Lt. Commander
# 41
05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions on areas that could be improved?
im useless at providing feedback on stories. unless there is a glaring problem i never know what to suggest. if something springs to mind ill let you know.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I have made a second one for my starfleet captain.

I hope to turn the starfleet one into a continuing story. That could be incredibly difficult as I have no idea what each topic will be about, but I hope to paint a story with him if I can bend the topics to fit, as I think you might start to gather from my latest piece.

Post #21 for anyone interested.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Revo: You may always post "random lits" in 10 Forward. This is what this sub-forum was originally made for.

*Edith: The Challenges are for fellow posters who'd like to write but need a bit of a guiding hand. Besides: If others are doing it, it is easier to also do it. There is strength in numbers and all that!
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Revo: You may always post "random lits" in 10 Forward. This is what this sub-forum was originally made for.
that would be too easy.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
I have made a second one for my starfleet captain.

I hope to turn the starfleet one into a continuing story. That could be incredibly difficult as I have no idea what each topic will be about
That sounds like an interesting challenge, I will be interested to see how it turns out! I posted my story a while back, it was a little long as I tried to explain how the events shown in STO that my captain went through while leveling had an impact on his career.

I also attempted to explain the seemly quick promotion path and how my captain went through so many ships on his pathway to VA.

Enjoy...
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I've posted up a brief effort based on the early moments of my character's first command, although I've taken a few liberties with in-game events.

It's facinating seeing how everyone approaches these challenges.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

Just posted a second story for another character. Hope you like it.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a voice for this particular character. If you look at the blogs I've linked to below, you'll see that I've added to hers the least frequently (though admittedly I haven't posted new material at a reasonable rate to any of them lately because of work, etc.).

So, thanks for the opportunity to work on getting her right here. I've also found a lot of inspiration in many of your (pl.) stories, so thanks to all the authors.

Ah well, back to the grindstone.
Lt. Commander
# 48 Concerning time constraints
06-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Entry #3 (1st for this challenge, 2nd for this character, 3rd overall)
The Royal I

Droid has now spent some time in recovery, though he can't remember much; he has been pouring over his personal logs & records to no avail. Some things seem familiar, his friendship with Beverly for example, & certain actions come naturally to him, like riding a bicycle.

When I read that the old thread would be left open an extra week, I thought that would mean that the second challenge wouldnít open during that week. I guess I should have checked in. Anyways, I really liked the prompt but only having one week to think about it I didnít start until tonight, quite at the last minute. I hope my story doesnít seem too rushed, I did spend well over 4 hours on it, about the norm for my pieces but there is more dialogue to the first scene which is easier to edit than the narrative itself IMHO. There is much editing I might like to do but for now it is acceptable enough {to me} to be immortalized when the thread closes. From here on I will check at least once per week to be certain.

Please do enjoy, I wanted to include a back story on each of my senior staff so that their interactions with the new crews would make sense. You have to know where your characters are coming from to know where theyíre going, (unless they have amnesia, which can be a history on its own) otherwise it becomes a mystery. I wasn't in the mood to do a mystery piece with this since I have it all so clearly in my mind the exact origins of every character on my ship.

I really didnít have the time I expected to go where I wanted to with this, having only really touched base with the actual prompt near the end, but I am glad that I got done in time to expand further upon my main character & even include a tidbit about the first officer. Some places technical details may not add up since I didn't have time to do research so it's kind of just a "go with it/on the fly" scenario, though being well versed in most details about the ST universe I think they make enough sense to be possible, or one of those circumstances where we often find that the impossible is possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
I hope to turn the starfleet one into a continuing story. That could be incredibly difficult as I have no idea what each topic will be about
That is a great premise, & that's why I am trying to get at least 1 story out for my main before doing any others. It's almost like a blind date, except it's the story of your captain meeting each of the chapters by surprise! It will be an interesting challenge indeed.

If I decide to write up the additions regardless Iíll post them here, in the next event or in the latecomers thread, along with another story about a different officer that I also wanted to use for this prompt but Droid takes priority. Droid is the muse for all my other fan fiction, because I identify with him the most.

*Also, I know itís not in an artists best interest to point out their own flaws for other people to take notice, but since I may not have had time to go back & fix them all I should note that part of the way through the second half of the story when Droid is recalling the events with VíBuni, he has to tell the story in his log from the third person, & there are parts when it wraps up that may have I forgotten go back to him talking in the first person. Just thought I'd stop somebody before they find any mistakes like that if any are left. Thanks for your understanding, Iím sure youíll get it right in your mind!

Until next time,
-DrD

Droids personnel file

The senior officerís stories I didnít have time to write about this time around:
Linkuzo - Combat Engineer
Albartleby - Chief Engineer
Delbra - Chief Medical Officer
*Sielli - Counselor, specializes in Veteran affairs
(*Temporarily discharged by request of her husband Albartleby so she won't have to be on the front lines, she took dispute with this but we could not afford the distractions it had brought aboard, so she eventually agreed that it was in everyone's best interests. Of course she made me promise not to get him killed. I've broken that promise a couple times, but I've always managed to bring him back!)
Throya - Xenophobic Amphibuan, expert analyst
Sid - Outcast Ferengi Merchant
Nirol - Experimental Holographic Lifeform
Natalshia - Mirror defector/MACO Chief Military Strategist
Carpe - Mirror defector/MACO Tactical Soldier
Diem -Mirror defector/MACO Science soldier
Mug - Gorn diplomacy interests exchange defector
Jezz - Breen diplomacy interests exchange defector
Tumarix - Reman diplomacy interests exchange defector
Lt. Commander
# 49 Concerning technical details
06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
P.S. A request to the DEV's, there has been a glitch in STO since day one where we can't read the biography on some other players bridge officers. Can you please fix this (without erasing the biographies that are already there, just in case ?

Also, when we are looking on the captains database, can you add a function to view the bridge officer bio's & profile pictures in addition to your captain?

Finally, on the captain's database, it would be prudent to separate the captain's logs automatically created by the game & have a separate tab for the captain's logs created by the player, for improved storytelling features.

I started recording a captain's log early on but once they kept getting lost among all the computers auto-logs I gave up on this awesome feature

I was gonna use some of those for my ask cryptic question but I wanted to keep that as short as possible.

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
-DrD
Closed Thread