Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
So, yeah, the title says it all. I love this game and I wish it nothing but success, but I'm very worried. Anyone else in the same boat? ATARI was bad enough, making them change Cryptic Points to Atari Points, etc. and now they just up and sold them to some Chinese company that makes terrible Free-2-Play MMORPGs.

Just google it. Anyway, who else is worried?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Nobody who looks at the facts is overly worried. Considering they have a hands off approach to Runic and are financially strong unlike Atari, also there's an Official thread for this, http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=217524

Also that terrible F2P MMO has 20 something million subscribers.

Just google it. The info is there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan_chShran View Post
So, yeah, the title says it all. I love this game and I wish it nothing but success, but I'm very worried. Anyone else in the same boat? ATARI was bad enough, making them change Cryptic Points to Atari Points, etc. and now they just up and sold them to some Chinese company that makes terrible Free-2-Play MMORPGs.

Just google it. Anyway, who else is worried?
You're a tad bit late to the discussion party (link)

As for worried - nope - PWI has something Atari doesn't - MMO development experience, money (as in they've operated in the black for years); and Cryptic ISN'T their first North American/U.S. dev studio aquisition (Runic Games in Seattle is also 'owned' by PWI.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
You're a tad bit late to the discussion party (link)

As for worried - nope - PWI has something Atari doesn't - MMO development experience, money (as in they've operated in the black for years); and Cryptic ISN'T their first North American/U.S. dev studio aquisition (Rinic Games in Seattle is also 'owned' by PWI.)
Precisely. PWI has taken a very hands off approach to Runic, and they've been successful in that regard. It's a pretty good bet that the guys at PW are smart and see that Cryptic's got a good thing going and won't fudge with it. And if, [EMPHASIS] IF [/EMPHASIS] STO went Free to play its a pretty good bet it'd be the freemium concept like Champions, which can only mean more for your money.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Already got my Chinese/English dictionary, so I'm set to go.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-01-2011, 01:50 AM
im i worried? not really. people panic too much.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Hands off doesn't even begin to describe how PWI has handled the three companies it's bought (It also has Windysoft and MAIET). None of the three even have the PWI logo on their business or game websites, even though two of them were already on the same business model as Perfect World itself. You wouldn't even know they owned any of them unless you went to PWI's website.

Considering people's top theories were EA, Activision, CBS, and NC Soft...
EA: Has gutted virtually every developer they've bought, and notorious for poor treatment of its workers.
Activision: Dumps finished games scarce days from release when they decide expansion/sequel potential isn't good enough, and is "distressed" that the 900 pound gorilla they bought isn't pushing new expansions every year like they want. Cryptic doesn't have the benefit of being able to buy the entire rest of Activision twice over to prove a point like Blizzard does.
NC Soft: Would most likely take prompt and macabre revenge on Cryptic.

I gotta say, going to a company that doesn't even plaster it's logo on the games it buys, I think they got off fairly easy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Now that I have looked, seems like perfict world doesnt do anything like STO or even chapions. Probly the main reson that thay are buying cryptic is thay want to get threre hands on the large advanced star trek online and champions online with the foundry tech etc. seems like cryptic was a perfict target for an expanding MMO company.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Unless it's the turn of a century and/or millenium, only one doomsday prophecy is allowed per year. And Harold Camping beat you to it this time around. Sorry chum. If it's any consolation, I'm sure you're equally as accurate in your prediction though
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
COMMIES?!?! WOA LETS EVERYBODY GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE!!!!!
Closed Thread