Lt. Commander
# 1 PVP Newb needs some help
05-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I have been, up to this point, strictly pve but I want to go to pvp. Is there a good source of info on PVP zones and what level is appropriate for wach zone? Also any good basic guides to PVPing in game? any links or resources would be appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2011, 03:06 PM
No zones ... just:
Ker'rat
Arenas
Cap and Hold
All of the above are restricted to each level (lt - lt cmd - commander, captain, admiral, va). Feel free to browse the PvP forums as you will find lots of useful info.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
The stickies at the top of the fourms have some great info. It got me started when I jumped into PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Also check the individual ship/career forums - there's quite a few PvP builds posted there.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Thank you for taking an interest in pvp, I trust you will find it the most challenging and rewarding aspect of STO. STO has a really fun PvP community, really helpful as well.

You gotta have thick skin.STO pvp can get downright brutal. Try not to take it personal. Don't get too cocky, and don't get discouraged. Don't get discouraged, get better.

You will run into premades, you will get handed serious defeats from time to time. Goes with the territory. Learn from the mistakes you made, and move on. Be willing to adapt and overcome.

Group up, get social, think tactically and play strategically. Join the OrganizedPvP (all 1 word) channell.

Know your cooldown's, and get to know the visual fx of abilities so you can recognize them without having to mouse over the icon.

Check your targets constantly. CC and spam are common, and focus fire is crucial to success.

Get to know your 'magic bullet' abilities, abilities that counter certain de-buffs to you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran_Mak_Morrn View Post
Thank you for taking an interest in pvp, I trust you will find it the most challenging and rewarding aspect of STO. STO has a really fun PvP community, really helpful as well.

You gotta have thick skin.STO pvp can get downright brutal. Try not to take it personal. Don't get too cocky, and don't get discouraged. Don't get discouraged, get better.

You will run into premades, you will get handed serious defeats from time to time. Goes with the territory. Learn from the mistakes you made, and move on. Be willing to adapt and overcome.

Group up, get social, think tactically and play strategically. Join the OrganizedPvP (all 1 word) channell.

Know your cooldown's, and get to know the visual fx of abilities so you can recognize them without having to mouse over the icon.

Check your targets constantly. CC and spam are common, and focus fire is crucial to success.

Get to know your 'magic bullet' abilities, abilities that counter certain de-buffs to you.
Thanks for the helpful encouragement. I am an old Starfleet Command player so the concept of brutal PVP is not new to me, plus I don't mind getting "whacked" alot while learning
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
plus I don't mind getting "whacked" alot while learning
Trial and error is the best learning way ever. As long as you learn from it
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-29-2011, 04:01 AM
hit up a friendly tsi member sometime, im sure it can be worked out to have you fly a mission or 2 with a group some time
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Remember Dassems first rule of PvP:

"In PvP, players die!"

But having experience with PvP, you probably know the importance of accepting this truth. The importance of not letting a few warp core breaches ruin your fun is essential.

Be ready to give up abilities you really enjoy, in favour of abilities that you really need.

Also, in STO PvP, teamwork is insanely efficient.If you face a well-tuned premade you're toast...
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
Remember Dassems first rule of PvP:

"In PvP, players die!"

But having experience with PvP, you probably know the importance of accepting this truth. The importance of not letting a few warp core breaches ruin your fun is essential.

Be ready to give up abilities you really enjoy, in favour of abilities that you really need.

Also, in STO PvP, teamwork is insanely efficient.If you face a well-tuned premade you're toast...
Can you give an example or two of Abilities you really need? I have the toughest time with that. specifically science abilities. My main is an Eng I currently run with two sci boffs I switch out. 1 has sci team and tractor beam the other is sci team and transfer shield strength... neither pairing impresses me much.