Lt. Commander
# 41
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Excellent update...There are still many people who have not read the comic prequel to the movie (Star Trek: Countdown) or watched the movie, (that does explain this.) Hopefully this will inform those individuals and forum posts will not be cluttered with babble on the issue.
I'd like to think that anyone that hasn't seen the movie and hasn't read the Countdown comics wouldn't be interested in a pre-beta Star Trek game :p If there's anyone here that hasn't done one of those two and considers themselves a Star Trek fan at all then they're delusional :p

I still find it extremely sad that this was required at all but oh well now we can just link people to this and if they still don't "get it" we'll get Bill Engvall to give them a sign...
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I would hate it if future movies took place in the Abrams Verse, that movie, though entertaining, doesn't subscribe to the values of star trek. From the beginning star trek has been about a Utopian society with values that are challenged by the galaxy. This movie had no social commentary, it was pure entertainment.

The best thing about star trek in my opinion is it made you think about what it means to be human. It preached a message of social unity. Even to the point of considering aliens equal. and it gave us a political and diplomatic ideal. Star Trek was a very important part of my teenage years. Though I'm and ashiest, this show helped me see that all of us humans are on this planet together, and we need to stop fighting and get along. We need to respect "alien" cultures for the purposes of peace.

Anyway, I see the movie as an entertaining episode. maybe have another movie that brings Spock back. (though Spock has been brought back from death and time and parallel l universes so many times. maybe he should just stay). But the Prime verse has way to much history to through away. and continuing the franchise in two universes would be confusing.

(though a series in the mirror universe would be interesting, It could run along side a series in the prim verse, and they could occasionally cross)

IDK, I'm just babbling now....
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-14-2009, 02:28 PM
not that i'm not excited about this game still, and i understand the reasons why, i still think its a cop out.

2 timelines is lame. it's basicly just a giant retcon and shows why trek was in the state it was in before the new prime timeline started. Pandering to the ultra-fan/non-fans isnt the way to be successful. they hate everything new and different anyway.

they were the same ones that hated Voyager when it was on the air (but now pretend to be fans), and refuse to accept enterprise as cannon, even tho it is.
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGuitars View Post
Excellent post. I look forward to adventuring in the prime time-line and hope to be able to travel to the alternate now and then also.
I hope to leave the alternate just where it is and not touch it.

I watched the movie but it shouldn't have anything to do with the game IMO. From the description on the chart page it's just something on the side ... so leave it there.

And ... I don't see how it ties into the game. I mean just from the Countdown comics that lead to some events people talk about? Then Nero disappears with Spock .. then that's where it ends dealing with STO?
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

Any chance of getting this posted under the Universe Menu Tab on the Front Page - http://www.startrekonline.com/ ?

For example:

• THE GAME:
    • About Star Trek Online
    • FAQ
    • STO and Star Trek XI
    • Ask Cryptic
  • UNIVERSE
    • Ship of the Line
    • Path to 2409
    • Time Line
Figured I would post here, instead of starting a new thread on it, but:
  • Thanks for the Upgrades to the Website Front Page!

We now have two new additions to the MENU on the front page:
  • STO and Star Trek XI (under GAME)
  • IRC Chat (Under COMMUNITY) (was newsletter sign up there before as well?)

Again, much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe2004 View Post
I would hate it if future movies took place in the Abrams Verse, that movie, though entertaining, doesn't subscribe to the values of star trek.=
I hate to break it to you, but its pretty obvious that any future movies WILL take place in the JJ Verse. Why? Well, the entire reason this new movie was made is because the "old story"(and really the whole franchise) had kind of fizzled out. The whole point of this new movie was to "reboot" ST and make it fun and popular, and it did exactly that. There is no question that Paramount is going to follow this new movie's story in any future movies.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There is no question that Paramount is going to follow this new movie's story in any future movies.
Which is a great sadness. Star Trek has become a cash cow.
I wouldn't have minded (and still wouldn't) if Star Trek just took another 10-20 year break. It would be better than getting pandering light-shows that only remind you how good it use to be.

I'm just glad that STO is sticking to the Prime universe and (at least mostly, hopefully totally) ignoring the 90210verse.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
It would be better than getting pandering light-shows that only remind you how good it use to be .
Actually, the new movie IS "how it used to be". No, it wasnt TNG, that much is for sure. But the new movie was more like TOS than TNG was, and TOS was the ORIGINAL Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
Which is a great sadness. Star Trek has become a cash cow.
I wouldn't have minded (and still wouldn't) if Star Trek just took another 10-20 year break. It would be better than getting pandering light-shows that only remind you how good it use to be.

I'm just glad that STO is sticking to the Prime universe and (at least mostly, hopefully totally) ignoring the 90210verse.
In my highly subjective opinion, Star Trek has been a cash cow since the movies came out. The time travel story was used brilliantly to solidify the restart of the ST movie franchise and Nimoy reprising his role as Spock was astounding. Hopefully there won't be a rehash of the previous movies,but new original stories. Afterall it's a big universe.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
Hopefully there won't be a rehash of the previous movies,but new original stories.
You mean like how Abrams Remade Wrath of Kahn? I I hope he comes up with an original idea too. Ant dosn't slap Star Trek on it's side.