Lt. Commander
I played the trial of STO about six months ago with the same machine except with a different video card and had no problems. I didn't buy it then, but I did buy it a few days ago. However, when I first bought it I had all the game's settings at max because my system should easily handle the task. Instead, the game would crash within 10-15 minutes of loading in, though it was usually under one minute.

I attempted to verify the game's files with the patcher quite a few times after crashes with no improvement and then uninstalled the Steam version of the game and got the client downloader from the official site, also with no improvement. I read a bit and saw that dynamic lighting and anti-aliasing could cause crashing, but turning those off didn't help. Finally, I tried turning all of my graphics settings to minimum.

The game is playable, but it does still crash after playing for many hours, and then it will usually crash once or twice in the next hour after that. I have a Radeon HD 6870 with the latest Catalyst drivers (11.5) currently. My previous card, which ran the game fine, was a Radeon HD 4870X2.

Is there anything I may be able to do to play the game fine? Using the old card is not an option, since it's barely functional now. Also please note that these crashes are crashes to the desktop with a Cryptic Error box.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Post up a dxdiag report for your system and we'll take a look. Have you already verified that you are not having power consumption or overheating problems with the GPU / CPU?
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Power should not be an issue. I have a 1KW supply with my single HD 6870. In addition, STO is the only game with which I have any issues.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Seems to be the culprit, I am guessing your overclocking it. May be due to overheating.

You also want to perhaps update your Sound Card driver to a recent one.

http://support.creative.com/Products...T=CategoryID:1
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-01-2011, 11:51 PM
The processor temperatures are within normal ranges: the first core was 60C and the rest were 50C, all under load. I updated the sound driver to the latest and tested at maximum graphics. The strange part is that I traveled for a solid ten minutes across space to get back to Earth and didn't crash. No more than a minute after landing and wandering around, the game crashed.

I have tried this out before and I did crash in space once while trying to get the game to work several days ago. The odd part is that it can't just be Dynamic Lighting or Antialiasing, since the game still crashes when I turn them off. Even when I have my graphics set to minimum for everything, the game will still crash after 5-6 hours of play.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2011, 02:11 AM
This may sound strange but i had simmilar issues 6 months ago and it was due to a failing memory stick only sto showed up the problem.
But when i run a detailed memory scan one of my sticks was on its way out so i swoped it out and all was good
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
It does help to turn off post processing...it is very noticeable in the final room of the STF' Infected'.....try it anywhere where there is alot of background light and straight away your system will go quieter
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjtkirk
This may sound strange but i had simmilar issues 6 months ago and it was due to a failing memory stick only sto showed up the problem.
But when i run a detailed memory scan one of my sticks was on its way out so i swoped it out and all was good
Which memory test software did you use?
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I just realized that when I crash and let the launcher verify, it always seems to redownload these same files:
Phyx_Loader.dll, xinput1_3.dll, Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
Does this help diagnose the problem?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseboat
I just realized that when I crash and let the launcher verify, it always seems to redownload these same files:
Phyx_Loader.dll, xinput1_3.dll, Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
Does this help diagnose the problem?
There are a couple of options I see after performing a quick forums search.

Are you by chance outside the US, if so, try setting the Launcher to use the nearest proxy server.

Check to make sure that gameclient.exe is set to run as Administrator.

Check C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios for a text file called errors. Do you see entries such as:

100724 22:42:02 32 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest!

If so, try disabling your A/V autoprotect, or possibly try deleting those files. If you are using Panda Anti-Virus, it is known to cause game file corruption.

If that doesn't work, you can try: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ight=hogg+file