Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Tips & Tricks for the HUD
05-21-2011, 08:47 AM
There are a lot o f complains about the targeting in this game. This thread is about trying to improve the targeting and improve your situational awareness within the limits of the UI. It doesn't excuse Cryptic from improvements, but it might help you a little:

If people have additional suggestions or comments, they should post so here.

Where to change your Settings
The HUD can be configured via the Options Menu in the HUD section.

In this section, you find some general settings, the Astrometics Setting, and finally the thing I want to talk about here.
You find sections on Enemy Non-Player Characters, Friendly Non-Player Characters, Friends, Fleet, Team Members, Your officers, Other Players, Enemy Players and Yourself.

Improving Situational Awareness
There is a little thing you can do to improve your awareness of your surroundings.
Show Enemy Life
The normal setting has a checkmark only on "Targeted". I would recommend setting it to "Targeted" and "Recently Damaged", at least for the groups: Friends, Fleet, Team Members, Enemy Players, Other Players. This way you can always keep track of your allies health, allowing you to see who is taking a beating and needs help, and follow which enemies are suffering damage and might be particularly vulnerable to a damage spike.

Dealing with Spam
There is also a little thing you can do to deal somewhat better with spam

Show NPC Name
Either turn it off entirely or to when targeted only for:
Friendly Non-Player Characters, Enemy Non-Player Characters. (There is no group for fighters or mines unfortunately, just for the NPCs.)

Show Targeting Reticule
Consider turning this off entirely for Non-Player Characters.
You might want to have it so you at least see some potentially dangerous mines or pets, so use this with care.

---

Keep in mind that this doesn't change anything about tab targeting or clicking on targets. You still need to be vigilant on this. But at least you can see more clearly where the actual enemies are, and keep better track of enemy and friends health.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Been testing HUD settings to improve targeting while under heavy mine/pets spam.

While a cruiser/sci vessel can just ignore mines and happily target only human players, an ESCORT cannot afford to ignore mines, especially chronitons. If you blindly run into a UI-invisible minefield with escorts, you are doomed.

Especially a cloaked Defiant-R (or worse, a BoP) can't affort to ram into unseen mines, suffer direct hull damage, get decloacked and possibly reduced to a crawl by that stupid chroniton proc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Thy View Post
Especially a cloaked Defiant-R (or worse, a BoP) can't affort to ram into unseen mines, suffer direct hull damage, get decloacked and possibly reduced to a crawl by that stupid chroniton proc.
I lol'd just thinking of the rage people must get from that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Good idea, MustrumRidcully.

If people find this useful, then please let me know and I can add them to the Basic Space PvP sticky.

Ideally, post your suggestions to that sticky thread, so that I don't forget.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Heres something I did, and I suggest you try it out. It might take a little while to get used to, and if you have bad eyesight it might not work for you:

Reduce UI scale. I have it set to .80. 1.00 is way too big. You can get to this just by pressing Esc, going to options, and it'll be on the first tab that is open. A huge amount of space is taken up by the UI at 1.00 scale, and even taking it down to 0.80 is a huge reduction in wasted space. Going back to 1.00 now just makes it look GOOFY large. You can go even smaller if you want. I don't due to bad eyesight.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassenmord
Reduce UI scale.
Brilliant! Just started a new character, giving it a try, and so far, that is a stupendous idea!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassenmord
Heres something I did, and I suggest you try it out. It might take a little while to get used to, and if you have bad eyesight it might not work for you:

Reduce UI scale. I have it set to .80. 1.00 is way too big. You can get to this just by pressing Esc, going to options, and it'll be on the first tab that is open. A huge amount of space is taken up by the UI at 1.00 scale, and even taking it down to 0.80 is a huge reduction in wasted space. Going back to 1.00 now just makes it look GOOFY large. You can go even smaller if you want. I don't due to bad eyesight.
heh, I actually had to increase my UI ABOVE 1.00 after getting a new rig and monitor... The increased resolution made the UI so tiny I was barely able to hit the correct button ever...

Increasing UI also makes it easier to identify the buffs/debuffs on your target... reducing UI makes it virtually impossible to identify the buffs...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
heh, I actually had to increase my UI ABOVE 1.00 after getting a new rig and monitor... The increased resolution made the UI so tiny I was barely able to hit the correct button ever...

Increasing UI also makes it easier to identify the buffs/debuffs on your target... reducing UI makes it virtually impossible to identify the buffs...


I think the point here is that if you make it as small as you can than you have more space to veiw the battle directly.

Along the same line panning back (zoom out) might be a good idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitron72003 View Post
I think the point here is that if you make it as small as you can than you have more space to veiw the battle directly.
I'd never see that as an advantage, if you loose the ability to see the buffs on your enemys ship... :/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
I'd never see that as an advantage, if you loose the ability to see the buffs on your enemys ship... :/
At 0.80 scaled interface I have no issue seeing enemy buffs. Only time I turn it up is when playing on my 40 inch TV, and then I just go to 1.00. You should probably get your eyes checked if you have issues seeing your UI at 1.00 regardless of your resolution, and I mean that in a completely non-offensive way; I have bad eyesight and .80 works fine for me.

I may also just be more used to it. I scaled UI down to 0.80 within the first 5 minutes of playing the game, so I've been using the smaller UI since months before I made this account.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39 PM.