Lt. Commander
This is some side project in collaboration with two friends I have been starting to work on.
Since we have RP Fleets on both sides, I thought of a way for them to work together as a team on missions with our own settings. Also, it should involve more than 5 players.

The solution came to me when I watched Return of the Jedi again the other day. Split them into teams, working towards the same goal, but dependant on each other! This requires some RP of course, but I assure you, the first few tests were great fun.

So, basically you do not create one big mission, you create three (or more). They can be done by different authors, obviously, so it might save the individual author a lot of time through collaboration.

Create a chat channel, so the different teams have a way of communication or of course use Ventrilo or Teamspeak, if you have a server. (with the use of relatively cheap voice morphing programs you can even have the players sound more like their characters... Morph Vox Pro is a cheap example.).

I'm sure you get my meaning, but lets explain via the Return of the Jedi example:
1. There is the guys on Endor, trying to shut down that shield generator. (Mission 1)
2. There is the guys in Space, trying to ... well, mostly stay alive I guess, until team one has secured, e.g. an access code. (You could make a complicated riddle here with triggers to prevent them from going on too soon or you have good players that just WAIT! till they get notice from team 1)
3. You have the guys on the death star, who got into an unnerving discussion with grudgy ole Palpatine. (This could be an escape mission)

The beauty is: All three missions would be "valid" missions on their own, but this is a way to create events, collaborate and create real dynamic missions, that could even include a kind of "Moderator/Gamesmaster" via the chat or the TS.

What do you think about my idea?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I think that if done well this would be a great idea!

You would of course have to put a big bold "This mission is designed for a full team AND another team must also simultaneously play ST-HIEBHJIBL in order for you to finish this mission" right on the mission's front page.

I think the access codes are a great idea. The space team gets to orbit, or perhaps fights their way there, then they get code 85739. They tell the ground team, which then uses this code to authorize the transporter chief to beam them down to the planet.

The ground team could then find information that would allow the space team to find their next target. You'd have to be very careful to give them something to do while they're waiting for the other team to get the code though.

And it wouldn't necessarily have to be a numeric code, it could also be data like "the small moon", "the Halfnar system", "the northwest room" or "the red glass."

Excellent idea!
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Genius, 'nuff said!

Ok, saying a bit more... Hope you don't mind but I put a link up on Starbase UGC. It's too awesome an idea to hide on the forums!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
We need raid frames and multiple teams - then branching objectives to simultaneously accomplish objectives on separate maps.

Add in timers and you'd have full-on instances.

I just wish Cryptic had to resources to it in a reasonable amount of time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Genius, 'nuff said!

Ok, saying a bit more... Hope you don't mind but I put a link up on Starbase UGC. It's too awesome an idea to hide on the forums!
Of course not... I'm a silent member of StarbaseUGC myself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
We need raid frames and multiple teams - then branching objectives to simultaneously accomplish objectives on separate maps.

Add in timers and you'd have full-on instances.

I just wish Cryptic had to resources to it in a reasonable amount of time.
I agree, that would be a dream. Hell, I'd give my... old keyboard... for timers alone.

With the Foundry as-is, though, I think we could create some good team work style missions.

Quote:
You would of course have to put a big bold "This mission is designed for a full team AND another team must also simultaneously play ST-HIEBHJIBL in order for you to finish this mission" right on the mission's front page.
Personally, I would put a text that said: "You will enjoy this mission fully only if..." etc

A slight rephrase. Otherwise I agree...

The reason being: At least in my experience, creative thoughts on this forum always attract certain... elements... in the player base, that think they are the Foundry police and they think anything more complicated than a patrol mission should be impossible.

So, all of the missions should technically be completable as stand-alones, but the fun factor should only apply if you play them together. (e.g. how much fun is it to iterate through a 3 number code and guess number, or guess the right target when the false ones send you to oblivion, etc.)

After all, you can only enjoy Shakespeare if you read him in original Klingon, too.