Lt. Commander
In one of the reman missions we have to disable that satellite that's stopping your ship from moving etc. Is there any way to immobilise your ship in the foundry? I've got a couple of interesting ideas for missions but I don't know if they are possible with the current tools.

also, is there any way to set patrol routes for NPC groups/individuals. Say have an NPC beam in at one location and go to another set "waypoint" of sorts.

Lastly, can I set and NPC i.e. a Red shirt to be in one spot, have an enemy beam in and vapourise him in one shot and then beam out. Some work with triggers? I dont want the NPC to be engaged by my team just want a scene of sorts with a mandatory red shirt murder as part of the mission story!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
In one of the reman missions we have to disable that satellite that's stopping your ship from moving etc. Is there any way to immobilise your ship in the foundry? I've got a couple of interesting ideas for missions but I don't know if they are possible with the current tools.

also, is there any way to set patrol routes for NPC groups/individuals. Say have an NPC beam in at one location and go to another set "waypoint" of sorts.

Lastly, can I set and NPC i.e. a Red shirt to be in one spot, have an enemy beam in and vapourise him in one shot and then beam out. Some work with triggers? I dont want the NPC to be engaged by my team just want a scene of sorts with a mandatory red shirt murder as part of the mission story!
Best trick I know of for a Red Shirt Murder is to built the whole map on platforms, high above the actual ground. Then have waypoints/objectives that draw the player away from the redshirt. Have the ground disappear beneath the redshirt, dropping him to his death, replace the platform and spawn a copy of him in the dead position. You'd be best advised to wall off the redshirt behind an invisible wall so that any stragglers in multiplayer don't accidentally fall with him... and maybe spawn an energy cloud when he dies that disappears when the replacement comes in so that people don't see the hole in the ground or the substitution.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Tim,

In my mission, I pretty much just created a "grid" of the invisible walls in space in order to trap the player's ship. It seems to work pretty well. Depending on the size of the spacing, you can make it leave little to no room to maneuver.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Shame we can't have some more complex tools for creating our own "cutscenes" like those in the Cloaked Intentions missions. I envisioned having my away team reach a marker on the map and after a brief dialog have one hostile NPC beam in and vaporise a Red shirt with his weapon before beaming out.

If that's not possible fair enough, just got loads of ideas but don't know if it's possible to do them with the current tools.

Anyone know ways to send NPC's to certain locations after they beam in? Possibly I could have a group of red shirts beam in with me, but then run off to a different location to their deaths (I could use that tip about the platforms to simulate their deaths. Also, how do you remove NPC's using triggers? I can't find any states for them to be hidden after certain objectives have been met.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-23-2011, 08:11 PM
You can't hide NPCs currently. There are two ways you can work around it.

1) Build your entire map as a custom interior on a ground map, high above the ground. Then you can drop the NPCs through the floor. It doesn't matter whether or not it kills them, they should be out of the way.

2) Place the NPC right next to a wall or a crate or other object that can hide them. Then when you want to hide them you shift that object just slightly so that it covers them up. This works best when the player's attention is directed elsewhere.

With the person beaming in and vaporizing the red shirt the best you could really do is have it occur using a dialogue box, and then have his dead body discovered (contact using the sleep lying down or lie face first animation).