Lt. Commander
# 21 Haha Ain't It Cool
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
The nagus is wise. But, I don't think this is about likenesses. The EULA clearly says:
"You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines)."

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=209216

Look. I love the New Frontier series and am a fan of Peter as well. But this whole thing screams of bad idea. It sounds like from your exchange with Peter that your mission is based on the story from House of Cards, if so you're in violation of copyright law. If you actually used the characters in the mission you are again in violation of copyright as well as the Foundry EULA linked above.

As Peter mentions, permission is not his to give. It is Pocket Books. It sucks. But it is what it is.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant797 View Post
The nagus is wise. But, I don't think this is about likenesses. The EULA clearly says:
"You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines)."

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=209216

Look. I love the New Frontier series and am a fan of Peter as well. But this whole thing screams of bad idea. It sounds like from your exchange with Peter that your mission is based on the story from House of Cards, if so you're in violation of copyright law. If you actually used the characters in the mission you are again in violation of copyright as well as the Foundry EULA linked above.

As Peter mentions, permission is not his to give. It is Pocket Books. It sucks. But it is what it is.
I was able to track Peter David down so perhaps I can get in touch with someone from Pocket Books to get approval for what I wanna do.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgate View Post
I was able to track Peter David down so perhaps I can get in touch with someone from Pocket Books to get approval for what I wanna do.
You still dont seem to understand the point. No matter who you get permission from, the ONLY "person" that actually matters is Cryptic. Your playing their game, so until THEY tell you you can use the character in question you cant, no matter who else tells you you can.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You still dont seem to understand the point. No matter who you get permission from, the ONLY "person" that actually matters is Cryptic. Your playing their game, so until THEY tell you you can use the character in question you cant, no matter who else tells you you can.
In case you haven't noticed I have been giving you latitude until just now. You do not seem to get it. If I have a written authorization from Peter David(which I do) and then I get the same written authorization from Pocket books(Email into Peter David to check with his contacts to see about getting this.) then Cryptic has no reason to tell me no I can't use them to design the game content I want as long as it doesn't use or take advantage of other listed material.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
In case you haven't noticed I have been giving you latitude until just now. You do not seem to get it. If I have a written authorization from Peter David(which I do) and then I get the same written authorization from Pocket books(Email into Peter David to check with his contacts to see about getting this.) then Cryptic has no reason to tell me no I can't use them to design the game content I want as long as it doesn't use or take advantage of other listed material.
Actually there are quite a few reasons Cryptic may not give you permission. First of all, its still CBS's call regardless of what PocketBooks might say. Second, Cryptic apparently doesnt want people using NPCs that are connected to official missions in the game(like Admiral Quinn). So even if CBS didnt care, Cryptic still doesnt want NPCs that are part of official missions being used in the Foundry, per Stormshade's statement.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Actually there are quite a few reasons Cryptic may not give you permission. First of all, its still CBS's call regardless of what PocketBooks might say. Second, Cryptic apparently doesnt want people using NPCs that are connected to official missions in the game(like Admiral Quinn). So even if CBS didnt care, Cryptic still doesnt want NPCs that are part of official missions being used in the Foundry, per Stormshade's statement.
All I can say is we will see what will happen.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Quote:

On a side note do you realize the insanity of do not use novels web etc. I mean given the life history span of Star Trek. If you look hard enough thru the over 500 books that have been published I would guarantee you will eventually find a way to tie every single episode into one of those books that is currently on the foundry. Goes back to my days in college a professor said tell me an original story. It is absolutely impossilbe to tell an original story. When I say that you have to realize the professor was being very literal and very technical. As in someone tried to say there was a man and a woman bomb you lose cause the bible had adam and eve or steve lol. I think that makes the point.
I say this because my episodes knock on wood haven't yet been touched they have been played and yes if you go report a mission it will be pulled to save face. Maybe they are there because no one cares or maybe because of the sheer volume of missions who knows.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
On a side note do you realize the insanity of do not use novels web etc.
Hey, you dont have to convince me of anything. The only people you have to convince are Cryptic. So go for it, and update us on how it goes. My point is simply that Cryptic(not Peter David, not Pocket Books) are the people you have to convince.
Closed Thread