Lt. Commander
# 21
05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Seems like you're saying that Cryptic needs to totally redo Space Combat, and at this point I am very much inclined to agree.

If you ask me, if done right, even the PvEers could benefit from changes where it would make Space Combat a little more interesting than it is now.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Well basically you start from that 40% hard CAP on resistances, the rest is just fine-tuning.

Putting global hard caps is simple, and tweaking requires only 1 parameter to be adjusted.

Same could be done for Damage boosts.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Idk, from a balance perspective it doesn't seem to be any worse now than it's always been there's just different skills and items to replace the old ones, and a coordinated team attack seems to work reasonably well. If anything the nerf to tricobolt damage has hurt a little in breaking big tanks you need to alpha.

From a fun gameplay perspective I can see where shields would have have quick regen capabilities, and hull above 50% would have quick hulls healing capabilites (think borg regen tech/replicator tech) and any more than that you need to go to 2-3 minutes out of combat for repairs. They could introduce Core Infrastructure as a 3rd HP group where anything below 80% required space dock to repair.

But, I don't think many players would like these kind of changes as they introduce a penalty of sorts. Tbo, w/o some sort of penalties I don't see much of a point complaining of "reality" of instant hull heals. Also, these types of changes would really nerf Engineers and require a big rebalance.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes, the Borg and Aegis sets have changed PvP quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Thy View Post
Well basically you start from that 40% hard CAP on resistances, the rest is just fine-tuning.

Putting global hard caps is simple, and tweaking requires only 1 parameter to be adjusted.

Same could be done for Damage boosts.
If Cryptic increases Shield resiliance depending on power levels and have Emergency Power to Shields only restore some lost shield hps and at the same time restoring shield energy (damage drains shield power), then it would be very possible.

As for damage boosts, we don't need anymore. The line between strong offense and strong defense has been blurred too much.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-24-2011, 12:02 AM
I think that massive resist values and stacking are the main OP element. It's just silly to pound on a target and see practically no damage inflicted.

I'd like to see resist values reduced, but then there has to be a boost to ship and shield HP to compensate and prevent a "he who shoots first wins" situation. I'm talking like a 50% (rough figure) increase to hull and shield values across the board, and make natural shield regeneration more potent.

Higher native HP and lower resists could reduce the "never die" and "dead in seconds" encounters that seem so frequent.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I'm sure he didn't literally mean 1 second.
True. Usually it's more 1 second and he goes from 1 % to 20 %. A second later you see his shields "coming back". A few more seconds later, the health goes up. And maybe 20-30 seconds later, he may be up to almost full health. And this is all while people keep shooting at the target.
(That part might actually be the tactical mistake - if you cannot provide another spike to beat that healing, try to hit someone else, since those heals spend on your original target are gone. But coordinating a PuG for such tactics is hard. But some PuGs with experienced players can sometimes pull it off.)

--

About reducing resistances - the problem in STO is the "variance" available in the game. The difference between unbuffed beam damage and fully buffed dual heavy canno ndamage coupled with a Beam Overload, the difference between 0 resists and no heals and 60 % resists and tons of heals.

These variances exist on both the defense and the offense side and must exist to balance each other. The balance might not be perfect, but you cannot expect to majorly nerf heals and resists and have damage stay as it is. The game already had a state where damage was king, and it wasn't really any better or more enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Tying heals to aux is a bad idea. It makes less experienced players choose high aux power levels to improve their healing; and we all know that a weapon power setting below 100 makes a ship almost useless for dealing damage.

The easiest thing to improve pvp would be changing the default power level preset from balanced to attack.

If you want more, then shorten the debuff clearing of Tactical Team from 10s to the usual 5s and turn FOMM into a shield resist debuff.

Rebalancing healing requires rebalancing SNB; and this has a distinct chance of breaking more than it repairs.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Monster View Post
I think that massive resist values and stacking are the main OP element. It's just silly to pound on a target and see practically no damage inflicted.

I'd like to see resist values reduced, but then there has to be a boost to ship and shield HP to compensate and prevent a "he who shoots first wins" situation. I'm talking like a 50% (rough figure) increase to hull and shield values across the board, and make natural shield regeneration more potent.

Higher native HP and lower resists could reduce the "never die" and "dead in seconds" encounters that seem so frequent.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Interesting....

Basically you are saying that reducing the gap beween an unbuffed ship and a fully buffed one might solve the problem.

I agree, team PvP is too dependant on active buffs (either on self or on other teammates).

But hull/shield hp increase and resistance value decrease must be calculated carefully or you end up making the problem worse.

IMHO a Hard CAP on hull/shield Resistances is mandatory anyway. Even if you decrease, say HE Res buff to a half, nothing prevents 4 ships to stack it on a single teammate in need, where preveiously it only took 2 of them.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Rebalancing healing requires rebalancing SNB; and this has a distinct chance of breaking more than it repairs.
SNB and Heal/Res stacking are bound together. If you decrease the dependency from active Heal/Res buffs SNB will be less vital/fatal.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Actually hull resist stacking is not much of issue. Resist debuffs are much more stronger than resist buffs. Keep in mind that resistance add up with the rating that translates them to % mitigation with some diminished returns. While debuffs remove a portion of whole % mitigation, not just the rating.

For example. If you achieve with half dozen skill a 50% dmg reduction on hull, its removed with one average auxed sensor scan...or FOMM..and those debuffs stack much better

--

The whole problem of STO lies in the difference of supported/buffed ship vs not-supported/buffed. The game needs, that ships are naturally more durable and the healing/buffs have less power. Ie. that the combat without abiltiies is slower, while with abilities it retains its current speed.

The skills should be used tactically, not spammed like 2x EPtS for 100% uptime....with that, we may as well make them passive.