Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyuk
Is there any example of these types of queues in other MMO's?

The most people I have seen in the queue in the last several months is around 27, surely a huge population increase would have to happen in order for a ranking system, or separate queue for premades could be even remotely plausable?

Until then, we'll keep asking around in OrganizedPvP.
Speaking as someone with zero MMO experience besides STO, I know they do have them in some FPS style games. Quake has had such a system for ages, and it's not exactly the biggest FPS on the market.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyuk
Is there any example of these types of queues in other MMO's?

The most people I have seen in the queue in the last several months is around 27, surely a huge population increase would have to happen in order for a ranking system, or separate queue for premades could be even remotely plausable?

Until then, we'll keep asking around in OrganizedPvP.
If memory serves, WoW's pvp system at some point would try to put people with similar gear ratings together. There was also the arena system, which put similarly rated teams against each other, so a 1500 rated team wouldn't be fighting 2100 rated killing machines, or stomping 1300 rated teams.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
Still trying to think of the professional pvp'ers who pvp for a living...

Anyways, the goal of PvE is using the right set of skills at the right time to beat NPCs.

The goal of PvP is using the right set of skills at the right time to beat other players.

Think about it
You are half correct. The goal of PvP is using the right set of skills at the right time to beat other players. The goal of PvE is ... nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Indeed Cryptics refusal to come to terms with the STO players, and the extended walkout are taking a toll on day to day STO operations.

My understanding is that the QEW bargaining unit and the Cryptic board of governors; could not reach a deal that both parties found to be mutually favorable. At this time I understand the All Stars have been forced to take job action. As of the publication date talks are stalled, however it is hoped that in the future a third party could perhaps mediate further negotiations with the interested parties.
Okay, ya got me. Before I got to the end of the first sentence, I was walkout !?! Who? What? When? Where? Why? Huh?

Continuing ...

Any queue system for STO is going to be very VERY complicated. You just can go with a win/loss ration or a kill/death ratio (heal boats would hate you). There would have to be a sophisticated weighting system.
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Some kind of weighting system, as well as a combined (eg. one arena queue capable of popping FvK, KvK, and FvF) queues and more variety in match ups (eg. 4v4 up to 12 kills, 3v3 up to 9, 2v2 up to 6; or even games with mismatched numbers per side based on player weighting) is absolutely essential to the long term health and survival of PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-29-2011, 12:07 PM
This game is already quite complicated. I think a rating system/leader board would help casual PVP'ers feel more accomplished. WE could compete against each other even if we are both losers!
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-29-2011, 12:29 PM
How about just adding a "queue as group" only queue?

If a 5 man group wants to queue for both the normal queue AND the premade queue, let them. They can shout out in OPVP that they're queued in premade and if another 5 man wants to challenge them then they can just click on the premade queues and have at it.

Still keep the normal queues accessible for both groups and individuals. If I join as just myself (puggie) and I find myself facing FS, 528, LF, etc. I know it'll be a tough fight but winning or losing doesn't really matter to me as much as the thrill of on-the-edge dogfights. If we can down a couple or more of the premade before geting 15'ed, then that's good. If we somehow beat them that's even better lol.
Lt. Commander
# 37
05-31-2011, 01:31 AM
No need really for a complicated ranking system.

A queue that would accept only unteamed players would help alot already.

There is nothing worst for a casual PvPer than being pit against an organized pre-made team. Some days i log and feel like doing some PvP for fun. But the fun ends as soon as a pre-made group completely steamroll my random team 15-0. Usually, after such a match, i just say gg and log out of STO.

These unbalanced match are definitely not helping building a PvP community. No wonder PvP is empty and many people go AFK during games because they know they are no match for the other team and simply give up or dont bother trying. Whats the point, they ask. And theyre right.

At least, a forced random queue would prevent pre-made uber teams and vent users to show up all on the same side in the match.
Lt. Commander
# 38
05-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial_Fury
No need really for a complicated ranking system.

A queue that would accept only unteamed players would help alot already.

There is nothing worst for a casual PvPer than being pit against an organized pre-made team. Some days i log and feel like doing some PvP for fun. But the fun ends as soon as a pre-made group completely steamroll my random team 15-0. Usually, after such a match, i just say gg and log out of STO.

These unbalanced match are definitely not helping building a PvP community. No wonder PvP is empty and many people go AFK during games because they know they are no match for the other team and simply give up or dont bother trying. Whats the point, they ask. And theyre right.

At least, a forced random queue would prevent pre-made uber teams and vent users to show up all on the same side in the match.
As much as I would like to have "PUG queues" I do not like when people are forced to do something, so forcing premades to disband in all matches is big NONO from me.

Hence only logical choice are two types of queues.

I would leave the current maps as they are, for "premade" competitive gameplay. But would add a simple new queue called "Random Arena" or "Random CaH". In this mode you can only enter solo.

Time would show, which gameplay is preferred by players...
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
As much as I would like to have "PUG queues" I do not like when people are forced to do something, so forcing premades to disband in all matches is big NONO from me.

Hence only logical choice are two types of queues.

I would leave the current maps as they are, for "premade" competitive gameplay. But would add a simple new queue called "Random Arena" or "Random CaH". In this mode you can only enter solo.

Time would show, which gameplay is preferred by players...
As the current pop would cause issues with even more que options... I would have to say its time for Cryptic to admit the klink faction will never be the equal of the feds in terms of content. They need to create a Klink Tutorial mission that has a end of the war storyline... and have the next mission offered by star fleet in the Sol system... fold the klinks into the federation. Remove the FvK ques... and replace them with Random and Premade ques. Allow Klink and Fed teaming... Cats and Dogs livin together.

Honestly why not, they can save the resourses of making klink missions, and just make missions. We can perhaps get a pop of PvP life with the prospect of true mixed teams, feds get a carrier, Klinks get a sci ship... win win.
Lt. Commander
# 40
05-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
As the current pop would cause issues with even more que options...
I dont think so, smart queuing would not. It would be "KvF" random so to say. It would just make teams from whatever is available. If anything it would improve klingon pvp options.

Imagine...

33 feds and 13 klingons queue for "Random PvP Arena"

The system makes

2x matches of 5v5 KvF
2x matches of 5v5 FvF

3 Feds and 3 klingons would remain in the queue..

If anything, it would speed up matches for klingons...