Lt. Commander
# 1 WTB Guardian of Forever
05-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Single Foundry Author seeks Guardian of Forever to join him in a quest on a planet in the Gateway system.

Single Foundry Author likes Phasers, talking in metaphoric statements and time travel. Dislikes not enough art assets and important set pieces missing from foundry.

Call: 555-FOUNDRY
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-23-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a suspicion, bear in mind I don't have anything to back this up but its an expectation, that the GoF will probably be off limits for Foundry use. The Guardian has been a legal sore spot for CBS for years and I have a feeling that to avoid anymore headaches it just won't be made available to us. I of course would love to be proven wrong, but I think you will find your ad unanswered But if you do get the asset, can I have Space Lincoln? I don't have a story for him yet...but hes canon!
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazag
Single Foundry Author seeks Guardian of Forever to join him in a quest on a planet in the Gateway system.

Single Foundry Author likes Phasers, talking in metaphoric statements and time travel. Dislikes not enough art assets and important set pieces missing from foundry.

Call: 555-FOUNDRY
It's probably never going to be available for us. It barely made it into the real game mission. Apparently, the Guardian "character" is an intellectual property owned by someone else, not by CBS, so they have to pay or get permission every time they use it.

I'm sure if you contact the owner of the Guardian and pay them tons of cash they will license it out for your foundry mission :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Harlan Ellison to be precise. IF you look into the 'lore' the fight between him and Star Trek is a legendary affair. They were/are in litigation pretty much since the 60's regarding aspects of the whole thing. As I said its a legal minefield and likely to remain more offlimits then Talos IV. In fact it might just be safer to deal with the Talosians
Career Officer
# 5
08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
As I said its a legal minefield and likely to remain more offlimits then Talos IV. In fact it might just be safer to deal with the Talosians
Props for the reference! (I'm going through TOS again to prepare for my upcoming Foundry mission and I just saw those episodes. lol)

I'm disappointed about that as well; it would've really been a great explanation for how the time travel missions would start.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Captain
# 6
08-16-2012, 03:06 PM
I made this:

I call it the Guardian of Balance. Star Trek is listed in the TOS as a property we can use. Nothing in the TOS prevents this:

http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/up.../guardian4.jpg

Last edited by kirksplat; 08-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
That looks fantastic!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 8
08-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
That looks fantastic!
what's really cool about it is you can make it cycle through different sets. Putting the time portal (with a bright sky) closes it, and all the set can cycle with triggers and timers. So, you can look through the portal, see Cardassia, see portal go generic and then reopen to show Vulcan.

If you want, you could even have the player step through and the whole thing can disappear.
Ensign
# 9
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Harlan Ellison to be precise. IF you look into the 'lore' the fight between him and Star Trek is a legendary affair. They were/are in litigation pretty much since the 60's regarding aspects of the whole thing. As I said its a legal minefield and likely to remain more offlimits then Talos IV. In fact it might just be safer to deal with the Talosians
Not quite right there. Ellison was the author of the original Teleplay. It was revised several times, and what we saw on TV bore little resemblance to what Ellison wrote--however he retained "by" credit for it. As a freelance contractor, the script was a "Work for Hire". Under copyright law, it belongs to the company, not the individual--that's cut-and-dry. No legal quagmire whatsoever.

Ellison's lawsuit (filed in March of 2009 and settled in October of the same year) had nothing to do with ownership, intellectual property, or copyright. The lawsuit revolved around CBS failing to give Ellison the writer's share of royalties for merchandizing--a series of novels (Crucible Trilogy) and a talking "Guardian" Christmas tree ornament. He never accused Trek owners of not paying him for the episode itself--only "extras" related to it.
VAdm Robert Charles Graham
U.S.S. Gawain, NCC-91980
Frontier Fleet
STO-Frontier-Fleet.ProBoards.com
Captain
# 10
09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Quote:
I have a suspicion, bear in mind I don't have anything to back this up but its an expectation, that the GoF will probably be off limits for Foundry use. The Guardian has been a legal sore spot for CBS for years and I have a feeling that to avoid anymore headaches it just won't be made available to us. I of course would love to be proven wrong, but I think you will find your ad unanswered But if you do get the asset, can I have Space Lincoln? I don't have a story for him yet...but hes canon!
I put a "Space Lincoln' cameo at the end of my mission. Of course Abraham Lincoln is off limits due to the eula but lincolninspace aka me, is not.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR