Lt. Commander
# 61
06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I was wondering how it would be addressed.

You gotta have multiple universes and timelines in the star trek universe. How else would you come up with the temporal prime directive?

Seems like the safe approach is being taken. I'm down with that, but the devs gotta get us to the temporal prime directive somewhere along the line. It ain't star trek unless you throw in some of that weird and bizarre sci-fi stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 62
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Absolutely Not. I would rather have STO stay in the Prime Universe.
Lt. Commander
# 63
06-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm finding myself wishing for the best of both worlds....
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso719 View Post
You mean like how Abrams Remade Wrath of Kahn? I I hope he comes up with an original idea too. Ant dosn't slap Star Trek on it's side.
I believe it was Harve Bennett who wrote the Wrath of Kahn and was directed by Nicholas Meyer.
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigori View Post
Seriously? After all the history that was created within the current universe... you would really go back to a universe where Vulcan was destroyed and cataclysm drove events? All the progress made in the current universe makes thigns exciting in what they are... not to mention we lose foundational events that drove the evolution of the Federation and other cultural and societal relationships. While some may enjoy the warped view of Star Trek as provided in the current movie, I prefer the Star Trek we all know and have come to love... and would have to agree with Zelta's timeline graphic. It's an alternate timeline within a paralell universe... it's a possibility given breath but beating with a second heart. There is every possibility that the Caelar and the Borg never existed in this new timeline in this alternate universe... and STO without the Borg, well, that just doens't interest me.
Destroying Vulcan was a gutsy move... they made waves with that one. The movie went outside most peoples comfort zones. It's also facinating how Spock from the prime universe was thrust into this new prime universe... "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations." I agree, STO needs to include the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 66
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi all,

ever thought of what will happen in the sequel to Star Trek XI?

I'm pretty sure that Star Trek XII will have something to do with reversing the damage the Nero and Spock have done to the timeline. I just can't believe that the old Spock will accept what happened and just enjoying his retirement in some residential home in the greater area of San Francisco He will do ANYTHING to make the destruction of Vulcan un-happen, probably by having the young crew of the Enterprise help him in some way.

Can the devs please start a poll on how the "Alternate Timeline" Issue will be solved?

1. Nothing will happen, we will have two timelines forever
2. In the future there will be even more timelines to destroy the background of Star Trek completely
3. Het's right and Star Trek XII will reverse the outcome of Star Trek XI

Greetz,

Het
Lt. Commander
# 67
06-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdee View Post
Pfft, this is nothing for an X-Men fan! :p
pffft... like the Marvelverse has messes as big as DC's... how many infinites can it handle?
Lt. Commander
# 68
06-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield View Post
Hi all,

ever thought of what will happen in the sequel to Star Trek XI?

I'm pretty sure that Star Trek XII will have something to do with reversing the damage the Nero and Spock have done to the timeline. I just can't believe that the old Spock will accept what happened and just enjoying his retirement in some residential home in the greater area of San Francisco He will do ANYTHING to make the destruction of Vulcan un-happen, probably by having the young crew of the Enterprise help him in some way.
LOL. Your joking, right? It sounds like you dont understand WHY the new movie was made. Prior to the new movie, the ST franchise was fizzling out. The last movie to be made was a disappointment(at the box office), and the last series was canceled. Things werent looking good. So Paramount, being a business, decided to "start over", and change directions. And guess what? It worked, as the new movie's critical reception and performance at the box offfice proves.

Now that Paramount has sucessfully "rebooted" the franchise, you actually think their going to go back to the "old story" that has been dying a slow death over the past decade? If you do, then you must think Paramount hates money. Seriously, this new movie and its story is the future of the Star Trek franchise. I'm not saying its "better" than the old ones, but it is certainly more sucessful, and that is all Paramount cares about. Its literally insane to think they would go back to the old story after the new movie did so well.
Lt. Commander
# 69
06-18-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd also like to point out however that this movie probably had about 5 times the budget of the last several star trek movies...

It's helps get box office money if your explosions and ships are as cool as those...
Lt. Commander
# 70
06-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
LOL. Your joking, right? It sounds like you dont understand WHY the new movie was made. Prior to the new movie, the ST franchise was fizzling out. The last movie to be made was a disappointment(at the box office), and the last series was canceled. Things werent looking good. So Paramount, being a business, decided to "start over", and change directions. And guess what? It worked, as the new movie's critical reception and performance at the box offfice proves.

Now that Paramount has sucessfully "rebooted" the franchise, you actually think their going to go back to the "old story" that has been dying a slow death over the past decade? If you do, then you must think Paramount hates money. Seriously, this new movie and its story is the future of the Star Trek franchise. I'm not saying its "better" than the old ones, but it is certainly more sucessful, and that is all Paramount cares about. Its literally insane to think they would go back to the old story after the new movie did so well.
Hi,

do you really think that ST XI has been such a great box office success because of the destruction of Vulcan and the creation of an alternative time line? It was successful because of massive pre-movie marketing, great special effects, very good action and new actors that played the famous TOS crew. The last couple movies were good, but not good enough for a successful box office. Don't forget - the real icons of Star Trek are Kirk, Spock and Co, NOT Picard, Riker oder Worf. The original series is CULT and way more famous then TNG, DS9, etc.

Therefore - Paramount will always make money with a movie similar to ST XI. And if we all are lucky they will also care about the timeline problem in the next movies. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I just hope that there is someone at Paramount that cares and write it into the storybook for ST XII...

Het