Lt. Commander
# 31
06-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I had a feeling it might be something like this bust to see it CONFIRMED is awesome. I plan on making exploring a major part of my game. Nice.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-13-2009, 06:25 AM
All jokes aside about Star Trek III, I am also impressed to finally see that the random generator system is at least "officially" announced now.

But I'm still wondering how the database will handle it? Will a random planet be "deleted" after we're done there or decide to quit mid-mission? Will we ever be able to re-visit planets we discovered during the first leg of our "careers" so to speak?

I'm just assuming whatever the answer is to the above it is going to be keeping track of randomly generated "civilizations" since they've said we'd be able to take crew members and share that info with others should they want a member of that race for their crew. At least I'm recalling having read that much awhile back.

Indeed, I have to admit to wondering why a random generator was never thought of for other mmos in the past now since we've seen the concept used in several linear games for a long time. Even if somewhat repetitive in scope.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-13-2009, 07:08 AM
I'd like more info about this. The announcement was good, but vague.

Will players be able to create planets and solar systems any time they want?

Will these created planets remain in game forever, or disappear?

Will other people be able to visit these planets we create?

Will we be able to put structures and wildlife and things on the surface?

Will we be able to add people to the planet?

I was kinda hoping to once I got ingame, create a small scale Risa. Risa is a little too tame for me, so I wanted to crate a small moon somewhere with a nice beach side resort on it. Could I do that?

Rob
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I am very excited to get out there and explore...I would love to do a deep space exploration mission...
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-13-2009, 08:34 AM
It seems to take less time to create a planet than get this game out already.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
I'd like more info about this. The announcement was good, but vague.

Will players be able to create planets and solar systems any time they want?

Will these created planets remain in game forever, or disappear?

Will other people be able to visit these planets we create?

Will we be able to put structures and wildlife and things on the surface?

Will we be able to add people to the planet?

I was kinda hoping to once I got ingame, create a small scale Risa. Risa is a little too tame for me, so I wanted to crate a small moon somewhere with a nice beach side resort on it. Could I do that?

Rob
Who said anything about players creating planets? It's a development tool.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Randomly generated content usually fails. Everything begins to look the same. There has to be a LARGE base selection of artwork for the generator to use. What I worry about it whether every federation outpost will be the same outpost? Will every mountain trail be the SAME mountain trail? If they only make ten different outposts, then ten is all well will ever see, regardless of how many worlds are made.
Hopefully every piece of art (wall, light, tree) will be just one piece in a box full of legos, allowing the system to truly build unique environments. Unfortunately, as most of us are aware, even that leads to some poorly designed maps more often than not.
The other concern is eventually there is bound to be a limit to the amount of persistent worlds which can exist (it has to be stored somewhere.) If there are 1 million players, all on one server and each player every day finds one new planet, how many days before the system crashes?
Sorry, but I'm a bit pessimistic on this one particular promise.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Well it sounds great, i hope this is not going to be like EVE in the end where all systems seem the same.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Really loved this article. It's always cool to get a bit of an inside look at things
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Genesis!..... Genesis Planet Is Forbidden!!