Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek resort to open
05-24-2011, 07:36 PM
http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/jordan-is-getti.php

In the middle east though, so bring your personal shields.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Jordan is actually a rather lovely country.

Western perceptions of the middle east are a little... wrong...
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that is why the state department has issued several warnings about a high risk for terrorism there.

It is far more stable than surrounding countries, sure; but the whole region has problems. Same reason I don't visit Detroit anymore, even though I have family there. Chance of violence is small but still far higher than where I live in Portland, OR. Would rather not take the chance.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
To each their own I suppose. I've traveled to Jordan, Lebanon, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. They all felt pretty secure to me. But then again, places like Detroit don't really bother me either.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Jordan has had major terrorist attacks directed against foreigners. Hotels were bombed in 2005. So people worrying about that...are not entirely off-base. Let's be fair.

Of course, that's a general problem of the region and not the country per-se. Jordan itself has a very progressive society. But that doesn't change who its neighbours are.

Honestly, though...the bigger issue right now is Jordan's domestic issues. Major anti-government protests these past few months, the whole democracy/reform protest thing that started in Egypt and spread throughout the region.

Mind you, most Western observers are sympathising with the protesters, on the basis that reform is a good thing. At the same time, do you want to visit a country that's currently still reeling from police crackdown on riots in the streets?

(Yes, I know, the resort only opens in 2014, but I can't imagine Jordan's tourism is doing great right now.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I have only been to Israel once, loved it! The tour guides can keep you away from the not so good places, and by not so good I mean the people who try to pick pocket you.

Yes bad things can happen over there, and bad things can happen in the states, sure some pretty scary stuff comes out on the news but western news is all about shock value...

I would like to work there! that way I dont have to spend huge amounts to just be there all the time ^^ Just give me a job where I can take a lot of time off and I dont really do anything =p
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-24-2011, 08:19 PM
I should also point out, belatedly:-

1. Even though Jordan's government is unpopular, the Royal Family itself is still apparently supported, and the King retains ultimate authority - it's a constitutional monarchy.

2. King Abdullah is a major Star Trek fan, and appeared as an extra on Voyager. So you can bet that this resort is going to be backed 100% by Jordan, all the way to the top.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Jordan has had major terrorist attacks directed against foreigners. Hotels were bombed in 2005. So people worrying about that...are not entirely off-base. Let's be fair.
True, but there have been terrorist attacks in new york and london, does that mean we should never go there ever? Being afraid of past acts of terrorism means those acts of terrorism actually worked.

The main thing about travelling around the middle east is just knowing the culture and having good manners.. Then again this same tip applies just as easily to any country.

Anyways this should really be in ten forward, so i'm going to shut up..
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
True, but there have been terrorist attacks in new york and london, does that mean we should never go there ever? Being afraid of past acts of terrorism means those acts of terrorism actually worked.

The main thing about travelling around the middle east is just knowing the culture and having good manners.. Then again this same tip applies just as easily to any country.

Anyways this should really be in ten forward, so i'm going to shut up..
The truth is somewhere in the middle. No, there's not a suicide bomber behind every tree, but it's also not nearly as safe as walking down Main Street USA.

If all you visit are the major cities your view will be skewed as well...and that's sounds like your case.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
Jordan is actually a rather lovely country.

Western perceptions of the middle east are a little... wrong...
Completely off topic... But can you really blame us? Honestly the only time we get any video here in the news it's someone burning a flag, bombing a bus or convoy, or footage from the war over there. Gotta give props to the whole patriotic propaganda machine over here in the U.S., it does it's job of keeping us pretty blind. Having formerly worked loosely with military intelligence, I'm well aware of how it works. But even then it's difficult to say just how much one has to filter through what's bs and what isn't anymore.