Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I would like to see Cryptic hire another full team for the Klingon part of the game, if a company invests in a product it wants to do well, it will! I heard Stahl talk about how very few people used The Klingons, Thatís why they donít get any ďloveĒ. Then later I heard that if you play them your about 10% of the game that does. To quote General Patton, ďThe problem is obvious! They donít look soldiers, they donít act like soldiers. Why should they be expected to fight like soldiers?Ē

In the same vain The Klingons donít have very much; in fact some of what was an option for Klingon players are not options anymore such as using the best buy tribble, Sure it doesnít do the Klingons any good, it still worked with the Orions and the Gorn and the Aliens in this section of the game. So, why remove it? Another thing that has been removed is the Orion Bikini option; I for one would like to use it, I never heard why it was removed. Itís still a minus! I thought the idea was to add options and features to entice people to use them, Not to take it way.

In my time on STO, Iíve seen many items offered to the Federation but not so much the Klingons, Donít get me wrong I play them both, (I have one of each division in game (Sci, Tac, Eng.) in both factions and 2 additional toons for creating content in ether faction.) and will most likely play any new faction that comes out.

So I suggest the problem is reciprocal, you have no money for the Klingon part because the players arenít there; you have no players for this fine part of the game because the company hasnít invested in it.
Anyway please donít try to tell me that itís because the Klingons arenít popular, I remind you that Star Trek Klingon Academy was a huge hit! And that some of the best parts of the shows and movies revolved around klingons!

Food for thought! Am I wrong what are your thoughts?

P.S. This is in no way a flame of Cryptic; Iím just a guy exercising my first amendment rights.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith1
I would like to see Cryptic hire another full team for the Klingon part of the game...
The reason that the vast majority of content is faction agnostic is quite specifically because they can't afford to do otherwise.

With the PW deal in the works that might change, or it might not.

And of course even if the PW deal does lead to significantly more funding there are a lot of concerns that are arguably more pressing which effect broader groups (like PvP issues, lack of endgame, gear issues, etc.).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Going purely from a business point of view, the return from the few new players this would bring to the game (rather than a few more feds creating klink characters) would not warrant essentially doubling the current payroll by hiring a separate team.

The klingons do need more love, but the effort tends to go where the money is I'm afraid. They are a business after all, and the better the game does the longer it stays afloat and progresses.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I said this in another post, But it applies here

The Company must remain viable, 400 may seem a steep price, (For Boff and Ship slots) and I think so also. Its basic business, sell what you can to recoup the cost of the product and or service and make a profit. So now the question becomes are they selling enough of these items to do that and perhaps bring prices down... after all no one does business to lose money.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
They built it and very few came. For any and all reasons, the players just didn't find it interesting enough or had enough patience to stick it out. The population dwindled and is probably in the low teen percentages of the player base now. It's not logical nor smart business to attempt to cater to such a small percentage of your games' player base in an attempt to build it up when you have such limited resources to use. It is logical and smart business to cater to the high percentage of your player base that are interested and do stick around.

This does not bode well for the future, in my thinking, because there will be even less of an interest in any other factions to be introduced into STO as a stand alone faction. The percentages of the player base that actually play the other factions will probably not ever reach even a third of the total player base. I just don't see that much interest in other factions currently. Whatever gimmick or content or enticement is created to lure players to the other factions, the Feds will always be the predominant faction in STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleming86 View Post
Going purely from a business point of view, the return from the few new players this would bring to the game (rather than a few more feds creating klink characters) would not warrant essentially doubling the current payroll by hiring a separate team.

The klingons do need more love, but the effort tends to go where the money is I'm afraid. They are a business after all, and the better the game does the longer it stays afloat and progresses.
You sir are incorrect. I've played KDF pretty much exclusively since OB, but I've taken a few breaks along the way. The number of KDF players (who also played KDF exclusively) that I know of that have either quit the game or go on similar extended leaves of absence is in the dozens. There have been entire KDF FLEETS leave the game, since OB.

This is not uncommon among KDF-exclusive players.

"Few new players?" No, we're talking about the possibility of bringing back a lot of retired players too.

A concentrated effort to bring back retired KDF players would pay off big-time in the long-run, I've said it many times before and it still holds true. Espescially if you can retain said players. No business stays afloat if it continues down a path that hemorraghes customers (in this case a playerbase). Businesses that continue to expand, seek out new customers, they thrive.

Do you think UFP players would leave the game if CS put UFP content on hiatus for 5 months to focus on KDF content, or do you think those UFP players would play KDF? Do you not think the UFP already has enough content for those players completely uninterested in playing KDF to 'ride it out' a couple of months? Look what happened to the Klingon playerbase when CS focused on UFP content- more KDF rolled UFP toons.

To say that there is no profit to be gained in expanding the Klingon experience is downright absurd.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
They built it and very few came.
I disagree with this statement. They built the famework and very few came, but saying "they built it" sounds like it was a full faction and it wasnt; not even close.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran_Mak_Morrn View Post
This is not uncommon among KDF-exclusive players.

Do you think UFP players would leave the game if CS put UFP content on hiatus for 5 months to focus on KDF content, or do you think those UFP players would play KDF?
Yes, I believe UFP players would leave if they were subjected to five months without a content update. I do not believe they'd roll KDF because the five months of Klingon content that we see would be sporadically added as probably between 1 and 3 sub par missions each week and scaled for a fixed level. In essence, it would be waiting, with baited breath, for content equivalent to what the UFP started the game with, and that content isn't worth waiting for or grinding an alt for.

Quote:
Do you not think the UFP already has enough content for those players completely uninterested in playing KDF to 'ride it out' a couple of months?
I do not in any way think the UFP already has enough content, and certainly not enough for players who've already done the content once to 'ride it out' for five months.

Quote:
Look what happened to the Klingon playerbase when CS focused on UFP content- more KDF rolled UFP toons.

To say that there is no profit to be gained in expanding the Klingon experience is downright absurd.
There is no immediate profit in catering to a 12% minority exclusively. I hate it too but recognize the reality of our predicament
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I think Cryptic does not realize how many true Klingon fans are out there. I belong to 2 fan clubs
the Klingon Assault Group and Klingon Alliance International. Besides dressing up for conventions doing charity groups, costuming for others and building props some come here to command a Klingon Ship it is
one of the few games since Klingon Academy that on can do so. If you doubt that theres a site
Called Klingonspace where alot of us post photos and information. KAG and KAI have websites.
As does the Klingon Language Institute. (yes there really is one!) I am studying the Klingon Language there online. I wish they would fully flesh out the faction. there is a segment of fans they are missing.
And some of us take being klingon very seriously.


Qapla Batlh Je!


Marok
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
The reason that the vast majority of content is faction agnostic is quite specifically because they can't afford to do otherwise.
But ... but ... but ... the c-store?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM.