons Ground PvP is not very succesful and the Queues are very slow, but I think one immediate thing to do to improve Ground population would be to change the existing PvP (EmbleM) quests so Space and Ground PvP are seperated.

At endgame, for example: You have one Ground PvP mission for 3 matchesto get 3 Emblems, and one Space PVP mission for 3 matches to get 3 Emblems.
I support that suggestion.

One of the reasons ground was more active in the early days compared to now was that there were only very few quests how to get mark's and 2 of 3 of those quests were PvP based, so PvP was kinda popular to get gear.

And althought i always hated when someone said in a pvp game "come kill me quick guys, im just here for my marks.. i even take my shields off" it keept at least the waiting time between games reasonable.. better to have 20 games with 8 real bad ones then 5 a day with hours of waiting between, not everyone even has the time to wait hours for a game.

Emblems are almost to common those days to be good enough as motivation though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Until the skill trees are split, I probably won't ground PvP, even with the new ground combat mechanics. I already resent putting any skill points there to the detriment of my space PvP build. A few emblems won't change my mind.
If i can make toons that work well in space & ground PvP, you can too.. my engineer is even spec'ed in 3 kits for ground, and still works very well in space pvp.

For a spacer splitting pools seems like a good thing, since you may not notice the difference on ground... but splitting pools will reduce diversity on ground.

Right now you can spec fully into ground - which different to space isn't making you more powerful in a combat situation but adds versatility to use more kits.. now if points are split we will of course end up in a situation were having all skill (or close to all) wont be possible anymore.

As example.. i like to have martial arts on my tac, its nice for the occasional chance to meet another tac for some meleeing, its fun and i like it.. but its not the most efficient way to kill something quick - and neither should it be.. not every skill/weapon/kit needs to kill equally quick or must be totally geared for PvP - i actually enjoy a slower killing pace at times.

But when it comes to having limited choices what to skill into, every serious PvP'er will of course pick the stuff necessary to kill as quick as possible, so splitting pools will just make more people running around with the same specs and remove diversity of the battlefield and make fun weapons/skills even less used then before.

I'd rather prefer a solution that requires everyone to spec in AT LEAST one kit on ground, but doesn't keep people from going for more ground if they desire. The points needed to spec into one kit could even be added on top of the cap to avoid spacers lose anything. This way everyone would have at least some ground skill but full versatility and diversity would still exist on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-23-2011, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiy
I support that suggestion.
Right now you can spec fully into ground - which different to space isn't making you more powerful in a combat situation but adds versatility to use more kits.. now if points are split we will of course end up in a situation were having all skill (or close to all) wont be possible anymore.
well, if i want to change my ship or bo layout i have to respec. i don't see any reason why you shouldn't do that if you want to use another kit.