Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-31-2011, 11:45 AM
An official thread? Much appreciated, Wishstone

I'll post my opinion on this here as well:

I think this is a good thing, no matter what changes do or do not come about in the way Cryptic operates. They have now moved from a cash strapped publisher that is well known for it's blunders in recent years, to a publisher that is flourishing and (obviously) growing, with massive online games already under it's wing.

Will STO transition to a F2P model? It's possible, but then it's always been possible. I would love to see a hybrid F2P model put in place, much like CO's. However, this purchase does not mean that everything/anything IS going to change. We might not even notice the difference, aside from different logos on the website and game intro. We'll just have to wait and see.

I look forward to seeing what comes about now that we know whats going on with the studio. Best of luck to Cryptic & Perfect World on their new business venture. Live long & prosper, STO.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
Will the C-Store remain the same or will it change into PWE's store?
i want to know what happens to our atari points, i dont wanna have to play there games just cos i'm lumped with some AP i cant use on a game i want to play
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I too am curious to hear an official statement and perhaps the answering of some questions.

Regardless, I am not concerned. I will support this game because I enjoy it. I believe it will be around for a good long while.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-31-2011, 11:51 AM
The start of this thread should have printed in big friendly letters DON'T PANIC It certainly seems to me that we shouldn't, at least not yet.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Were he not cremated, Roddenberry would be spinning in his grave right now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice to get a resolution to this situation. Also nice of you WishStone to provide certainty by posting this yourself (I was sceptical until someone at Cryptic put it up).

I personally hope Cryptic will strengthen from this. Roll out the details of any changes when you can! Here's to clear horizons. My good friends, make it so.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Great news as far as I'm concerned, and bring on the F2P. Subscribers will get more for their money than they already do, and people who dont want to subscribe still get to play and buy the specific things they want.
Nagus, there have only been a handful of times I didn't agree with you, & this is one of them. Do you really think F2P would ultimately be in the best interest of STO? The plus to this idea would be ALOT of new players would jump into STO. The downside would be making the C-Store a much bigger, hotter topic then it is now, not to mention alot more troublemakers joining into the new playerbase. From my experience in playing CO, this has become my opinion on the possiblity of STO going F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, this thread seems to be Quantum Leaping about a lot! Here's to the next thread about Perfect World in 5, 4, 3, 2 ... Oh, boy! :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Great news as far as I'm concerned, and bring on the F2P.
Having spent close to two years with PW before this game I am not hopeful about the future of STO. Uber gear in the cash shop, changing Territory Wars to make them pointless for non cash shop players... Yeah, lets not bring that in to STO.

My only hope is that PW (parent company) allows Cryptic to function as an American company then we might be okay, but if they start making the changes like they did to PWI (game) to coincide with the Chinese market, then it won't be friendly to casual gamers at all. PWE (American subsidiary) even admitted the changes were not friendly to the Western world, but they had to change them because PW said so,
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokesmith View Post
The start of this thread should have printed in big friendly letters DON'T PANIC It certainly seems to me that we shouldn't, at least not yet.
They probably don't want Megadodo Publications (or Infinidum Enterprises, depending on how the temporal breaks work out) coming at them for copyright infringement.

Closed Thread