Lt. Commander
# 31
06-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnonSeek View Post
A lot of players don't seem to get it. Without additional Klingon content the Klingon faction dies. STO then becomes FEDERATION Online. With the Klingon side now dead STO is now dead and STO gets canceled.
Why? losing 12% of the player base would be bad, I'm not sure it would kill the game? I'm fairly sure it hasn't .

I think the loss of the Klingons as a playable empire would be a shame... and i would rather see full fledged content for the Klingons than the introduction of a new playable faction.

Let me be clear, I actually want more PvE content for the KDF, if they get it, I will play a character... i started out with a KDF toon, got bored and erased it, because PvP is not my idea of fun.

That said, if it becomes a choice between Federation content and Klingon content, I'm going to prefer they do Fed content... because i feel a larger emotional attachment to the Federation than I do the Klingons...
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
In Star Trek, the klingons were ....

That is also how they are in STO.

This is WRONG... VERY wrong.
I'm inclined to wonder if you meant to say this. It reads like, "We know of them like this from the show, and they are exactly the same in STO, and that's not right."

There's a bit of a conundrum there.

Quote:
The Klingons were a sophisticated species with a very destinct set of rules for where and when they were allowed to attack.

For Instance: When Quark threw himself at the mercy of a klingon, displaying a level of honesty saying "if you kill me it won't be honorable killing, but plain murder" (or somthing like that) during a duel to the death, and when the Klingon was about to kill him, the other klingons dishonored him for "trying to kill a pathetic ferengi i cold blood".

This displays that the KDF would, and should never allow the killing of defenceless people, even when that battle was agreed upon by both parties.
Klingons are and have always been conquerors. Quark was a pathetic target to begin with, and there was absolutely NO honour in killing him. His actions proved that there are Klingons around who do actually forsake honour in the name of getting ahead (anyone remember Duras? ). That said, are you referring to killing an enemy once beaten? That's fine. They put up a fight, they were not defenceless, and their deaths add to the glory and honour of the crew that killed them.

The Klingons do not, as a faction, kill defenseless people anywhere. Subjugate, yeah. Conquer, sure! But they don't cause planet-wide genocide. One tried, as we see in Doomsday, and those without honour that supported him will suffer the wrath of those that have it. But you even saw a glimpse of one that felt it was wrong; he went so far as to work with you, a Federation Officer, to kill those responsible and destroy the weapon.

Quote:
Displaying the KDF as they are in STO is disregarding everything we know about them. STO represents the KDF as Thugs and raiders who care for nothing else than slaughtering their enemy.
From a Federation point of view, or a Klingon point of view? The Feds are sure to get only one side of things, naturally; they are at war, after all, and propaganda is the media tool of every warring faction ever. But from the KDF, we're here to fight, we're here to win, and our enemies are neither defenseless nor unarmed. The freighters we pillage are essentially the only unarmed ships we fire upon, and those are no longer of use to us once they go below 50% hull. (If a player continues to destroy it, that's the player's issue, not the KDF)

Quote:
No what I want for the KDF, is a complete suspension of that faction, a complete re-design of EVERYTHING, ships, weapons, models and missions, to better display what the klingons are all about.
In many ways the Klingons are the STO equivalent of Warcrafts (no... not World of ********... the REAL ********) Orcs: Seemingly rampaging annimals, but really a advanced culture.
I agree with you, minus the suspension (I still want to play my Klink, despite being at max level, for the duration of this 'redesign' you propose. However, I fully disagree with you on the grounds for why.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingbadger View Post
Why? losing 12% of the player base would be bad, I'm not sure it would kill the game? I'm fairly sure it hasn't .
I'm also skeptical about that number. 12% has been the floating number for awhile now, ever since Dstahl posted it, and it never came with a breakdown.

12% that only have a Klingon toon?
12% that have both KDF and Starfleet toons?
12% at any given time actively playing thier KDF character?

Raw numbers like this give ONLY the view that the Federation is more popular (naturally, given the shows), but is otherwise useless in determining the value of a faction without a breakdown of how those numbers were obtained.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingbadger View Post
Why? losing 12% of the player base would be bad, I'm not sure it would kill the game? I'm fairly sure it hasn't
The game's overall population, fed included, is smaller than it was back when the KDF got more dev team attention.

When the game passes the event horizon what will be the indicator? The company getting sold? The featured episodes being pushed into rerun mode? The season patch updates being pushed back on the schedule? Or just something as simple as Bioware releasing an MMO that could compete for the same audience?
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minionsoldier View Post
another way to look at it is this

Alot of people are wondering when are we gonna be able to play romulans ? If romulans are treated the same way klingons are you have another 12% faction that gets left unplayed and underused because cryptic hatches the same tired excuse of no one's playing our new faction so we backseat them.

In the end you have to call this exactly what this is a one faction mmo with the option for monster play.
To a point agree; but we have a large population of Romulan fans that really only want to play in those fancy ships. Initially the stars will be covered in Warbirds. That would give time to make a few missions to spice them up a bit.

Cardassians as a faction will be exactly like KDF; PvP and grinding. Not accurate portrayal of these factions and in my opinion an injustice to all of the factions outside of Federation. But I really want that Keldon re-fit. For an engineer that would be such a joy.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-04-2011, 04:28 PM
You need at least 2 healthy sides to have a viable game. Klingons are nothing but monster play right now. This game has survived for 1 reason....its Star Trek and ppl will show interest. But, that will only go so long. Cryptic wouldnt need to use gimmics to draw players in like c-store bannana hammocks and such, if the Klingons were the powerful faction they should have been. There would be persistant clan wars and huge fights for land/planetary control....the game would be much richer and fuller with way more to do in most aspects.

Now its just gimmic after gimmic..a new shiny to keep the masses attention diverted for a minute more. But that strategy has not proven to be all that viable so far. STO could have been a cash machine...one of the biggest and well fleshed out IP franchises in the world...and its sputtering along......The lack of 2 viable factions and real collaborative , social gameplay is the main reason STO has never reached even a small fraction of its potential.

As for Romulans...just look at the KDF and the string of broken promises.....now do you really think the new Chinese F2P masters are gonna dump tons of resources into a 3rd faction?
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I say yes. Create an expansion pack, merge a large content upgrade with the new Romulan faction, and call it ........ Star Trek: Villains. I say that tongue-in-cheek, but with some seriousness.

One thing I have yet to see mentioned is this: So many folks keep mentioning the percentage of Fed verses KDF players without considering a different context that I think Cryptic should keep in mind? You have a fairly large population of Fed players who of course need a steady stream of content, i. e., things to do, in order to keep them on-board as 'happy' subscribers. This, of course, applies to MMO's in general, and is, I think, a critical part of any game's success. This raises the question, how does Cryptic increase its subscriber base from what it is today? Are you going to get more people to subscribe by adding more Fed content, or by adding an improved Klingon Empire along with brand spanking new Romulan Empire? What is the untapped market potential? In other words, why can't they do both? MMO's can reinvent themselves with expansion packs; we have all seen this before. Why not with STO? The real question I have is this: do you want to stay on the current path and wait for the eventual stagnation, or do you create content that has the potential to grow your playerbase - possibly dramatically? Content which is repetitious is not so bad so long as it provides the illusion of being 'something new.' I say, "Make it so ..."
Lt. Commander
# 38 no
06-04-2011, 06:47 PM
no way they shouldnt evar have content
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreofwar View Post
I'm also skeptical about that number. 12% has been the floating number for awhile now, ever since Dstahl posted it, and it never came with a breakdown.

12% that only have a Klingon toon?
12% that have both KDF and Starfleet toons?
12% at any given time actively playing thier KDF character?

Raw numbers like this give ONLY the view that the Federation is more popular (naturally, given the shows), but is otherwise useless in determining the value of a faction without a breakdown of how those numbers were obtained.
I agree, there should be a better break down of the numbers for those who like to chew on statistics. I would like to see the total number of Klingon Characters vs. total number of Federation Characters, and the Number of Federation only players Vs. number of players with at least one Klingon Character.
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-05-2011, 09:52 AM
The way I see it is that the klingons need to see more content C-store/races/ships/missions exclusively for them to make them feel more complete as a faction. As for feds complaining about not getting content, well not much has to change. Just devert some of the C-Store team to make some klingon stuff and divert the teams doing remastered episodes into making kling missions. Afterall their is no reason why they should be wasting their time on remaking missions for the feds when klingons are in desperate need of PvE missions.

As for saying the featured episodes are good enough I don't agree. Most of the featured episodes are made from a fed point of view and again the klingons PoV is just slapped on with different text nothing more.