Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I agree with the sentiments of this post - the more there is to encourage Ground PvP the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
When I was leveling up, the ground PvPs consisted of beaming in and waiting forever for the other side to show up, then it was usually unbalanced - I assume this has been fixed/changed. The other problem was that the strategy used by most players was to run until they found someone to shoot. Forget teamwork.
The queues are indeed better - matches are even and everyone gets there at the same time (depending on their computer speed - and assuming no one leaves the match). As far as teamwork goes, most matches I'm in have some semblance of teamwork, at least at the beginning. When one team starts stomping, and runs around picking off the other team one at a time, though, teamwork tends not to do so much.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Ramone
well, if i want to change my ship or bo layout i have to respec. i don't see any reason why you shouldn't do that if you want to use another kit.
Whats the point of having a KIT item then over picking a subclass as part of the spec system ?

If you compare STO ground to other mmorps where you pick your class as part of your spec, STO clearly is designed in a way to encourage people to adapt to the situation they are facing by having 2-4 kits with em.

Besides your comparison is quite bad.. changing a ship can change your role in space completely (like dps to healer/tank) while the player class itself isn't as important for the role in space, its just some sort of flavor there.

On ground the KIT is more some sort of subrole, i would compare it to switching out a boff in space... a tac is always a dps class but it can sacrifice a bit of dps for a bit more of support.. a sci will always be a support/secondary tank or cc class and engineers are always the primary tanks regardless of what kit they use on ground.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-23-2011, 08:13 PM
If there was some sort of incentive, maybe more people will take part in ground. I used to do a lot of ground PVP when the game first came out. Now, its very hard to get any ground anymore.

Its very hard to be evenly speced for both without loosing out in something. If they split up the skills from Ground and Space, it may be better.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
There are several reasons Ground PvP is not very succesful and the Queues are very slow, but I think one immediate thing to do to improve Ground population would be to change the existing PvP (EmbleM) quests so Space and Ground PvP are seperated.

At endgame, for example: You have one Ground PvP mission for 3 matchesto get 3 Emblems, and one Space PVP mission for 3 matches to get 3 Emblems.

This way, people are more motivated to try both - even if they are not that good at it - as those are 3 more Emblems they can get. It allows people that generally like the concept of PvP and the unique challenges and opportunities to spend a little while longer playing their toon with PvP tasks before they have to worry about lost Emblems...

Mustrum "On a neverending quest to help the type of PvP I don't do - yet" Ridcully
I honestly could see something like this as a type of combination of Territoral and Open PVP, where you have to go to X and do Y, but you have some people on the opposite team to stop you.

To get credit as an attacker, you need to complete the mission.

To get credit as a defender, you need to either hold off attackers for 15-20 minutes, or every attacker gets killed at least once, or players pull off a counter attack and attack the base and complete that objective.

Best of all since it would be like Open PvP, you can take any route to get to the destination than it is now with a fixed path. So someone could try to clime a cliff, or Rambo the front gates of a base.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiy
On ground the KIT is more some sort of subrole, i would compare it to switching out a boff in space
right. and if i'm not specced into that specific bo skill it's ineffective. or most skills are. same thing with kits.

while the original intention was to encourage ppl to switch roles fast the current skill system don't. just because the skill system was designed without a skill cap. at the end of open beta cryptic said: "oh my, no skill cap is crap, what should we do if we want to increase the level cap. damn!". that's why you can find funny threads like http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=127611. i think that it was stupid to design this system without a skill cap, but unfortunately they did and you can still see some relics of it in the current skill tree (see different weapon damage types in space = fail).

i guess the best way would be a skill tree revamp including a separation of ground and space skills.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Ramone
i guess the best way would be a skill tree revamp including a separation of ground and space skills.
the best way imo would be not to seperate ground and space trees, but to integrate ground and space PvP playstyles.
Unlike segregated deathmatches, an open pvp playstyle would promote having a wider variety of skills rather than minmaxing 1 set.

In pvp where you: warp into system and do space for a while, jockeying for position around key strategic footholds in a system; then beam over to enemy starbases or board enemy ships to cement your foothold, you can see the need to be flexible in your skills.

Not only is this manner of gameplay more engaging and interesting than deathmatches, it's also more viable with the upcoming changes to ground combat.

And think about it, your Big Personal Tray's about full at VA anyways (i cant fit all my abilities on it anyways)

It's plausible that for ranks beyond VA players wouldn't be given more trees/skills/abilities to choose from, but rather just the skill points needed to fill in the gap between space and ground skills for the purpose of participating in an open pvp environment that utilizes both.

But Until then (and it may be a way off) can we PLEASE have seperate ground and space dailies for emblems? the Amount of PvE dailies is absolutely staggering.