Lt. Commander
# 31
05-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
If I sit in aux the whole time, I gain absolutely nothing until I use an aux-based power. .
some peoples limited understanind of the game mechanics are firghtening. infact high aux grants you this, in addition to readiness to fire any of several clutch skills at max efficacy..

sensor range/cloak detection:

at high aux youll find a significant boost to cloak detection ability, and sensor RANGE in general (youll see the mes sooner, the runner longer as he departs

hull repair rate: sitting at max aux is rthe exact thing to do concerning innate hull repair rate multiplier. high aux is heal mode, naturally

*high aux effects CARRIERS. carriers that would now suddenly be actually subject to a penalty would find their hangars refreshing less frequently. those carriers who healed/sci spammed would find their spam lesss effective

at any rate. i hope us learned pvpers can look reaosnably at the game and realize the true imbalances that exist.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Monster View Post
It's much simpler and sensible to just do away with weapon power drain.

An energy weapon's "rest" period should represent it's power recharge time. Warp cores should have plenty of juice to allow all of the ship's weapons to fire at 100% output. Do you think that the Defiant's forward cannons fired at different intensity from each other? NO! That would be shoddy engineering to equip a ship with a power source that couldn't fire weapons at 100% designed output. :p

Engine power doesn't drain when you move, shield power doesn't drop when they're on or when you take a hit (yes health does of course), and aux doesn't budge when you fire off umpteen sci powers. So weapon power should get equal treatment! Stand up for Weapon Power rights today! :p

Healing is OP! We need Moar Pew Pew!
wow, you honestly want to dumb down the game further. anyone who ever played sfc3 or any actually good trek game knows power management was crucial and most relevant to victory. for shame.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am not sure how this is fair. Do weapons have 45+ seconds before they can fire again?

Maybe if all Science Powers just had an on-/off switch. I want to Tractor you? I activate Tractor Beam and keep you tractored as long as I want - with a penalty to my Auxillary Power, so if I felt more like healing, it might be better to swtich the Tractor Beam off before I activate Transfer Shield Strength. Or I could have both on Plus perhaps activating the Tachyon Beam to add to my DPS? With some more drain, of course.
the weapons firing cycle is irrelevant.what you need to look at sir is the window cycle time and what kind of situational momentary spike differences.

i agree, science duration powers should indeed have an off. as a brel user ive reported the bug where tractor keeps u decloaked for its duration even if the enemy ship has left 5km range

The point is, you can only fire subsequent 2 beam overloads or 2 high yields in a row at max every 30 seconds. The point is, you must have hgh energy weapons to gain maximal effect from the "burst moment". And the more energy weapons u add to the mix, the less you can do at that key moment.

And looking at the torpedo delivery moment falls into the same window, tractor beam refreshes at 30s and the global for cpb3 and psw is also 30s. We are dealing with a game that happens with crucial occurences every 30seconds or so.

The imbalance is that for that moment i (and other sppikers) must integrally manage my powers to gain a maximum effect, where a science heavy ship can do both offensive and defensive science powers along with the many many powers that already have no dependance on aux to function. (team skills, shield heals, emergency power)

the only reason if any i would gain from this change is that i naturally use all of my aux dependant sci skills for offense, as there is no room in my build for healing or scramble, i only gain fromcontinuing to have max aux power after "sci spamming"
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-22-2011, 10:59 AM
EmoeJoe:

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, on a high (strategic) level. I see a lot of low (tactical) level details, but these details are just obscuring or confusing the issue.

What is the perceived high-level impact, and why is this impact occurring?

Are you saying that the problem is that aux-users can use weapons with the same effect as non-aux-users?

Or are you saying that aux-based powers can stack more quickly/effectively than weapons-based powers and effects?
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
are you saying that aux-based powers can stack more quickly/effectively than weapons-based powers and effects?
^this is what im saying
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoeJoe
the weapons firing cycle is irrelevant.what you need to look at sir is the window cycle time and what kind of situational momentary spike differences.

i agree, science duration powers should indeed have an off. as a brel user ive reported the bug where tractor keeps u decloaked for its duration even if the enemy ship has left 5km range

The point is, you can only fire subsequent 2 beam overloads or 2 high yields in a row at max every 30 seconds. The point is, you must have hgh energy weapons to gain maximal effect from the "burst moment". And the more energy weapons u add to the mix, the less you can do at that key moment.

And looking at the torpedo delivery moment falls into the same window, tractor beam refreshes at 30s and the global for cpb3 and psw is also 30s. We are dealing with a game that happens with crucial occurences every 30seconds or so.

The imbalance is that for that moment i (and other sppikers) must integrally manage my powers to gain a maximum effect, where a science heavy ship can do both offensive and defensive science powers along with the many many powers that already have no dependance on aux to function. (team skills, shield heals, emergency power)

the only reason if any i would gain from this change is that i naturally use all of my aux dependant sci skills for offense, as there is no room in my build for healing or scramble, i only gain fromcontinuing to have max aux power after "sci spamming"
Tbo, I belive you're cherry picking. Torpedo damage isn't dependent on energy level, CRF/CSV/FAW don't have near the drain BO has. BO can be follow by (EPtW or Weapons BATT) + CRF + HYT. Also, you haven't addressed the apples to oranges comparison brought up in post 11 by myself and touched on by others in their posts.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...3&postcount=11

I wouldn't be against the concept if you'd have a more earnest dialog about what goes into maxing out a Sci skill build vs a Weapons build. I say this as someone who mainly plays a BoP Sci Captain. It is much easier for me to build both in SP, Boffs, ship items and ship energy systems a layout for an effective spiking weapons DPS than to min/max an effective Sci skill layout (where the Sci skils are priamary and not support skills to my overall build).
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-22-2011, 11:19 AM
torpedoes cant launch if weapon energy is 0 (this can happen)

i simply propose that alternatively auxillary based science skills should suffer the same fat after the ships uses a series of aux dependant skills.
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
torpedoes cant launch if weapon energy is 0 (this can happen)

i simply propose that alternatively auxillary based science skills should suffer the same fat after the ships uses a series of aux dependant skills.
They only way weapon engery is 0 is multiple people target your ship's weapons system or you're a complete moron (not you specifically but generically) and don't wait for your weapons to charge after coming out of full impulse.

Why should two totally different systems with different functionalities and different costs suffer the same engery drain costs?

(BTW it was really hard not to make a fat joke. )
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Minimaps: I like ur idea of fluctuating aux powers as sci skills are used. Sincerely, theClaw
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
are you saying that aux-based powers can stack more quickly/effectively than weapons-based powers and effects?
Quote:
^this is what im saying
Why is this an issue? Is this making those aux-users unkillable, all the time? Or only some of the time?

Do you have any logs or data to verify?