Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Agreed. The original drawings were "okay", but I'm glad that Cryptic's art department could see what the artist was wanting to do and made it "fit".

I'm excited to see it in-game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
See! Everyone loves it with a 3D model instead of the simple black and white.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Yup. Very rarely is the concept art exactly the same as the finished product.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Ug, ug, ug! Ick, get the bad taste out of my mouth!

I have to say, I liked the concept drawing better than this, and you all know what I think of the concept drawing! *shudders*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeap its looking worse and worse. But I hope the finished product can bring it to life. As of now... Im just gonna call it whatever class it ends up being. Never be the Enterprise.... to me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Ug, ug, ug! Ick, get the bad taste out of my mouth!

I have to say, I liked the concept drawing better than this, and you all know what I think of the concept drawing! *shudders*
it's just the basic 3D model: no textures or details yet... and therefore not even close to the final version
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stahl, Executive Producer of Star Trek Online:
...the dual necks moved the design into a concept that is reminiscent of the Oberth without a central neck.
Am I the only one who doesn't like this ship?

According to the makers of Star Trek III, and the people who designed the Grissom, the Oberth was intentionally designed to look ridiculous.

The new Enterprise should not share any similarities with a ship with 2 skinny necks holding it together, which was designed to get blown up with one shot by a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Stahl talks about how the new Enterprise is supposed to be this badass ship that could be the Federation flagship while they are at war with everyone on multiple fronts. Yet he then mentions that they went with this design partly because it was reminiscent of the ****ing Oberth class.

The refit Constitution Class is my favourite ship in Star Trek, though I have no complaints with the Enterprise's B through E. But this F, now that I have seen a 3D model of it, I doubt I will ever like.

And it's too bad, there were some very good entries for the "design the next Enterprise contest", but this was not one of them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Needless to say, the Alpha Quadrant is a very dangerous place in Star Trek Online and it needs a flagship that can represent Starfleet in a time of war. It needs a new Enterprise.
No offense, but what designer of a warship would put such obvious vulnerabilities into the design? You can use whatever Treknobable to justify it being safe, but those struts are just asking for hostiles to target it. Just taking out strut and the entire ship is compromised.

Quote:
The design needed to show an evolution to existing Starfleet designs and in some way acknowledge that the Enterprise-J was coming in the future.
This confused me, where is the elements that lead to the J?


The Clay Model:

The saucer looks like it was directly ripped off the Sovereign and just narrowed the bow into more of an angular shape and then widened the saucer's shuttlebay at the rear.

The saucer struts from the front is rather unpleasent how it goes from horribily thick to a thin base. It is not elegant.

And not sure about all the mass of the Secondary Hull. Thought there was some unique twist to it.




For a moment when Ihle posted his new drawings on TrekBBS, I thought I could grow to like this. But this clay model just makes me think otherwise. This is not the Enterprise to me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
Am I the only one who doesn't like this ship?

According to the makers of Star Trek III, and the people who designed the Grissom, the Oberth was intentionally designed to look ridiculous.

The new Enterprise should not share any similarities with a ship with 2 skinny necks holding it together, which was designed to get blown up with one shot by a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Stahl talks about how the new Enterprise is supposed to be this badass ship that could be the Federation flagship while they are at war with everyone on multiple fronts. Yet he then mentions that they went with this design partly because it was reminiscent of the ****ing Oberth class.

The refit Constitution Class is my favourite ship in Star Trek, though I have no complaints with the Enterprise's B through E. But this F, now that I have seen a 3D model of it, I doubt I will ever like.

And it's too bad, there were some very good entries for the "design the next Enterprise contest", but this was not one of them.
Speaking of good entries, can we get Madden's, Calloway's, and Wiexlmans as the fan favorite counterparts to this ship?

As for the sillyness of the Oberth-o-prise, that has been, and always will be my main complaint, and highest reason for my utter shame at seeing this ship in this game. Not only is it unsuited for the time it finds itself in, it's also based around the gimmick of a scout ship with a logical unmanned sensor array being held on by this method.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
No offense, but what designer of a warship would put such obvious vulnerabilities into the design? You can use whatever Treknobable to justify it being safe, but those struts are just asking for hostiles to target it. Just taking out strut and the entire ship is compromised.



This confused me, where is the elements that lead to the J? .
And yet for 150 or so years the majority of Star Fleet cruisers have had ONE rather thin neck - yet they did okay in combat.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 PM.