Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Questions on the Foundry
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
This thread is just for any questions and answers anyone can come up with. Please post a question or an answer.

With the new foundry tool will we be able to change maps? what i am asking is it possible to start a mission on like a klingon planet for say and then move to a map in the federation in pursuit of an enemy ship?

Also will we be able to write the dialogue for the mission?

It would be also interesting to make puzzles such as the one on dronza station where you had to fix the power system? if so what would those possibilities be?

I would also like to know just for fun could we resurrect Q? (this could be interesting right?)

Can we build a map?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Any player will be unable to use sector space to travel into territory not available to their faction or level.

That said, you can put a portal in or around Qo'nos (or any other klink-avaiable planet) that leads to a space you have built meant to represent ESD or Earth or wherever.

Yes, you write the dialogue for the missions.

From what the devs have said of the foundry, you can do anything to your missions that they have already shown can be done. Puzzles included.

You can make whatever characters you want. Q resurrection is fair game.

Yes, you can build your own maps without relying on the zones as a template if you don't want to.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Got a few questions about the Foundry myself.

My questions mostly deal with the connection between maps, mission objectives, and beam in points .. and they're a bit involved. Though I'd love to hear a dev gives some answers to these.
  • Don't know if it's been said anywhere, but are PvP maps going to be in the first release? Likewise what about cross-faction play (i.e. missions where Feds and KDF team up)? Is that on the "to add" list somewhere?
  • Are all missions usable by everyone or can we specify the mission for certain character types? (e.g. KDF only, Vulcans only, male chars only, tactical class only... or what have you.)
  • How do mission objectives work? For example could I put 8 scannable items on a map but only require 6 of them be scanned to complete the mission?
  • Can a map have more than one beam in point? For example, could I have an NPC that gives me the option of beaming down to the north or south edges of a site. By reading between the lines of the NPC dialog I'll figure out that one will drop me much closer to my mission objective than the other.
  • On the same lines, do you have to have a required mission objective in each and every map or could I have a situation where my mission has two maps but you could conceivably complete all of the mission objects on one map if you're smart about it.
  • Can we set up "tests" like in the Beytan mission? And / or fail conditions like in the diplomatic missions? Or at least set up a condition where an NPC refuses to talk to you even if the mission isn't a failure?

I ask these because by being able to include these things would allow for easy circumvention of most of the scripting, conditional dialog, branching mission requests that I've heard the player base ask after.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard5017
This thread is just for any questions and answers anyone can come up with. Please post a question or an answer.

With the new foundry tool will we be able to change maps? what i am asking is it possible to start a mission on like a klingon planet for say and then move to a map in the federation in pursuit of an enemy ship?
Yes, you can link your own maps in any combination you choose. You can also choose where your map is located in STO's game world, be it from a door on Earth Spacedock or a system in Sector Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard5017
Also will we be able to write the dialogue for the mission?
Yes, you can write dialog for contacts, enemies (the chat-bubble text), and prompts (being hailed, bridge officer conversations, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard5017
It would be also interesting to make puzzles such as the one on dronza station where you had to fix the power system? if so what would those possibilities be?
The options for puzzles are currently somewhat limited - you can give the player concrete objectives ('click this object" or "go to this place on the map") but not "click these objects in this order or fail".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard5017
I would also like to know just for fun could we resurrect Q? (this could be interesting right?)
I am not a lawyer but this is my understanding: You can create a character like Q and he can be called Q, but for legal reasons I believe you cannot actually make a likeness of John de Lancie (the actor who plays Q). When the Foundry is released we will have a EULA documenting what content is and is not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard5017
Can we build a map?
You can currently choose a pre-built environment be it a space, ground, or interior, combine it with a backdrop of your choice (sky, weather, and lighting) and then customize it with planets, buildings, and detail objects as well as enemy groups, contacts, and interactable objects.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm curious about NPC characters. Will we be able to have the player's Bridge Officers appear as NPCs, as they do in First Contact missions? Also, if we are (for example) writing a story about Romulans, will be have access to a Romulan species in the Foundry's character creator, or are they all considered what would be 'alien' in the main account charactor creator and can be customised to any extent?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Don't know if it's been said anywhere, but are PvP maps going to be in the first release? Likewise what about cross-faction play (i.e. missions where Feds and KDF team up)? Is that on the "to add" list somewhere?
PvP and cross-faction play will not be in the first release. It is definitely something we will be looking at for fleshing out the capabilities of the tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Are all missions usable by everyone or can we specify the mission for certain character types? (e.g. KDF only, Vulcans only, male chars only, tactical class only... or what have you.)
You can currently gate entry by faction and by player rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
How do mission objectives work? For example could I put 8 scannable items on a map but only require 6 of them be scanned to complete the mission?
You can make a "scan 8 items" objective but not a "scan 6 of 8 items" one yet. That will be on our list of improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Can a map have more than one beam in point? For example, could I have an NPC that gives me the option of beaming down to the north or south edges of a site. By reading between the lines of the NPC dialog I'll figure out that one will drop me much closer to my mission objective than the other.
We chose not to include this feature for now so we could focus on making an intuitive user interface, and it is easier to specify the beam in point in the mission tree where the transition actually happens than to have a list of them somewhere. We will reconsider this feature as an Advanced Mode feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
On the same lines, do you have to have a required mission objective in each and every map or could I have a situation where my mission has two maps but you could conceivably complete all of the mission objects on one map if you're smart about it.
You have to have an objective on every map the user could visit - the user cannot go to a map that he or she doesn't have an objective on. However you can have an objective that is essentially "reach this map" and completes when the player arrives. You cannot have a single objective that spans multiple maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
Can we set up "tests" like in the Beytan mission? And / or fail conditions like in the diplomatic missions? Or at least set up a condition where an NPC refuses to talk to you even if the mission isn't a failure?
There are no failure conditions for objectives, nor are there branches in NPC dialogue that depend on previous events. The former is not on our horizon, but the latter will probably be in a later release.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Can this sytem also be used to create more starship interior (rooms) or remodel the existing areas?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Is it possible to have two factions working together (Lets say Romulans and Cardassians) against the player?

Also can you have the enemy use a federation ship, for a captured ship plot?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Here's one: Can we set missions on our own ship interior, or pick one of the ship interiors and have it be "ours"? I can understand blocking off the ready room, but maybe the bridge loads with your current boffs?

This is probably a programming nightmare but I'm curious nonetheless.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Will we be able to utilise demorecord in testing our works in progress so we can better craft machinima to what we want without creating a crappy mission that isn't actually designed for playing?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 AM.