Lt. Commander
# 11
05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Watch Al Jazerra, they have more human interest coverage of the area.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Jordan? Are you kidding me? An American franchise in Jordan? What idiot came up with this? Why not put it here in America, where Star Trek got started in the first place? This is absolutely ridiculous! Is this the kind of thing that passes for smart decisions now?
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-CIA
If all you visit are the major cities your view will be skewed as well...and that's sounds like your case.
Actually I find the small communities even more welcoming than the urban areas in most Arab countries. I've traveled the region pretty extensively and if there is one thing I have learned it's that there are a lot of people in this world that are just happy to meet someone new or share a story over a cup of tea.

There is risk and danger in every nation on earth, as long as you have good situational awareness and respect for your surroundings, you really shouldn't have anything to fear.

Anyways I only replied to the original post to point out that Aqaba, Jordan is a pretty laid-back place and not where someone would need to "wear a personal shield"... wasn't looking to start a debate.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Well Kudos for them choosing a Star Trek Theme. But $1 Billion is quite a large investment, though it would be interesting what it may end up when it's done.

Personally, wish it was closer to home.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
Jordan is actually a rather lovely country.

Western perceptions of the middle east are a little... wrong...
Jordan is very nice to visit. Along with a few other places.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Anyways I only replied to the original post to point out that Aqaba, Jordan is a pretty laid-back place and not where someone would need to "wear a personal shield"... wasn't looking to start a debate.
Lol! Nor was I in adding to it initially with our obviously skewed media based views on the region. Back to the topic at hand...

I too honestly find it a trifle odd that they've built a Trek themed location out that'away lol. Considering we have almost no such venues here actually in the U.S., not since "The Star Trek Experience" closed down in Las Vegas at any rate... Which is hilarious to me to begin with. You'd have to be one ridiculously hardcore Trekker to pass up the lights, shows, booze, gambling, and most notably the women of Vegas to instead go to a Trek themed resort.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Quote:
That and it's inspired by the 2009 J.J. Abrams' Star Trek flick.
Wut.

...Seriously, that's what we're getting?
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-25-2011, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
Wut.

...Seriously, that's what we're getting?
Well, you see, some of us actually enjoyed that movie. Personally, I loved it. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the TNG crew, but I'd rather see that "slice of Titan life" show Jonathan and Marina talked about wanting to do
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Jordan is actually a rather lovely country.

Western perceptions of the middle east are a little... wrong...
They are. I have friends who have lived/worked in the Middle East and it's an entirely different beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarian_Rakista
Yeah, that is why the state department has issued several warnings about a high risk for terrorism there.

It is far more stable than surrounding countries, sure; but the whole region has problems. Same reason I don't visit Detroit anymore, even though I have family there. Chance of violence is small but still far higher than where I live in Portland, OR. Would rather not take the chance.
Dude - the State Department is like an overly concerned parent. They're the mom or dad that always carries hypoallegenic baby wipes and loads the kids up with vitamins and doesn't let them go outside.

That said, there are warnings in lots of countries. Its safer than people realize, especially those that don't travel much. I worked at US Embassies at the end of my enlistment in the Marines and trust me: every country has things warned about and every country has crazies in it (including the USA).

Your chances of encountering violence in Jordan are about as high as crashing in plane (which is to say "not at all").
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Moving this to Ten Forward.