Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 101
06-02-2011, 11:59 PM
[quote=Zejak;3571520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devast8tor View Post
Ironically, had Cryptic executed and delivered on more of the original vision, the KDF player population might be much healther today. However, that possibility is just speculation.[/QUOTE]

If you had monitored how many players and fleets were on the forums leading up to launch date and monitored how many Klingon players and fleets made it into the closed Beta you could only imagine that had Cryptic followed through on even half of what they had been telling people there would be as many people playing KDF now as there are in the Federation. Of course this would include those who actually play both factions. What happened though? Initially following launch you saw a small group of Federation players complaining about the advantages KDF had followed by a fix to balance or over compensate in favor of the Federation...the next thing you'd see is KDF players complaining and being dropped or scoffed. That had a major impact on today's KDF population.

Earlier suggestions that Cryptic should "share" Fed PvE missions with KDF is a lazy way to do it, but I played KDF and it was PvP or shoot so many Cardassian ship missions over and over that a new person would leave after so many missions. A better option is to spend 6-8 months making a couple Klingon only low level missions and a couple mid level missions (not a lot) and that alone would attract players. It isn't like the KDF players are demanding even half of the number of missions offered to the Feds..Just enough to break the monotony. First Gain the interest of the fan and once they achieve a certain level, they'll stay.

Also, not all KDF players are tactical. By adding just a few science and engineering missions into PvE would help to. The reason you see so many tactical is that with the current system, there is no point having science in the KDF and engineers have become the STO version of Clerics/Healers in the old RPG MMOs.
"You need to buff me up" "Fix my ship".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
Ah yes.....the 12% defense....would it have been 12% if as much time and effort was invested in the KDF as they did with the Federation before and after launch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
It's a weird number that I don't fully understand.

Take me for instance.

I love my Nausicaan. But, he's the third character I got to max level. I got two federation characters to max level first. I still count one of them as my main. But I have a max level Nausicaan and I play the heck out of him every chance I get. So ... like ... I'm guessing I count towards the other 88% and not the 12%. But I mean, my posting tendencies did a full 180 once I actually began levelling my KDF and was able to exerpience the faction and see with my own character what everyone else was saying.

So I'm assuming that in the great KDF census, they count me as a fed.

Heh.

OOOOOh! Wouldn't it be super funny if they counted ONLY Klingons? Like that's the Klingon population? So the count didn't include other KDF races. Which as we all know, most people play aliens on the KDF side. lol
Here lies the rub. During head start Qo'noS literally crawled with players, Eta Iridani was plied with nearly as many KDF ship as UFP, and they expect us to believe that adding content for such a, (presently), small faction would hurt the main player base? Seems to me that if if the KDF was a fuller faction from the start there would be a larger KDF faction still today. At least one that was much closer to the poll numbers that the Neilson Group gathered for Perpetual. I would hazard the numbers would be closer to 30% active KDF players at any given time.

Given the amount of KDF fleets there once were and how many there are now I do not believe that it is not an unreasonable line of speculation to assume that STO's over all population, and player retention would be higher if there was more to do as a KDF player.
Lt. Commander
# 102
06-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Quote:
It's a weird number that I don't fully understand.

Take me for instance.

I love my Nausicaan. But, he's the third character I got to max level. I got two federation characters to max level first. I still count one of them as my main. But I have a max level Nausicaan and I play the heck out of him every chance I get. So ... like ... I'm guessing I count towards the other 88% and not the 12%. But I mean, my posting tendencies did a full 180 once I actually began levelling my KDF and was able to exerpience the faction and see with my own character what everyone else was saying.

So I'm assuming that in the great KDF census, they count me as a fed.

Heh.

OOOOOh! Wouldn't it be super funny if they counted ONLY Klingons? Like that's the Klingon population? So the count didn't include other KDF races. Which as we all know, most people play aliens on the KDF side. lol
I doubt that, to be honest. I suspect they really measure every player that has a KDF character, no matter how many they have and if they also have Feds.
Lt. Commander
# 103
06-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Klingons are an unlockable Federation exclusive Faction option.

They are a timesink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran_Mak_Morrn View Post
Timesinks are what players do between content updates, examples include dailies, gear grind, crafting, and alternate characters.
Alternate characters are important to the timesink, because they make it longer.

Longer timesinks mean longer waits between content is possible.
This makes for longer time in testing, and less buggy, higher quality content.
The #1issue players have with Sto's content updates, is bugs (pengpeng).

If the recent FE's are any indication, there's clearly an interest in repeatable content, gear grinds,and crafting. Most people with multiple toons perform the timesinks on multiple toons.

It's also clear content needs more time in testing, to fix bugs and balance issues.

Right now interest in KDF is at an all-time high among UFP players. The UFP is even getting exclusive Klingon-themed content,a phenomenal success, btw.

Why not capitalize on this-develop KDF content that really gives UFP players incentive to roll KDF toons, and gives those UFP players that have KDF toons more options and thing to do.

This would provide a sustainable, viable, more endurable increase to the timesink.
It would give devs more time to fix bugs before they go live, meaning better content.
And it would satisfy the UFP interest in the KDF, and give KDF more people to play with.

There's no question, more KDF content is a win for everyone.
It's just good business
Lt. Commander
# 104
06-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I doubt that, to be honest. I suspect they really measure every player that has a KDF character, no matter how many they have and if they also have Feds.
Then the 12% number seems entirely too low. Back even when I played primarily on the Federation side, just about everyone I knew had a Klingon alt at various stages of pre-endgame stagnation.

The smart way to count would be to only count end game KDF players. These are the ones blowing money on the Cash shop. Or even end game KDF players who have an active account, or a lifetime sub that has been active within the past 3 months.
Lt. Commander
# 105
06-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Then the 12% number seems entirely too low. Back even when I played primarily on the Federation side, just about everyone I knew had a Klingon alt at various stages of pre-endgame stagnation.

The smart way to count would be to only count end game KDF players. These are the ones blowing money on the Cash shop. Or even end game KDF players who have an active account, or a lifetime sub that has been active within the past 3 months.
That's why the number seems weird to me. Most everyone I've met in-game who plays a fed has a klingon alt.
Lt. Commander
# 106
06-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Quote:
That's why the number seems weird to me. Most everyone I've met in-game who plays a fed has a klingon alt.
It possible that number is the number time played on Klingons vs the number play on federation in set time.

so for example let take my characters in month time lets say I play about 20 hours a week. In a month that be about 80 hours. Let say of that 80 hours I play my Klingon character say 9.6 hours. That would give a numbe r of 12% when looking just at my characters as to which faction I am playing.

It possible that the 12% is total hours the klingon faction is played by all players vs the total hours everyone plays.
Lt. Commander
# 107
06-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
It could be that they count the total time spent on either side,not the number of players/characters.So for example: of a 1000 hours of gameplay,880 hours is spent on the Fed side and 120 hours is spent on the KDF side.

Quote:
It possible that the 12% is total hours the klingon faction is played by all players vs the total hours everyone plays.
Damn,got ninja'd by RCO.:p
Lt. Commander
# 108
06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
The problem with the 12% number is that we don't have a context to work with. For all we know it could represent all of the Klingon captains who wear an eyepatch and fly carriers whilst whistling the Star Spangled Banner and doing reverse double somersaults through a loop. Without something to compare we have no idea where they got the number from.
Lt. Commander
# 109
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
The problem with the 12% number is that we don't have a context to work with. For all we know it could represent all of the Klingon captains who wear an eyepatch and fly carriers whilst whistling the Star Spangled Banner and doing reverse double somersaults through a loop. Without something to compare we have no idea where they got the number from.
It's the same as when we ask about new KDF content.....we always get the same reply: "We are working on it." Working on what exactly??? Are we talking missions and ships here....or a new eyepatch?
Lt. Commander
# 110
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Actually there's no real need to guess where dstahl's getting that number from.

We already know that the Cryptic Devs are real big on using in-game metrics. They've mentioned it numerous times on these forums, on the CO forums, and on the City of Heroes/Villains forums when they were still running it.

And dstahl's very next post in that same thread shows that that's what he is talking about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
don't put too much faith in that number - it literally changes week to week.
So that makes it pretty obvious when he said "12%" he was talking about the number of players who'd logged on with their KDF characters that week. Which means that if, like I was, you have a KDF character, but are waiting until content becomes available before you play KDF side, then you don't show up in their metrics as "a KDF player."

So players are waiting for KDF content to become available before they play, and the devs are waiting for people to start playing KDF side before they spend more resources on the KDF side. This has led us to the "Chicken and Egg" dilemma that we're currently in. Couple that with the fact that many people won't continue to pay for a game that isn't offering them the playstyle that they want, and you have a whole lot more interest in the Klingon Empire than shows up in their metrics.

Even if the Klingon Empire had all of the options that the Federation does, and as much in-depth story-based game play as the Federation does, would it ever have as large a player-base as the Federation does? Probably not. But some polls have shown that as much as 25% - 30% of players would like to be primarily Klingon players. That's roughly a 20% increase in their current numbers and possibly represents a good increase in their subscription numbers as well.

But as long as they continue to short-change the Empire, in terms of development, then we'll never really know.
Closed Thread