Captain
# 1 Feel like a Complete Noob
06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm a experienced player and played since FTP and I'm Lvl 50 but have only started doing STF's I have done Cure Ground Twice on Normal. Infected and Cure Space on Normal and Infected Space on Elite. Just done Infected Ground Elite. Maybe should have tried it on Normal first but I thought it was cure at the time. Played as PUG now the team was good a couple of MACOs and Gorn and throughout the STF I kept dying and when we got the the generators I was dying every second. (Kept falling into the Plasma or getting shot by the borg. So I tried to Respawn However got stuck with one of the Macos behind the forcefield so eventually had to take the one hour ban and leave the STF.

So I officially Suck at Ground STF's on Elite. Space battles I'm good at and currently outfitting my ship with the Borg Kit

So just so I can do Elite in future and not continue to injure my character and get better what is the best setup of armor and weapory for a beginner to do STF's

My Character is a Science Officer with the following Equipment

Rare Personal Shield Mk XI [Cap]x2
Rare Energy Dampening Armor Mk XI [HP][RegHP]
Very Rare Science Kit Medic Mk X
Primary Weapon: Plasma High Density Beam Rifle [CrtH][Dmg]x2
Secondary Weapon: Disruptor Full Auto Rifle Mk XI [CritD]x2 [KB3]

Any help with my setup will be great as I really wnt to get the MACO equipment quickly so I can be better at them
Thanks and if anyone from that STF is reading sorry for being such a Noob
Commander
# 2
06-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I suggest, before doing Ground Elites again, first farm yourself a full Maco/Omega Ground Set for the Bonusses (to work you need all X or all XI). They help a lot.
They can be farmed in Space pretty fast via EDCs.

Especially for ISE you should search up "Infected Jump" on the Foundry to learn the jumps on the final plattform (they are not hard to execute, you only need to learn the right spots).

Finally, check up the Sticky about STFs and Tactics, will help you not being a "noob" again
Lieutenant
# 3
06-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Before playing elites i would say start with normals first, not only to learn how to do the stfs, but for getting a maco or omega set mkx or mkxi. The reason is that you get a instant remodulation and real antiborg-weapons.
Next advice is to play more space-stf for the rare or very rare salvages to buy at least one mkxi or mkxii groundweapon (f.e. pulsewave), because of the [borg]-modifier. Oh and try to get a armor, which gives you plasma-resistance.

Last advice: start with ka first, on ground it's easy and most of the people playing it are used to have new players with them (because of the borg-science boff).

"What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial or shall I execute him?" - Worf
Captain
# 4
06-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Agreed with the above, get yourself a MkX STF ground set before you try the Elites.

Ideally, you'll want a Rifle for distance shots/pulling and a Pulsewave for general DPS. These should be different Energy Types since the Borg will take only adapt to one energy type at a time, meaning you'll not have to remodulate as often.

My own Sci keeps a Bat'leth in his inventory for tanking Armek, but it's more for show: realistically you can do just as well by closing to melee range and using a Rifle.

Assuming you're a Federation rather than Klingon Sci officer; the MACO set may be your best bet since it comes with a rifle and the 2-piece set bonus is a very good Self Shield heal (to complement all your Tricorder heals). The Omega set's 3-piece bonus "Team Ambush Field" can be a very powerful survivability buff when stacked by more than one teammate though; so it's up to you which set (MACO/Omega) you go for. The main thing you'll want them for, despite the other bonuses, is the 3-piece Instant Remodulator power.

I have to say though, I find that the Klingon Honor Guard set is much better than MACO. The Mk XII Honor Guard Pulsewave is probably the best STF weapon in the game, and the Adrenal Booster is a free Hypo (without the shared cooldown) every 30 seconds which can save your hide quite often. Sadly the 3-piece set bonus is still kind of junk compared to the one from the OMEGA set.

Also, I noticed you mentioned a Medic kit - you'll be better with an Analyst Kit or Physicist Kit for everything other than Tanking Armek. The Physicist Kit comes with good raw damage. The Analyst Kit comes with a VERY good AoE shield drain that works wonders against Elite Tac Drones, along with a small AoE team heal (generally sufficient given that everyone is packing Hypos) and some other toys.

Concerning Devices, once you get your STF set you can get away with just a set of Shields and Hypos. Personally I usually run with a stack of Large Hypos, a stack of Large Shield Heals, a Combat Pet (e.g. Horta) and one free slot (used for either a Crossfire/Borg Tribble or a Gambling Device to buff up, then a stack of Immunosupport Nanite Injectors for defending against Nanites). You can buy the Large Hypos/Shields on the cheap from the Device Vendor on DS9, and if you run out then it'll automatically load any spares that are in your inventory (so it pays to bring a spare stack of each in your bag "just in case").

Before you get the STF set's remodulator you should ALWAYS bring a remodulator device along. Some people still argue for bringing one even with the STF set... but personally I find that if you have weapons with two different damage types, it's more than enough to get you through.

Finally, bring lots of Regenerators. You can get away with only bringing a few Critical Regenerators, but you should have at least one full stack of Minor and Majors with you. You can buy these from a lot of NPCs, the one I use is normally the Device Vendor on DS9. Ideally once you gain experience you won't be dying very regularly, but whenever you DO die you want to be able to get rid of injuries before they all stack up and start really affecting your performance. Do NOT be the guy on the STF who ends up fighting the final boss with 30 or more injury icons flashing under your name.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
Commander
# 5
06-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwy5 View Post
Some people still argue for bringing one even with the STF set... but personally I find that if you have weapons with two different damage types, it's more than enough to get you through.
Those people also forget the device takes time to use, time you can't do anything at all (except walking around), you do no damage, can't heal others etc.
It's better to stay on your current weapon (with the borg procc you still do 1+15 damage) if both got adapted, and wait for the CD to finish, then remodulate instantly and continue.
(Such a situation hardly occurs anyway).
Commander
# 6
06-27-2012, 03:15 AM
I've done Elites without an STF set no problem, and I'm sure a lot of people with multiple characters have done the same. They certainly don't make a bad player into a good one, and lack of one won't make a good player into a bad one.
That said the Integral Remod from a complete set is the best thing to have in STFs, the stats are more or less the best out there, the 2-piece bonuses aren't bad either. So you should work on getting one, probably the MACO set. It will help you. But don't feel that you absolutely can't do Elite STFs without one, or that just because you have one, you can.

Whilst you're working on getting a set, see can you get a personal shield with a plasma resist (denoted as [pla]), since the Borg use plasma weapons. Resists in this game are really good. A shield with [cap][pla] will be more use against the Borg than one with [cap]x2, imo. I think you can get armour with energy resists as well, but I honestly can't be sure offhand.

I'd second what maelwy said about weapons. A sniper and pulsewave covers you for every eventuality. Although there's nothing really wrong with the HD rifle. I'm not keen on automatic/burst fire weapons for STFs in this game. I know the Devs changed it so the Borg can't instantly adapt to them anymore, but it definitely feels like they adapt to auto weapons faster than they can to single shot ones. You have the right idea by having to different energy types, make sure you keep doing that.

Kit-wise, Medic's not terrible, but I think they indirectly nerfed healing a while back when they tweaked the ground combat. I found that these days, I'm using half my heals to keep myself alive, so I stopped using it. If you want to keep healing, try and find a Borg Medical Analyser Kit because it's got 3 heals and the powerful, shield stripping, Tachyon Harmonic. (Just switch back to the pure Medic Kit if you're tanking Armek, cos it has Triage which is a handy resist). I'm quite fond of Analyst, myself, since you get the Tachyon Harmonic, a knockback, an AoE heal & resist, and a CC ability out of it, but that's a case a preference. Physicist is quite good for the damage, but it will set the entire mob of Borg on you.

Finally, make sure you have a big stack of Large Hypos and Large Shield Charges equipped (a stack of 20 of each equipped, and another 20 of each in your inventory) and that you have an ample supply of regens in your inventory. You have to check yourself for injuries every time you die in an Elite and heal them. I dunno if you had the regens with you for your Infected run, but if you didn't, you probably racked up a lot of injuries which meant you'd died more and more easily as the mission progressed. If you got the Ophidian Cane from the recent FE replay, bring that with you too, aside from giving you a quick bit of health, you can hold several drones with it.

Enough info overload for you? :biggrin:

Last edited by skhc; 06-27-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Lieutenant
# 7
06-27-2012, 03:38 AM
Wow, thats a decent guide here.

Quote:
I'm not keen on automatic/burst fire weapons for STFs in this game. I know the Devs changed it so the Borg can't instantly adapt to them anymore, but it definitely feels like they adapt to auto weapons faster than they can to single shot ones.
Yes, I think the Borg adapt after a specific number of shots. Therefore the Borg will adapt to an auto-rifle much faster then a single shooting weapon. It would be logic to use high-damage one-shot weapons for a stf like the pulsewave (and yes the honor-guard is the best) and the sniper rifle (especially because of the secondary mode). You just have to be sure to get as close as possible with the pulsewave, which should be no problem as a science officer.

And don't hesitate to ask your teammates. Yes there are some trolls out there, but most of the players are very helpful (I think more as in space stf).

I would be happy to kick some Borg butt with you soon. :biggrin:

"What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial or shall I execute him?" - Worf
Commander
# 8
06-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Potentially unclear ramble about game-mechanics inbound, feel free to ignore:

Quote:
Yes, I think the Borg adapt after a specific number of shots. Therefore the Borg will adapt to an auto-rifle much faster then a single shooting weapon.
My recollection of the Dev's thread on it was that the Borg adapt (to a specific energy type from a specific player) once they recieve 4 "adaption counters" (for that energy type for that player) which they have a 75% chance of recieving whenever they're shot. So you get at least 4 shots off with a single shot weapon, and quite often 5 or 6. Sometimes you can be lucky and get even more than that.

The issue with autos was that the Borg rolled for adaption counters on a per hit basis, and miniguns, dual pistols, full autos etc. all rack up 3-4 hits per primary fire activation, whilst only doing about the same damage in those 3-4 hits as a single sniper or HD round. Meaning you got 1 shot, plus maybe a couple of bolts from the second, out of them before the Borg adapted. Needless to say, that made them completely useless.

To fix that, the Devs put a cooldown on the Borg recieving adaption counters, so they couldn't get more than one counter within the one activation. So you get your 4 shots with an auto. But, if I'm remembering this correctly, then mathematically, the Borg are far more likely to get an adaption counter for each activation of an automatic weapon because they have 3-4 different 75% chances to get one, whilst with a single shot weapon, they only have one 75% chance per activation. Translated into the game, you'll hardly ever get more than 4 shots with an automatic weapon. Actually, there's a good chance they'll adapt once the first bolt of the 4th shot hits them, so in terms of damage, you get 3&1/4 or 3&1/3 shots out of it. That's certainly what it felt like to me when I was running a Jem'Hadar set on a character who at the time had no STF set.

I may be remembering it wrong and they might have done it a different way so it is fairer than that, but they don't feel particularly useful to me.

Last edited by skhc; 06-27-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Commander
# 9
06-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attizz View Post
And don't hesitate to ask your teammates. Yes there are some trolls out there, but most of the players are very helpful (I think more as in space stf).
Yapp, I remember joining my first Ground STF and saying I could neep help (KA of course), never been here before. One guy said, no problem, he guides us (I wasn't the only one).
Was a super success, got even the optional (I thought this was super duper hard at that time), but forgot about the Assimilate Accolade :biggrin:

It felt quite good returning this favour a month later to another group, 4 guys never been there before and me leading all of them
Captain
# 10
06-27-2012, 04:40 AM
Forgot to mention above:

You'd be surprised how many people have gotten to the level cap without realising that in ground combat, the best survivability buff is to croutch. On normal difficulty you can get away with just running about in shooter mode, and maybe using "Aim" occasionally if you remember... but on Elites, you'll be taking a lot more damage.

Bind a key to Croutch, and another key to Aim. Try to always use Aim when you're shooting at stuff, and try to always use Croutch if it's likely to shoot back at you.

If you're in REAL trouble and need to withdraw, roll or sprint towards the nearest cover. Sprinting adds +75% dodge chance, rolling adds even more but is only useful for short distances.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen someone keep standing still and not croutch whilst an Elite Tac Borg drone shoots them to death.

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]