Lt. Commander
So I was watching Star Trek III The Search for Spock last night, it was on TV and I hadn't seen it for a while. And I realized that the part where Kirk and crew beamed down to the Genesis planet played out almost exactly like a ground mission in Star Trek Online.

Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Chekov and Sulu beamed down to fight Klingons and rescue Spock an Savik. Kirk is obviously the player. McCoy, the Chief medical officer (or in STO terms, the science officer who has 4 healing skills). Scotty the engineer (although he never did deploy phaser turrets or shield generators). Chekov's skills in the original movies were all over the place, but for STIII he was acting science officer. And Sulu had the role of the guy on your away team that would run through a plasma fire to palm strike a batíleth wielding Klingon.

Kirk and his four best bridge officers beamed down just before the Enterprise Self Destructed. Just like in STO when you beam down your ship ceases to exist because of STO's limited game engine, which can't allow the players captain and ship to exist in two separate instances at once. (I remember before STO came out one of the devs said that it was a deliberate game design to protect a player from having his or her ship destroyed or captured by another player while they were down on a planet, leaving them stranded there. Of course, ultimately that would be impossible to do in STO as the only way to PVP is to wait half an hour in a queue.)

After beaming down, it was a short walk for Kirk and crew to go from their beam down point to their mission objective (where the Klingons were holding Spock and Savik). Young Spock threw a Klingon 20 feet, Kirk shot a Klingon sending him flying back 50 feet. Kirk killed the boss Klingon, then beamed off the planet as it fell apart, just like in STO when after you leave a planet, normally you can never go back, so it might as well have been destroyed.

Now obviously there are differences between STO and STIII. The biggest one probably is that in STIII, Kirks crew were highly trained Starfleet officers and characters in a movie. Whereas your away team in STO are borderline retarded NPC's in a Scifi/Fantasy MMORPG who's skills are easily defined into standard MMO classes and buff/de buff categories.

So if Star Trek III The Search For Spock had been a mission in Star Trek Online it would look like this:

Kirk and Crew spawn into the Genesis planet map looking at the Enterprise fireball burning up in the atmosphere.

Kirk: My God Bones what have I-- Chekov did you just inject your self with a Hypo spray? You have full health and we aren't even in combat yet!

Chekov: Sorry Rear Admiral Upper Half, I got nerwous.

Kirk: Sulu stop jumping up onto that rock. Scotty stop petting your Tribble. Everyone follow me.

Mission objective: Defeat Klingon groups 0/5

Just before reaching the first group of Klingons they stop.

Kirk: Where's Scotty?

McCoy: He got stuck on a tree just up that last hill, Rear Admiral Upper Half.

Kirk: ******it! lets go back and get him.

They back track, get the stuck engineer NPC and run to the closest red dots on the map.

During the battle they shoot each bad guy a couple dozen times to kill them. Scotty deploys phaser turrets and shield generators, McCoy uses his medical tricorder to raise the hp of a team member to full, Chekov does a bunch of technobabble stuff involving stasis fields and tachyon beams, Sulu shoots and punches things. And Kirk does a bunch of rifle butting and leg sweeps and throws a few grenades as all the Klingons completely ignore his away team and come right at him.

Mission objective: Defeat Klingon groups 1/5

They repeat this process 4 more times

Mission objective: Defeat Klingon groups 5/5
Defeat Klingon boss

Commander Kruge beams down, Kirk and his crew shoot, club and leg sweep him to death.

They beam back up to the Enterprise, which has been magically put back together, the Genesis planet blows up, and they collect their reward of a few hundred XP, skill points, a female Vulcan Bridge officer, and a Klingon Bird of Prey, and the accolade and title of: "James T. Kirk Renegade and Terrorist"

The End

So for over a year now I have been trying to find a Star Trek episode or movie which is similar to the ground portion of STO, it turns out it is Star Trek III, I guess it could be worse, it could have been Star Trek V or Star Trek VII, or Star Trek IX or Star Trek X. Hopefully with this up coming ground combat revamp it will more resemble something like the DS9 episodes Way of the Warrior or The Siege at AR558, something fast paced and exciting, not slow, long and tedious.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I lol'd .
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
yeah me too
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
that was well written!
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Now that was f-ing funny.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Lee View Post
Now that was f-ing funny.
You need to cut down your siggy, its too big.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
Kirk and his four best bridge officers
Poor Uhura didn't get to go...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
LoL

Great post.